Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Question Creamy wild rice soup

I know awhile back someone posted about a delicious creamy wild rice soup (I think with chicken and maybe mushrooms) in one of the dinner threads. I can't seem to find the recipe.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #2
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Creamy wild rice soup

Pretty sure it was Rene.

Search might not work, but google does.
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...8&postcount=10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

Last edited by sweetpeasmommy; 04-13-2019 at 07:59 PM.
sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
charla (04-13-2019), MaybeGracie (04-14-2019), Singingmom (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Creamy wild rice soup

I never thought about trying google. Great idea! And thanks for finding the recipe!

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 04-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

It is SO good! I've made it a lot and guests rave about it.

I've also used milk instead of cream, or part milk and part cream and it was just as good.

I add the cooked wild rice at the end. I substitute herbes de Provence for the rubbed sage and I add garlic.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 04-15-2019 at 09:57 PM. Reason: clarity
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
charla (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
It is SO good! I've made it a lot and guests rave about it.

I've also used milk instead of cream, or part milk and part cream and it was just as good.

I add the cooked wild rice at the end and I add garlic. I substitute herbes de Provence for the rubbed sage.
Why do you cook the rice first? Can't you just cook it in the soup?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

The recipe calls for cooked wild rice, added at the beginning. I cook the wild rice in my Instant Pot during the day, using the timer delay, so it's done about the same time as the soup, then I add it.

You could add raw wild rice to the soup but you'd need to add quite a bit more broth. It absorbs about 3x its volume in liquid, usually, and takes over 60 minutes to cook simmering on the stove, about 35 minutes in a pressure cooker. I'm not sure how long it would take in a slow cooker. It's possible it might not even be done after 8 hours on low.
heartofjoy (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you use 100% wild rice or a wild rice blend?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
Do you use 100% wild rice or a wild rice blend?
I use 100% wild rice. If I was going to use a blend I would definitely cook it separately and add it at the end. You could use any grain you wanted, even quinoa. Just cook it separately and add it at the end if you think it will soften too much.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

ETA wild rice is very expensive. It's also very nutritious and we don't eat it all the time so I can budget for it on occasion. I grew up eating a lot of wild rice so I love having it from time to time.
heartofjoy (04-24-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #9
charla
Administrator

I'm going to try this this weekend! I'm going to do a wild rice blend and add it at the end.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 11-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
es to what soliloquy says You can absolutely add uncooked wild rice but it absorbs 3-4xs it’s volume in liquiid, and you can’t control how much it is ultimately going to soak up during the day, which means it can end up too thick or too thin at the end, not to mention variability in how long it can take to cook on low.

I use 100% wild rice because it does not degrade even if added to the crock pot to simmer at the very beginning— l also will add it at the end, just depending on what is going on in my kitchen w/timing. Anything else can run the risk of overcooking and getting pasty/glue-y depending on how long it simmers, though I have no doubt you can play around with it.

The real lynchpins to this recipe is keeping the liquid ratios along with the roux ratios. Beyond that there is a wide flexibility to adjust it for your taste/liking: add more or less herbs, switch around vegetables etc etc. I can’t even remember the exact recipe I began with, as I continued to tweak it and tweak it until it was thick enough to our liking with a texture and flavor we like. But even with that, I can’t give you measurements on how much chicken & mirepoix I put in there, or even rice...I just keep eyeballing it . The key for me is thick enough to have a coat cling to a spoon, but not so thick that’s it’s like a pudding.
I want to keep this note.