Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute
Default What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

I'm drawing a blank as I consider what to fix...that is portable and not too spicy...(the mother is nursing!)

What are some of your standbys for this situation? Or what meal has someone brought to you that was especially enjoyed?
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
inesperada
Rose Garden

Play nice, y'all.

inesperada has disabled reputation
Default Re: What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

My favorite to give and to receive has always been a whole roasted chicken and some sort of side dish that is easy to eat one-handed.

Wife of mi medianaranja, the tender-hearted servant, whose still waters run deep
Abbott, intensely 10
Hooch, SIX!
Our God is the God of the unexpected. ~Bill Crowder
inesperada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to inesperada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Michelle-Lea
Rose Bouquet

Michelle-Lea is on a distinguished road

Various sandwich meats and bread
Lasagna
Beef stew
Chicken pot pie
Michelle-Lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

Someone brought us honey mustard chicken, mashed potatoes, caesar salad & garlic bread. Oh, and brownies I still remember that meal fondly.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm...one I usually do is

make a chicken stock
saute uncooked rice and pasta in olive oil
put the rice/pasta mix in the stock, along with a couple of cans of corn
simmer until it's casserole consistency.

Kind of a homemade Rice-a-Roni type thing, with no preservatives or gunk. And the corn gives you a bonus veggie without adding another dish to heat up

throw in some homemade biscuits (4 c. s/r flour, a glob of shortening the size of a really big egg, 2c. buttermilk.)

No, I didn't grow up Southern. Really.

ETA: don't throw the biscuits in the casserole. I meant throw in as in 'bring with'. Just to clear up any confusion!
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensmom
make a chicken stock
saute uncooked rice and pasta in olive oil
put the rice/pasta mix in the stock, along with a couple of cans of corn
simmer until it's casserole consistency.
I'm going to make that for dinner.

I was just going to post to ask what to make for my family where one kid threw up this morning but is begging for food & the other only eats plain things with no visible green. This fits the bill! How much chicken stock & how much rice pasta?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #7
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

I usually cook it in two-to-one ratios....so if I'm planning on cooking 4 cups of the rice/pasta I use about 8 c. of stock

Might be cooking that tonight, myself
Old 01-18-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

oh - and sorry about your sick one!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

we got barbecued beef brisket one time; another fondly remember meal with leftrover potential was a crockpotted beef roast, potatoes and carrots. Another great one was a family meal to go from Buddy's bbq. We got meals every other day for two weeks, so usually we had leftovers in between.
I usually make a chicken tetrazzini with salad, bread, and chococlate chip cookies or brownies. One time I did fresh green beans w/ham, homemade mac and cheese in a grownup version, and homemeade strawberry pie that went over quite well.
I enjoy cooking for other people more than my own family for some reason.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #10
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

baked spaghetti is easy and good.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #11
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute

Chicken Divan, Rice, Crescent Rolls, and Brownies. I usually make the Chicken Divan in 2 half pans for a small family - so they can freeze one for later
AmyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #12
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing that is like a pot pie, because I must've gotten 5 meals like that in one week after my dd was born. I'm not really a pot pie person anyways, but the thought was super nice.

I was on the committee for bringing food to new mothers at my old church. People most seemed to appreciate my baked ziti with garlic bread and a salad. I would make two dishes, and put them in the aluminum bakers that can be re-used or thrown away. Then they could freeze one and eat the other.

I also got a lot of compliments on vegetable lasagna, homemade mac and cheese, and basically anything that can be doubled and frozen. If you have a little extra time, it is really pretty to get some pound cake and cut it into the letters of the baby's name. Put it in a pretty bakery box, sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Then put a big bow around it, and it is really special

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (11-02-2012), ECingMama (08-11-2012)
Old 01-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #13
kris10s
Deactivated

kris10s is on a distinguished road

I usually ask if they are overrun with any particular kind of food and based on that either do
mexican lasagna (in two small pans to freeze or use) & bread
chicken corn chowder or tomato basil soup and quiche
salad with chicken (in the summer)
and dessert with whichever meal
kris10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I usually call and offer 2 options. So far they have all picked chicken pot pie. Otherwise stuffed chicken is a new one on my list.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #15
cheri
Rose Garden

cheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond repute

When I had dd, someone made a baked ziti for us. All I had to do was pop it in the oven and heat it up. They sent a salad and bread to go with it. That was my favorite!

I also think things that are just heat & eat like chili, soups/stews, pot pies, or casseroles are easy. Also meatloaves are easy heat and/or freeze *IF* they like meatloaf. I don't really think you can go wrong if you stick with things that are just heat & eat and things that they could maybe freeze if they want to save it for later.

Someone brought us a crock pot dinner around 4 in the afternoon that took about 6 hours to cook and she gave us all kinds of directions like put this in, then an hour later add this, then add this an hour later. I guess it's the thought that counts, but I would never give something like that to someone who just had a baby and doesn't have time to cook.

cheri is offline   Reply With Quote