Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #16
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

Funny you asked this, because I'm taking a meal to a friend tomorrow.

I'm doing baked garlic chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and brownies. I got really sick of casserole type meals when people were bringing them to us. And I'm picky about my marinara sauce, so I don't bring that to anyone.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #17
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute

Since I'm on the receiving end of meals this week I'll share what I have received:

meatloaf
stuffed pasta
ham and beans
white chili
beef stew
turkey tacos

All have been wonderful. Some were brought frozen and ready to pop in the oven on another night. I actually like it when someone brings something spicy because I enjoy spicy food and it feels warming and comforting while I'm recovering. I especially like when a green salad is part of the meal. Even better is when it comes in dishes I don't have to keep track of and return. When I take a meal to someone else I often take lasagna or quiche or red beans and rice.
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #18
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, I always try to bring a dessert. We rarely eat dessert here so it was a nice treat when someone brought it.

I agree about casseroles, it gets old.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #19
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons
I agree about casseroles, it gets old.
Casseroles are better than fast food. I got nearly 3 weeks of fast food meals last time I had a baby. I wanted to be grateful, but it really upset me.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #20
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

True, although I remember someone brought me a family dinner from Boston Market (she just asked which sides we wanted), and my family really appreciated it

Cari (caringmommy) makes honey mustard chicken for new moms, and her recipe is killer. I have used it on fake chicken, and it still tastes just as amazing.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #21
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

We got a bunch of take-out too. I thought it was funny that "I'll bring you a meal" meant "thank you for your order".
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:58 PM   #22
beatlemommy
Deactivated

beatlemommy is just really nicebeatlemommy is just really nicebeatlemommy is just really nicebeatlemommy is just really nice

My mother made my family meals almost every night for six weeks when I was on bedrest last year, and then brought me a bunch of meals for the freezer after I had the baby. Some of the *different* ones she brought were my favorites. She makes a very good simple sweet and sour pork. It wasn't fried by the way, and brought that with rice, carrots, and a dessert. She even tried an Indian dish, cause she knows I love Indian food. She brought hamburgers, and homemade mac and cheese one night. She went an hour away too another town to get us food from P.F. Changs Did I mention I have the best mother in the world. I would maybe just ask if there was something particular they were in the mood for, and maybe list a few options. It is nice of you to do for them
beatlemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #23
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Anything without dairy in it is a good idea.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #24
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

The doula in me says...at least one dish with a LOT of roughage. First PP BM, with hemorrhoids and all...

I usually do a chicken dish with a BIG nice salad.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #25
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

People actually take food to families w/new babies?? Where? Guess I wasn't lucky enough to have those people around........

Umm, for ideas, I'd agree w/the crockpot idea above..

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:17 AM   #26
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Oh! That makes me sad! In our church, if anyone has a baby, someone's going to be organizing a couple week's worth of meals brought to them.

Thank you for all these suggestions! Monday is my day to bring dinner. I'm taking to heart the suggestion to be sure to include salad and dessert. Am still dithering over the main dish. They all sound good!
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #27
DogwoodMama
Deactivated

DogwoodMama is on a distinguished road

Could we make this thread a sticky, please?

One thing I got that I appreciated was a bean dip & chips (fiber, one-hand dipping) and chicken salad to make sandwiches.
DogwoodMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #28
YolandaWELS
Rose Bush

YolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of lightYolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of lightYolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of lightYolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of lightYolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of lightYolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of light

SERIOUSLY

I didn't get a dinner or meal either - What a greatttttt thing to do. Wow. On that note - I am lucky enough to have a GREAT cook for a husband ... he always kept crackers and cheese and grapes near me to munch on

A dinner idea .. hmmmmm ....

I was so thirsty when I started nursing so I'd definitely include a punch ... Save some for my husband as he loves punch (Squirt, Hawaiian, Pineapple Juice, Sherbert...)

I craved carbs as well - So I'd make a lot of chicken alfredo and an awesome salad ...............

The mexican in me would say - Homemade tortillas and "pica dillo" ground beef w/ greenbeans and potatoes mixed in .....

I'm hungry now .... hmmm whats for lunch ....
Our Snugglebug - 5yrs old
Our Gumdrop - born October 8th, 2010
YolandaWELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #29
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

I know you're all dying to hear what I decided upon.

I'm going to make Rebecca's baked chicken thighs and potatoes
salad
green beans
brownies

So many of you mentioned bringing dessert, which I rarely think of doing in these situations because dessert is just off my radar screen, but I remember now after reading this thread, being younger and nursing a baby, how I could eat a meal AND dessert, no problem. (Ah, those were the days!)

The salad AND green beans is for the doula in Ashley (gentlebirth).

Thank you all for the help!
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #30
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

Usually chicken breasts in some kind of sauce and fresh bread is what I take.

No-one really did this kind of thing for me, so I try to do it for others and now a few here do.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote