Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #31
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fermentation support thread :D

i have a really big jar and i weigh pickles down by wedging in a tupperwear lid just the right size to fit into the jar, and then i put a little clay cup on top if it keeps rising anyways. i notice that larger jars are more likely to get a little moldy (which is ok, these are not bad molds, they can be skimmed off). smaller jars don't tend to do that, go figure.

i didn't think you were supposed to close the lids tight? I thought the ferments needed to "breathe" ?
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #32
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

I have a question (and I can start my own thread if this is not the right place to ask). I have strong reactions to any sugar and have been eating only low-medium carb fruits and veggies. How does fermenting change the way the body responds to the foods? I'm so intriged but I'm a little too afraid to try without more information.
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #33
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingWithElves View Post
i didn't think you were supposed to close the lids tight? I thought the ferments needed to "breathe" ?
I always close them tight. I know they still breathe some because they leak.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #34
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbiroads View Post
I have a question (and I can start my own thread if this is not the right place to ask). I have strong reactions to any sugar and have been eating only low-medium carb fruits and veggies. How does fermenting change the way the body responds to the foods? I'm so intriged but I'm a little too afraid to try without more information.
I don't have any scientific data but I've noticed I don't like or crave really sweet foods very much since I've been eating more fermented foods. I still eat chocolate very so often though.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #35
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

So these are total newbie questions, but do the veggies taste alcoholic? Or more vinegar-y like a pickle? Can you over-ferment something to the point where it's gone bad? How do I know the bacterial cultures are safe to eat raw and not going to give me some dreaded disease?

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #36
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofhazzard View Post
Lisa, you wouldn't happen to have a scoby available would you? Are they mailable?
Yes and yes. Pm me.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-EyedLady View Post
So these are total newbie questions, but do the veggies taste alcoholic? Or more vinegar-y like a pickle? Can you over-ferment something to the point where it's gone bad? How do I know the bacterial cultures are safe to eat raw and not going to give me some dreaded disease?
No, not alcoholic. Have you ever had Bubbies pickles? That's what they taste like. Briney and sour and satisfying an ancient craving you didn't even know you had ...

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

It might get bad after a few years. Maybe. . It just gets more sour with time. It's a far better preservation method than modern methods. Cheaper too.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (11-08-2012), Blue-EyedLady (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #37
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

abbi, watch these http://www.youtube.com/user/CorganicTV#p/p
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #38
abbiroads
Rose Garden

I am not an auditory learner (I follow movies/tv best with cc, fortunatly for dh they are available for LOST on Netflix ), is this info summerized somewhere? I watched the first one and it was about GAPS, is that what all 6 videos are about? I am concvinced GAPS works and I do think it would help me but I am not ready to make the commitment yet. I do want to know if I can eat fermented carrots without having a sugar-induced rage day the next day.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
curlymopmom
Deactivated

curlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond repute

Abbi - You'd benefit from drinking the juice. So maybe start there? Just a teaspoon a day and work your way up. That's what I would do.
curlymopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #40
abbiroads
Rose Garden

So the juice no longer has carbs, they have been converterted to alcohol?
Old 07-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #41
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I made some lactofermented applesauce and I *think* it said 3 days. I know it's hot here, but it's been 2 days. When I tasted it yesterday it was delicious. Today it tastes like alcohol. Given C's previous ability to convert ALL sugars even fruit to alcohol in the brain, I don't want him to eat that even if he would. If I let it go another day, will the alcohol be gone or is it a lost cause?

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #42
curlymopmom
Deactivated

curlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbiroads View Post
So the juice no longer has carbs, they have been converterted to alcohol?
Sorry... I don't really know. I have read that kefir is good for people with diabetes and blood sugar issues, because the sugar is consumed by the grains. I thought you were worried about the veggie, so I figured you could start slow with just the juice. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in!
curlymopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #43
wallflowermama
Rose Bouquet

wallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to all

INxJ Type 4/2 Wife to DH since 2003
Homeschooling Mama to Munchkin #1 (M) - Sept/05, and Munchkin #2 (A) - Nov/10

wallflowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #44
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
Yes and yes. Pm me.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

No, not alcoholic. Have you ever had Bubbies pickles? That's what they taste like. Briney and sour and satisfying an ancient craving you didn't even know you had ...

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

It might get bad after a few years. Maybe. . It just gets more sour with time. It's a far better preservation method than modern methods. Cheaper too.
I've never had Bubbies - I'm not sure I've ever seen the brand.

My carrots are floating this morning. This is good, yes?

Re: the alcohol - alcohol is a sugar. I remember that much from high school chemistry. My mom told me that alcohol turns to vinegar after a while (while that I was fermenting carrots and freaking out about it). So maybe let it go for a few more days?

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #45
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I have stuff in my blog about sprouting & fermenting.

Sprouting
Fermenting

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (07-10-2011), curlymopmom (07-10-2011), Soliloquy (07-10-2011), StumblinMama (07-10-2011)