Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default kombucha 101 thread!

Please tell me all there is to know about kombucha.
I know it is good for you. Someone local was offering free scobys (scobies??).

How to you use your kombucha? How do you "care" for it? Favorite recipies? Is it dairy/wheat free?

J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy

Last edited by backtobasicsmum; 05-25-2012 at 01:39 AM.
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kombucha 101 thread!

This is a great place to start.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kombucha.htm

It is fermented tea. High on probiotics. We drink it. Yes it should be wheat and dairy free.

1 gallon of black or green tea with 1.5 cups of sugar dissolved into it. 1-2 cups of Kt starter and a scoby... (or you can use a jar of raw KT from the hfs and it will grow you as scoby)

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming KT is kombucha tea? Do I need some of a previous batches tea AND a scoby?
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
Old 09-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

KT is Kombucha tea.

If you start with a bottle from the store you don't need a scoby. It will grow one and then you just use some of your Kt with the new scoby for your next batch.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 09-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I don't have a HFS locally, but someone is town is offering a scoby. Do I have to have some of the tea?
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

oh yes.. you will want to have some of their tea as a starter... 1 cup should be enough.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
wisdomjourney

Old 09-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

yes you need a scoby and some previous tea. the person giving you the scoby should be giving you that tea as well. If it doesn't come with a small amount of tea you can use apple cider vinegar in place of it.
but generally when i make mine i do 3 quarts filtered water (NOT tap, the chlorine and other stuff in tap water will kill the scoby) 4 black tea bags, and 1 cup sugar. if you search on GCM there are a few threads out there. you need to use a wide mouth container. some people put it in a bowl (oh and do not use PLASTIC, the kombucha scoby tries to clean whatever container it is in, so if you put it in plastic it will suck some of the plastic chemicals out, use only glass containers-no metal)

http://www.amazon.com/Jarden-Waterme...793934&sr=8-15

I use something similar to that only without the spout on the bottom. i can get the jars for only 3 bucks though.

then you boil the water and add in the tea bags (i usually put the tea bags in a large thermos and add 1 qt boiling water and let it sit covered with a towel for 20 minutes) then add the other 2 qts water to the glass jar, the tea and the sugar. stir till sugar is dissolved. then pour in the previous batch tea (about 1/2 cup i think ) and then carefully lay the kombucha scoby on top (the water should just be warm, if it is hot let it cool covered with a towel) then cover the jar with a white tea towel or old white t-shirt material. let it sit for 7 days, in a warmish place where it won't get bumped. then after 7 days take your scoby out and a small amount of tea and either repeat the process or store it in a pint jar-- if storing the scoby should be covered in tea and placed in the fridge till ready to use, but try not to let it be in there for more then 2 weeks.

well there's a lot of info

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (09-12-2011), blessedmamaofmany (05-09-2012), momyshaver (04-29-2012)
Old 09-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Thanks for all that.

Does it matter what kind of tea I use? Do you gals have any favorites?

And...what is it supposed to look/smell like when done?
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
Old 09-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

You will need to have some black tea...you can mix it with fruit teas but not Zingers....

We like Black Cherry.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The Following User Says Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I really, really prefer white teas....can I try those?
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
Old 09-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

Did you read Domm's site? I am not sure. I would think so but I seem to recall that it needs something that is in the black teas...

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

Coming back to this. I just started my first batch this week and I hit day 5 tomorrow. We are going to put it in quart jars and flavor them with frozen fruits (raspberry, blueberry and strawberry).

MIL gave me my scoby and tea to start.

Seems pretty easy. I was worried about making a lot of work for myself.

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

That sounds good, Zak, adding fruit! Let us know how it goes.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

i did it once with Strawberry.... LOL

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1