Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
inesperada
Rose Garden

Play nice, y'all.

inesperada has disabled reputation
Default S/O: Real Food Recipes

Define "real food" any way you like for the purposes of this thread. But I am in need of new inspiration, so......

Wife of mi medianaranja, the tender-hearted servant, whose still waters run deep
Abbott, intensely 10
Hooch, SIX!
Our God is the God of the unexpected. ~Bill Crowder
inesperada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inesperada For This Useful Post:
JosiAtara (06-06-2013), Victorious (04-20-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S/O: Real Food Recipes

A friend linked this recipe last night and it sounds good:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/white-chili-ii/detail.aspx?src=ShareOnFacebook&recipeID=15070

Serve with cornbread
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
inesperada (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Waterlogged
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

grace is for mamas too

Waterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond reputeWaterlogged has a reputation beyond repute

I am specifically looking in 30 minute meals (or less).
Waterlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
inesperada
Rose Garden

Play nice, y'all.

Speaking of chili, we made this Vegetarian Quinoa Chili recently and it was REALLY good. Even dh liked it.

Wife of mi medianaranja, the tender-hearted servant, whose still waters run deep
Abbott, intensely 10
Hooch, SIX!
The Following User Says Thank You to inesperada For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a crock pot?
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StumblinMama For This Useful Post:
MomtoJGJ (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

I've got lots of meals that I throw in the crock pot... You can make it with real food or semi real food, either way
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
inesperada
Rose Garden

Play nice, y'all.

Waterlogged, here are a couple of our super quick meals:

Soft Tacos (cook up ground turkey/hamburger or diced chicken with onion and bell pepper, season and put on a tortilla with salsa, guacamole, cheese, etc.)

Black Bean Cornbread Casserole (black beans mixed with 1.5 cups salsa and sautéed onion and bell pepper, topped with cornbread batter and cooked until the cornbread is done)

Turkey and Brown Rice chili (ground turkey sautéed with an onion and a bell pepper, add one can tomatoes, one can rotel tomatoes, one can corn, and one can chili beans. Cook rice seperately while you cook that part and stir it in cooked. Simmer 10ish minutes.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

I loooooooove my crockpot, so throw those recipes out too.

Abbott, intensely 10
Hooch, SIX!
The Following User Says Thank You to inesperada For This Useful Post:
MomtoJGJ (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be back later tonight to add some favorites!

Mama to my four dear children ages 22, 19, (forever 13) and 10
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cbmk4 For This Useful Post:
inesperada (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

vegetarian lasagna

brown eggplant and chop up zucchini, mix ricotta cheese and some other kind of shredded cheese (I will mix up my different types of cheeses) and half a cup of parm cheese

after the eggplant is done, saute chopped onions, mix with various italian spices (I use a dried italian mix) and whatever you normally use for spaghetti sauce.

Then layer in the crockpot in this order

sauce
noodles (the actual recipe that I've deviated so far away from it isn't even funny says to cook your noodles first, I do not, just add a little water in the pot)
eggplant
cheese
sauce
noodles
eggplant
cheese
noodles
sauce
zucchini
another half cup of parm cheese and a couple of ounces of whatever shredded cheese you used)

cook on low until cheese on top is melted and slightly brown.

It is super awesome! My whole family raves about it... You can make it as "real" as you want to... I use jarred spag sauce and regular las noodles because that's what works best for me. Oh, and the recipe says to slice the eggplant, but no one except dh really likes eggplant, so I dice it up instead.

it sounds like a lot or work, but I seriously put it together in 15 minutes the other night. I let it sit overnight in the fridge, added in some water the next morning, and turned it on.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
inesperada (02-28-2012), JosiAtara (06-06-2013)
Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

just came across this free kindle book

http://www.amazon.com/SMART-SCHOOL-T...pr_product_top
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (09-03-2013)
Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Lily
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Lily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond repute

Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Chicken Taco Soup:

(I'm skirting the 'real food' guideline with some of the ingredients, but you can substitute )
2-3 frozen chicken breasts
Chicken stock (about 2 cups)
Can of black beans
Can of whole kernel corn
Can of chili beans (these have sauce so you'll want to add some extra spices to make up
for that if you use home cooked beans)
Jar of Salsa
Taco Seasoning (you can make your own)

Cook on high for 5-6 hours in the crock pot. Top with crispy baked toritillas, sour cream, cheese, or any other yumminess.
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StumblinMama For This Useful Post:
inesperada (02-28-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #13
Mommainrwanda
Rose Trellis

New country - same username

Mommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond repute

We like Indian food. This blog post has given me the tools and confidence to make loads of Indian style/flavored food. It is easy. I generally have all of the necessary ingredients and I love the versatility of the spices.

We are currently branching out into the world of lentils. This week I made a batch of lentils (they were added as the "something else" to the basic curry recipe). There ended up being tons of leftovers. So the next night I added some dry oatmeal to the lentils to soak up the liquid, formed little patties and fried them until crispy. I served these lentil burgers on hot dog buns with lettuce, sesame oil and milk kefir.

This is basically my pea soup recipe. Super easy and very yummy. Serve with bread and everyone is happy.

West African Peanut Sauce - Does call for bouillon cubes, but I generally use chicken broth instead of water and punch up the salt if need be.

-Showing grace
-Undercommitting
-Believing in the restoration of all things

The Urchin is capriciously 3
The Chiton is
an introvert not an introvert, just T4 baby

Adventure blog: Delving for a Rhapsody
Mommainrwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mommainrwanda For This Useful Post:
cbmk4 (06-07-2013), inesperada (02-29-2012)
Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
JosiAtara
Rosebud

JosiAtara will become famous soon enoughJosiAtara will become famous soon enough

I ate a delicious meal where the "noodles" were zucchini and beets that had gone through what I guess was a spiralizer (I just looked up and saw that you can use a julienne peeler to get the same, albeit shorter, thin strands) and had cooked a hamburger spaghetti sauce (can't remember what they did for it so just come up with any yummy type of tomato sauce). They ate the "noodles" cold though some people would heat them just a little. Mm, all this healthy-food talk is making me excited to come up with dinner tonight!
JosiAtara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #15
reb
Rose Bush

reb is a glorious beacon of lightreb is a glorious beacon of lightreb is a glorious beacon of lightreb is a glorious beacon of lightreb is a glorious beacon of lightreb is a glorious beacon of light

i have a list here of "real food" recipes that i use on a regular basis: http://ahumbleplace.com/recipe-collection/

Rebecca
Wife to E (11/04)
Mama to B (08/10) & C (01/14)
...finding beauty in humble places...
reb is offline   Reply With Quote