Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:43 PM   #46
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: April Dinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy2boys View Post
Sounds delicious.....would you mind sharing the recipe? I'm always on the lookout for new things to cook!

Tonight is chicken stir fry with veggies and rice.

This is the recipe I based it on but I didn't have all of the ingredients and subbed a ton.

I didn't have red onion and subbed shallots.
I didn't have roma tomatoes and used one can of petite diced tomatoes.

I subbed gf spaghetti for regular.
I don't use wine so used a little bit of red wine vinegar and pasta water.
I didn't have fresh basil and used dried.
And since I was using leftover bacon, I didn't have any bacon fat and used all olive oil.

And I used a lot more cheese. 1/4 cup of cheese. C'mon.

So basically I didn't really make the recipe at all.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #47
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Dh is making burritos tonight.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post

And I used a lot more cheese. 1/4 cup of cheese. C'mon.

I find that a standard problem with cheese and recipes.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
charla (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #48
MamaMansa
Deactivated

MamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to all

For us, tonight is chicken fajitas in the slow cooker.
MamaMansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #49
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

baked chicken quarters. Roasted veggies (carrots, broccoli, asparagus, onion, brussel sprouts) and french fries in the air fryer.

Ground beef was on sale so I need to think of some good meal ideas from that for the next few days. i have my regular go tos but man I need to be more creative and expand our dinner horizons. So I'm planning to puruse all the meal threads for ideas.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #50
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Creamy corn and tomato shrimp companella (pasta- this shape is new to me)

Meal kit meal.

Hello Chef gave me a total refund for these meals that I accidentally signed up for so I'm not feeling as hostile about them

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
twoplustwo (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 05:10 PM   #51
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight is broccoli cheddar soup, dinner rolls and mixed green salad. I had to leave, so I left my 14yo son in charge of finishing the proofing of the rolls and baking them.
We will see how they came out. The recipe usually makes 20, but the pan I picked was too small and I was in a rush, so I only made 15, so they will be large.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-14-2021), twoplustwo (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #52
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Polenta tart with asiago spinach (well, it didn't really turn out like a tart), asparagus from the garden, and fruit salad.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #53
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Tonight is broccoli cheddar soup, dinner rolls and mixed green salad. I had to leave, so I left my 14yo son in charge of finishing the proofing of the rolls and baking them.
We will see how they came out. The recipe usually makes 20, but the pan I picked was too small and I was in a rush, so I only made 15, so they will be large.
Well, I just got home. They ate the ones around the outside of the pan, but the ones in the middle were doughy.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 04-14-2021, 05:56 PM   #54
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, I just got home. They ate the ones around the outside of the pan, but the ones in the middle were doughy.
It's a good learning experience! Bread is always a little tricky.

14yo ds made our dinner tonight. He did a great job!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
RealLifeMama (04-14-2021), twoplustwo (04-15-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #55
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yum!!!! Are you making the Baked Alaska? I know you are quite the baker/cook, right?
DH gave me a kitchen torch for Christmas and I have yet to use it. Is Baked Alaska as daunting as it seems?

Yep, I made it! The fam loves torching them. We use a plumbing torch from Home Depot. You can fill a shot glass with alcohol, put it in the top of the meringue after covering the cake and torch that for a volcano effect. Sprinkling cinnamon over the top gives you sparks.

You should try it! It's really not as hard as it sounds, just time-consuming. You can spread it out - bake the cake one day, form the ice cream the next, make the meringue last. If you are at all skeeved out by the possibility of raw eggs in the meringue, you can make a Swiss Meringue (cook the egg whites and sugar over a water bath to 140 degrees, then beat in a stand mixer). Most recipes I've seen call for Italian meringue (cooking the sugar syrup and adding that to beaten egg whites.) But I screw those up as often as not. It's fun to pick different flavor combinations (this year it was chocolate-cinnamon cake, coffee ice cream, and chocolate meringue) and different shapes for the finished cake (wide shallow bowl vs tall bowl vs log, for instance).

Dinner tonight, by contrast, was a little pedestrian - pan-fried lemon pork chops, roasted cabbage wedges, and glazed carrots. I felt compelled to make a cherry crisp after dinner, but the kids were already in bed and didn't get any.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
RealLifeMama (04-14-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 05:09 AM   #56
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Made this last night. Indian Ground Beef Coconut Curry. Did a few subs (used cauliflower instead of potato, used bone broth instead of water and used a whole jar instead of a tiny amount because my kids love lots of gravy). It was delicious. I'll definitely make it again.

https://myheartbeets.com/indian-grou...coconut-curry/
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (04-17-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #57
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

I grilled for the first time this season. We had greek chicken bowls. I splurged on some tzatziki sauce from the local Mediterranean restaurant instead of making it. It was so good.
We also had DHs belated birthday cake

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 04-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #58
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

It was a little cooler here today so I made soup....White Chicken Chili.
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:43 AM   #59
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight I am making stir fry.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:19 AM   #60
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

We had Middle Eastern/Mediterranean night last night: Oven roasted Chicken shawarma and Moroccan-spiced roasted cauliflower.

Tonight I think I'm cooking out of the Star Wars Cookbook my sister gave me for Christmas - Nerf Kebabs! I've been pleasantly surprised with this cookbook so far. A lot of the recipes are riffs on familiar dishes with innovative - and tasty - spice combinations and I've even been introduced to some new ingredients. (Blue Butterfly Pea Tea, anyone? Yeah, it's a real thing!) The recipe descriptions are fun stories that tie them into the Star Wars Universe, and it's finished off with fantastic artwork and photography.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote