Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to do with ground turkey

I was given several lbs of ground turkey. It is not anything I have ever bought or cooked with.

What do y'all do with it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (04-23-2021), SewingGreenMama (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 07:41 PM   #2
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do with ground turkey

I LOVE ground turkey in place of anything you'd use ground beef.
Spaghetti, soups, tacos. I love the flavor so much more then ground beef. Not everyone does, so you'll need to try it out and see.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-18-2021), Singingmom (04-21-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 08:58 PM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

This is my favorite ground turkey recipe. I don't make it anymore because I'm gluten free. I use ground turkey and flavor it like Italian sausage (stir in salt, thyme, fennel seed, crushed bay leaf, paprika and pepper as it browns).

Florentine Lasagna

I'm going to make this for the first time this week so can't vouch for it, but it looks yummy.

Sheet Pan BBQ Meatballs

I've used turkey successfully in place of ground chicken (that sometimes cant' find) in these recipes.

Kung Pao Chicken
Orange Chicken
General Tso's Chicken

I tried this recipe. You might like it. It was okay, but I'm not a huge fan of curry

Red Thai Curry Turkey Meatballs

You could try Egg Roll in a Bowl and season the turkey like the pork sausage the recipe usually calls for. I'm not sure what the spices would be for that, but you could probably google.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Last edited by charla; 04-19-2021 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-18-2021), Singingmom (04-21-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:15 AM   #4
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Ground turkey tends to be leaner than beef, so it dries out faster when cooked.
That said, you can sub it for ground beef pretty easily, just make sure you account for the leaner nature. (Read: Beware of overcooking!)

For instance, my kids like turkey sliders. I add a panade to keep them moist, which I don't do for beef sliders. If you can eat oats, soak in your milk of choice for a 10 minutes or so and then add to ground turkey. I've used flax meal successfully as well. (I never have GF bread on hand, so I don't know how to make it work in this case.) And mushrooms! if your crowd will eat them.

Asian Lettuce wraps (this recipe is a good jumping-off point)

Meatballs (If you make them tiny, they're great in soups like Italian Wedding. And again, I often add some grated/pureed veggies such as zucchini, carrots or even okra, plus the panade from the sliders.)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-19-2021), Singingmom (04-21-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Florentine Lasagna

I'm going to make this for the first time this week so can't vouch for it, but it looks yummy.

Sheet Pan BBQ Meatballs

You could try Egg Roll in a Bowl and season the turkey like the pork sausage the recipe usually calls for. I'm not sure what the spices would be for that, but you could probably google.
I made the sheet pan turkey bbq meatballs and really liked them, if it was the one from budgetbytes. I used oats instead of breadcrumbs, btw.

The egg roll in a bowl recipe I use had ground Turkey and I've never made it any other way.

Turkey black bean chili is also a favorite. A good portion of my family prefers it to beef. Same with sloppy Joe's. Real Simple has a good turkey Joe's recipe

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-19-2021), Singingmom (04-21-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #6
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
I made the sheet pan turkey bbq meatballs and really liked them, if it was the one from budgetbytes. I used oats instead of breadcrumbs, btw.

The egg roll in a bowl recipe I use had ground Turkey and I've never made it any other way.

Turkey black bean chili is also a favorite. A good portion of my family prefers it to beef. Same with sloppy Joe's. Real Simple has a good turkey Joe's recipe

I fixed the link. Yes, it is from budgetbytes. Glad you liked them. I can't wait to try it.

Would you believe though that this week I couldn't get ground turkey and could only get ground chicken?! It's weird how they have one thing and not the other. So I might have to make those meatballs with chicken. It was weeks and weeks and I could only buy ground turkey. Weird stuff.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Last edited by charla; 04-19-2021 at 02:59 PM.
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #7
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I hodgepodged some meatballs with mine this week. Y'all cross your fingers that my kids will eat them!
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 02:32 AM   #8
Reva
Rose Trellis

Reva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t eat ground beef anymore so I use turkey in place of GB. I can’t tell a difference as far as taste. I make turkey burgers, use it for tacos or spaghetti, etc.
Forever missing my sweet R (HLHS) and the baby we never got to meet.
Reva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reva For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-20-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 07:16 PM   #9
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

So many good ideas!

I will add that ground turkey seems very bland to me, so I make sure to season it with maybe twice as much salt and seasonings as I would ground beef.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-23-2021), SewingGreenMama (04-22-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I agree with more seasoning than ground beef. And keeping in mind that it's leaner. Which makes for a perfect fit for any of those ground beef dishes that make draining harder...

I'm making this tonight with ground beef: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/ham...ato-casserole/ First recipe I've seen with using raw hamburger so I liked the simplicity but am wary of the lack of draining.... Seems it would be perfect for something like ground turkey.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I buy grass fed ground beef so I don't ever have enough fat to drain. Early bird won't really eat fat.

Last night I made the orange chicken recipe that Was posted. It was ok. I think it would be better with diced chicken thigh. Early bird thought the texture was odd and didn't eat it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #12
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I use it for a lot of the above mentioned, but didn't see you could add sausage seasonings and make it into turkey sausage patties for a breakfast or a dinner meal.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-23-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 09:50 PM   #13
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Simplest: We've made it into patties using a packet of dry ranch seasoning for flavor.

Reasonably easy: White bean chili, using cans of whatever white beans are available, cans of diced green chilies, white pepper, and cumin. Can add carrots and corn for veggies, or even diced tomatoes if you want.

Favorite special recipe: Thanksgiving pot pie...brown turkey with diced onions and salt. Probably celery, too. Add diced granny smith apples and diced raw sweet potatoes and pour into a regular pie crust. Top with a second crust. Bake. Ends up crumbly because there's no sauce, but it was delicious. The sweet potatoes, apples, and onions added just enough sweetness to compliment the salted turkey, while not being too sweet because Granny Smith and no sugar.

If the turkey burgers are too dry, I've had kids add applesauce to top their patties the way some people eat pork chops. Some people mix it with other meats for fat, like ground pork.

You can also make taco meat out of it. Or use it with a box of hamburger helper. Or add to tomato sauce over spaghetti. Or make chicken soup with it.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.

Last edited by Quiteria; 04-25-2021 at 09:52 PM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-26-2021), RealLifeMama (04-26-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 08:44 AM   #14
MamaMansa
Deactivated

MamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to all

I’m late to this but the only things I’ve successfully made with ground turkey are taco chili and this meatloaf, which is yummy...and I’m not a meatloaf person.
MamaMansa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaMansa For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #15
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

We also threw it into this black-eyed pea recipe once. I bought a bag of frozen black-eyed peas from WalMart for about $1-$2 and had no idea what to do with them.

I made a few substitutions based on ingredients on hand, like a I did a splash of apple cider vinegar for acid since we didn't have any lemons, and garlic powder since we didn't have any fresh garlic. I used canned diced tomatoes, and either frozen carrots or raw baby carrots. It worked as a vegetarian meal, but was also a great place to use the turkey.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com...-recipe-greek/

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote