Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Dessert *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 08-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
tessiemae
Rose Bouquet

tessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud of
Default krispie treats without marshmallows?

Hi, Does anyone know how to make rice-krispie like treats without marshmallows? Thank you!
peace,
tessiemae
tessiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: krispie treats without marshmallows?

Old 08-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

One way is a peanut butter rice krispie treat called an O'Henry bar (I usually leave out the chocolate and butterscotch chips mostly because I don't keep them on hand) http://www.cooks.com/recipe/ax6kt9wf...enry-bars.html

My mom also used to make a chocolate one when I was a kid. It had corn syrup in it and had to be refrigerated to stay solid. That's all I remember about that one.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (08-17-2014), tessiemae (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

I make homemade granola bars using rice krispies and oats and chopped nuts and chocolate chips. I toast the oats and nuts and let them cool. To hold it all together, I heat up brown rice syrup and almond butter with a bit of vanilla and maple syrup and honey and cinnamon. Let that cool and mix in some chia seeds and then stir it all together. Spread on a cookie sheet that has parchment paper on it. Put parchment paper on top and flatten it and freeze it for about 15 to 20 min. Take it off the cookie sheet, but leave the bottom parchment paper there and put the whole thing on a large cutting board and cut with a pizza cutter. Store in fridge. It is fantastic. I imagine that you could use any combo of ingredients and get krispy treats using the brown rice syrup and almond butter or peanut butter to hold it together - or even use butter or coconut oil instead of the almond butter.
I took some to work today and shared with some co-workers who loved it.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
mommychem (08-17-2014), tessiemae (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Why no marshmallow?

As in it is an allergy reason a taste reason? Wondering if looking more for a "traditional rice crispy treat taste or some total different.

SOme rice crispy treat alternitives my family has liked

Date balls made with rice cereal chopped dates and coconuts..
Here is a recipe http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/de...spy-balls.html we dont use the pecans cause DH fusses

crispy treats made with peanut or nut butters we like almond better and honey to sweeten

you can also make then like Aussie or some New Zealand style (I forget which) it is basically the rice cereal with butter sugar and honey their called like rice bubble something.. Ive had them before and they are good but never actually made it myself.
tessiemae (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

If you google "make ride krispie treats with fluff" you get a lot of results, if you're wanting to avaoid the gelatin in marshmallows. I don't think fluff has gelatin...
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamajane For This Useful Post:
tessiemae (08-17-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

fluff has no gelatin but has egg whites.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
flowermama (08-18-2014), tessiemae (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
tessiemae
Rose Bouquet

tessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud oftessiemae has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
Why no marshmallow?

As in it is an allergy reason a taste reason? Wondering if looking more for a "traditional rice crispy treat taste or some total different.

SOme rice crispy treat alternitives my family has liked

Date balls made with rice cereal chopped dates and coconuts..
Here is a recipe http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/de...spy-balls.html we dont use the pecans cause DH fusses

crispy treats made with peanut or nut butters we like almond better and honey to sweeten

you can also make then like Aussie or some New Zealand style (I forget which) it is basically the rice cereal with butter sugar and honey their called like rice bubble something.. Ive had them before and they are good but never actually made it myself.
Marshmallows are yummy but the gelatin causes some digestive distress. I've tried vegan and kosher marshmallows, but they seem to be best in hot cocoa as they melt very differently than do the traditional ones.

peace,
tessiemae

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
I make homemade granola bars using rice krispies and oats and chopped nuts and chocolate chips. I toast the oats and nuts and let them cool. To hold it all together, I heat up brown rice syrup and almond butter with a bit of vanilla and maple syrup and honey and cinnamon. Let that cool and mix in some chia seeds and then stir it all together. Spread on a cookie sheet that has parchment paper on it. Put parchment paper on top and flatten it and freeze it for about 15 to 20 min. Take it off the cookie sheet, but leave the bottom parchment paper there and put the whole thing on a large cutting board and cut with a pizza cutter. Store in fridge. It is fantastic. I imagine that you could use any combo of ingredients and get krispy treats using the brown rice syrup and almond butter or peanut butter to hold it together - or even use butter or coconut oil instead of the almond butter.
I took some to work today and shared with some co-workers who loved it.
Thank you, believer. We're doing experimenting with almond butter and maple syrup and that raspberry Peace cereal today. I hope it'll stick into bars. Toasted nuts make such a difference, don't they!?
peace,
tessiemae
Old 08-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Understand. Like pp said marshmallow fluff is gelatin free.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

We use the marshmallow fluff with no issues. Gelatin-free here too.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
tessiemae (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a recipe we've used in the past, a long time ago. We used to have a vegan kids website, and we put this recipe on there.

Vegan Rice Krispies ™ Treats

1. Put 1 cup brown rice syrup in a large pan on the stove on medium heat and begin heating it.

2. Add 2/3 cup sugar and stir. Stir for awhile until it starts to get a little bubbly. If it starts to froth, turn down the temperature.

3. Add 1 tablespoon Earth Balance and stir it in, then add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and stir it in. Keep stirring until it’s all blended completely and bubbling.

4. Take the pan off the stove. Pour in a cup of Rice Krispies ™ and stir; then pour in another cup and stir. Keep it up until you have added about six cups of Rice Krispies ™ (or other brand) cereal.

5. When it’s all mixed well, pour out onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with oil. Spread it around with a spatula into an approximate rectangle shape about an inch thick. Let harden and cut into squares. You can put it in the freezer to cool it down quicker.

Oh, I just checked, and I first made those 7 years ago! Time sure flies by! Here is the original recipe that I got that from, but it called for corn syrup, and I used rice syrup instead, and a little less sugar. http://vegweb.com/recipes/classic-rice-crispy-treats

Apparently you can make them using a lot less sweetener, though. Here are a couple other recipes I found that just use rice syrup for the sweetener. One uses coconut oil for the oil. I think I'll try that next time.

http://detoxinista.com/2014/07/healt...-treats-vegan/
http://www.busybuthealthy.com/health...rispie-treats/

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
mamajane (08-18-2014), mommylove (08-19-2014), tessiemae (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

We love these, and they are made with honey and peanut butter

http://detoxinista.com/2014/07/peanu...rispie-treats/
tessiemae (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I use a vegan one with nut butter. It is so good. Totally has that marshmallow feel. Just use parchment paper in the pan or you might have issues

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

http://www.yourveganmom.com/your_veg...and-makes.html

This recipe is so good. If you are not afraid of it, corn syrup works just fine. Just seriously don't put them in the fridge.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShangriLewis For This Useful Post:
tessiemae (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
tessiemae
Rose Bouquet

Thank you all! I'm going to make some vegan ones today for my husband's softball game. I really appreciate the honey ones. I don't use sugar and can't use the fluff for me because of fibromyalgia. Those nutbutter ones seem like they'd make a great, fast breakfast!

peace,
tessiemae