Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Dessert *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decadent Birthing Brownies

The recipe was submitted to my church's cookbook (you know, one of those cookbooks where everyone submits a recipe and the book is bound?)
The author said that if a mom is overdue, and eats these brownies she will go into labor the next day.
I don't know if that is true...yet.

They are chewy and fudgy, not the slightest bit cakey. They crack on the top.

Here is the recipe: ( I have modified the instructions because I am writing them by memory.)

1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 2 ounce squares of bittersweet chocolate, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Cream sugar and butter together until fluffy. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Mix in melted chocolate and vanilla. Mix in flour, and then nuts.
spread in 9X9 inch pan (I'd probably like them thicker, so next time I will use an 8X8 inch pan)
Bake at 325 for 25 minutes.

I will let you know if I go into labor tomorrow!

ETA: They are very thin. I'd try doubling the recipe for normal thickness brownies.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 09-24-2009 at 05:16 AM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
daughter_of_faith (06-25-2012), flowermama (04-13-2010), hellomama (06-12-2012), Soliloquy (01-01-2016), StoryOfGrace (06-12-2012)
Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decadent Birthing Brownies

Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
righteous mama
Rose Garden

righteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond repute

mama to farmer girl (21) princess lionheart (16), and dandelion queen (11)

~infp~

Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
righteous mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
CakeLady

Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
joystrength
Rose Garden

Get it? Sock.Monkey. ????

joystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud of

Soooo, what happens if you eat them and you're not even pregnant???

His joy IS my strength! Live a life of HIS purpose

How long will it go on? If you keep living the way you are living, then you will keep living the way you are living. If you want your life to change, then CHANGE your life. Live differently, for repentance is a way of life. -- DH!

joystrength is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joystrength For This Useful Post:
hbmamma (06-12-2012)
Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joystrength
Soooo, what happens if you eat them and you're not even pregnant???
I don't know...my son was wondering the same thing. He was hesitant to eat one saying "But I don't want to have a baby!"

My DD, on the other hand, said "They look like plain ol' brownies. I think it is just a coincidence."

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (05-23-2014), CJNeeley (07-17-2012), Damselfly (01-22-2014), momzilla76 (01-22-2014)
Old 02-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute

oh nummy!!! I wanna try some!!!! And I am gonna too soon!!!
"Bubba" 3/09
"Princess" 9/11
read about *some content may be sensitive*
my life
My Poetry
I am not the princess in the tower, I have slayed my own dragons. I am the queen of my country leading the way.
If you want me you need to walk beside me not in front of me or behind me.
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
MamaCare
Rose Garden

Girlie hugging Cubby-in-utero

MamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond reputeMamaCare has a reputation beyond repute

I am *so* gonna bake some of these!!!
Mix, my creative fireball; 01/99
my sweetly delightful Girlie; 11/04
my laid-back Cubby-climber; 04/07
my tenacious and joyful I-boy; 07/08
my surprise blessing Baby-J; 04/09
missing my angel, Serenity 03/04;

http://mommypress.com/itllturnup/
MamaCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

your dd sounds just like mine... little logical first borns...

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! I had to look for your original thread! Lol! What if you're in the middle of being pg?
I think I'll go with your DD's "It's a coincidence."
So brownies for supper. . .
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne
Yay! I had to look for your original thread! Lol! What if you're in the middle of being pg?
It clearly stated "if a mom is overdue."

I did have the baby the next day.
Maybe we need to do a GCM clinical trial.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (05-23-2014), Ramee151 (01-22-2014), Soliloquy (01-15-2016), Stiina (07-23-2011), SweetMelissa (05-22-2014)
Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne
It clearly stated "if a mom is overdue."

I did have the baby the next day.
Maybe we need to do a GCM clinical trial.
you should! (btw, i made these the other night for dh... i didn't tell him what they were called, though. i'm thinking a double recipe might be good, they were pretty thin...)

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
Mashena

I want to make brownies for Bible Study tonight but I'm actually slightly nervous that these would send my friend who isn't do for three more weeks into early labor.

I'll find another recipe ;-) I'd feel really guilty if she went into labor tomorrow! (I don't have the chocolate for these anyway!)
Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #14
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole325
I want to make brownies for Bible Study tonight but I'm actually slightly nervous that these would send my friend who isn't do for three more weeks into early labor.

I'll find another recipe ;-) I'd feel really guilty if she went into labor tomorrow! (I don't have the chocolate for these anyway!)
I think you're pretty safe. Being overdue is the key for most miracle recipes...having inevitable time on their side and all. (Jen, tell dd she's in good company...says another logical firstborn. )
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #15
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole325

If you do make them, do double the recipe as Jen suggested.
They are very thin. I did not care, the chocolatey buttery richness combined with the excitement of impending labor was enough for me. But, if I make them again, I will double them for sure.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13