Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Dessert *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-06-2018, 02:41 AM   #1
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Healthy' cake recipe??

Dh is on a bit of a health kick at the moment and is trying to avoid food with added sugar (among other things). His birthday is coming up and I'd like to make some kind of cake or dessert which he would enjoy while still sticking to his diet. He's not a very adventurous eater and doesn't really enjoy things like dried fruit. In fact he's got a real sweet tooth and doesn't even like dark chocolate, so maybe this is an impossible task! But, if you have a recipe that may fit the bill, I'd be very grateful for it!
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:55 AM   #2
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Healthy' cake recipe??

You can use alternatives to sugar in recipes, but might have to look up the right measurements as they are not always the same as sugar. Xylitol is one option (its not artificial, its tree based).

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Vicki_T (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 05:48 AM   #3
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I bake these muffins regularly and they're a fave of my kids (if fact i have a batch in my oven right now!). Sweetened with banana. No added sugar except depending on what kind of or if you add the chocolate chips. We always do cause my kids love them (we do dark chocolate) but I think this recipe would be just as good without and with nuts or something instead.

Even if you added traditional chocolate, since it's the only sugar in the whole recipe it'd be pretty minimal.

https://www.bakerita.com/chocolate-p...anana-muffins/
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Vicki_T (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a recipe now, but I've made whole wheat carrot cake sweetened with apple juice concentrate.

I think the banana muffin/cake sounds better.

I've made chocolate banana bread before, which was cocoa powder as part of the dry ingredients. I added chocolate chips to make it decadent, but you could do with just the powder if that helps.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Vicki_T (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #5
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to just 'look' cake like, type in
fruit arranged to look like a cake on google and look through how they made decorations out of fresh fruits.

For whipped icing, you could whip coconut into a whipped topping. (Watermelon is expensive this time of year, you could do a sponge cake and decorate with fruit.) Use almond/coconut flour.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (01-06-2018), Vicki_T (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #6
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, these are great ideas Do the muffins taste like banana? I should have mentioned that dh doesn't particularly like banana bread/cake

Last edited by Vicki_T; 01-06-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

When I am rushed abd make banana muffins with bananas that are only juuuust turning yellow ot has far less of a banana taste.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Vicki_T (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #8
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

The really chocolately banana bread I made hid the taste somewhat, but that recipe had chocolate chips and sugar, so probably fewer bananas.

They're one of the sweetest fruits. Carrots and apples are probably next in line if he likes those better, and maybe white grape juice though I haven't seen it used much. Applesauce cake rarely tastes like apples, so maybe a spice cake with that if he doesn't like carrot cake? There are probably chocolate versions. I've made pumpkin chocolate cake where it was hard to identify the pumpkin, but that was with boxed cake mix, so full sugar.

I know there's chocolate avocado frosting, but I don't know how it's sweetened.

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #9
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_T View Post
Thanks, these are great ideas Do the muffins taste like banana? I should have mentioned that dh doesn't particularly like banana bread/cake
The banana works as the sweetener rather than as a flavourer. I do have one child who claims to not like banana bread who loves these. I'd say the flavour is more peanut butter and chocolate, though I'm sure you can taste the banana. It's just not at all the dominant flavour.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Vicki_T (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Great, those banana recipes might work then, especially if they end up tasting chocolatey. If not, the apple ones will be next in line. I might have to do a few trial runs - not so great for my waistline though
Old 01-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

What about using Date sugar? It’s just powdered dates I believe.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (01-06-2018), Vicki_T (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #12
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Try the samples as muffins/cupcakes if you have room in your freezer. Then you can thaw individual servings as a treat for the kids instead of having to eat up cake after cake all at once.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (01-06-2018), Vicki_T (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
Try the samples as muffins/cupcakes if you have room in your freezer. Then you can thaw individual servings as a treat for the kids instead of having to eat up cake after cake all at once.
Good plan
The Following User Says Thank You to Vicki_T For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #14
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Fat-F.../dp/0895296306
This cookbook is *great*. It subs fruit and other goodies for sugars and fats, and I've made almost everything in it and have yet to find a dud.
Quiteria (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Is honey an option?

I've baked lots of desserts using date sugar, honey, maple syrup, or fruit puree as the sweetener. They're delicious. Lots of blogs are dedicated to "no refined sugar."

Otherwise, a great dessert is fresh berries with cream.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (01-06-2018), Vicki_T (01-07-2018)