Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Substituting whole wheat in muffins?

So I have successfully substituted whole wheat (partial) in quick breads and pancakes.

I made 2 batches of muffins today for snacks.
The recipe I like you really fill the cups and mound the top before baking so you end up with those tall muffins with a nice muffin top.
I substituted a little whole wheat in my muffin recipe and the muffin top is really flat - is the due to the whole wheat?

And if yes can I do something in the future to use both some whole wheat flour and make my muffins nice and fat and rounded rather than a flat muffin top?

The coconut chocolate ones are done and we all tried them and very pleased with the flavor - so it's really just an aesthetic thing for me.
The vanilla blueberry are cooling so hopefully those taste just as good.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Substituting whole wheat in muffins?

Have you done this recipe before and know that the leavening makes the full rounded tops?

Whole wheat is 'heaver' I know some all whole wheat quick breads have more baking powder ( or mix of baking powder and baking soda) to creat more lift.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

With breads you often need to add more water if you're using whole wheat (it holds on to more liquid than AP flour does). I wonder if that would make a difference for your muffins' density and rise
twoplustwo (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Have you done this recipe before and know that the leavening makes the full rounded tops?

Whole wheat is 'heaver' I know some all whole wheat quick breads have more baking powder ( or mix of baking powder and baking soda) to creat more lift.

Yes, it makes giant rounded professional looking muffins normally when I have made them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper View Post
With breads you often need to add more water if you're using whole wheat (it holds on to more liquid than AP flour does). I wonder if that would make a difference for your muffins' density and rise

I could do more baking powder / soda. the recipe already calls for 4 tsp of one and 1/2 of the other for 12 muffins. Soda I think is the 4. So that may be why they are so rounded up before the whole wheat got involved.

I can also add more water if needed. they were really moist though.

Also we tried the blueberry/vanilla and there is nothing lacking in taste. I mean they taste slightly healthier but they still taste really good. But I was going more for snack than treat.

I also froze 6 of them to see if they freeze and defrost well.

eta: did I already mentioned I also reduced the sugar a little bit?
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Llee (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I might try ( and this is purely off of memory I haven't baked with wheat flour in almost 8 years) adjuating the ratio of baking soda to baking powder ( and proportionally you need more powder to soda for the same amount of lift) It could be that some of the air escaped because it developed faster than the whole what flour could hydrate and have enough connectivity to hold it in. Powder will provide lift slower and a tiny bit later in the baking.

twoplustwo (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
bec28
Rose Garden

bec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you share the recipes please?
staying at home and loving it! learning to be a more grace filled, gentle mama
bec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec28 View Post
Could you share the recipes please?
Yes, its so good. and its a base recipe that you can add different flavorings too. so I made 2 batches and just did different flavors. Im hoping they freeze well.

I put my recipe book back up but Ill get it and post when I come back.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
bec28 (04-15-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I know that one of my heavy recipes...blueberry...whipped the egg whites to add lift beyond the leavening. Don't think it was whole wheat, though, and it was an extra step...but it did help lift the blueberries, so might work if it feels worth the bother to you.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
I know that one of my heavy recipes...blueberry...whipped the egg whites to add lift beyond the leavening. Don't think it was whole wheat, though, and it was an extra step...but it did help lift the blueberries, so might work if it feels worth the bother to you.
The blueberries ones did seem a little flatter than the coconut/chocolate chips ones. And I did put in extra blueberries so I may have doulbe done it there.

As for the recipe . . . I tried to find it online but failed (hopefully to find the magazine) . . . but anyway, its from a magazine February/March 2006 - so before ds was even born!
I don't the name of the magazine was "cooking without recipes" or just the title of the section the muffins are in.

Anyway, Im up early and have it out so Ill type it out tomorrow am while my home is asleep.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)

Last edited by twoplustwo; 04-15-2020 at 05:15 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
bec28 (04-15-2020), Quiteria (04-14-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 05:05 AM   #10
twoplustwo

Ok, the recipe:

Page 1:
*room temperature ingredients are key* (<-- the whole first page is about these muffins, tips you should use and 6 great flavor pairings, you are only getting that one tip bc I dont want to type out the whole page, maybe if you ask Ill add the 6 great flavor pairings they suggest. )

PAGE 2:
pre-heat 350F
lightly oi, spray with cooking spray or line with paper cups 12 inch muffin pan

1 lb (3.5 cups) unbleached all purpose flour
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. table salt
1 1/3 granulated sugar
5 oz (10 T) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 C whole milk
1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream, at room temperature (t2t uses sour cream bc she doesn't know what creme whatever is)
2 large eggs, at room temp
1 large egg yol, at room temp

(t = teaspoon; T = tablespoon)

In large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt' mix well
In medium mixing bowl whisk together sugar, butter, milk, creme thing or sour cream, eggs, and egg yolk until well combined.
Pour wet into dry and fold until moistened (dry streaks ok, and batter will be lumpy)

Choose add-ins:
Flavorings (choose 1 or 2)
almond extract 1/2 t
ground cinnamon 3/4 t
coconut 3/4 c dried, sweetened
crystallized ginger 1/3 cup finely chopped
ground ginger 3/4 t
lemon zest 2 t, finely grated
orange zest 2 t, finely grated
vanilla extract 1 t.
fruit & chocolate (choose 1 or 2, 1.5 cups combined) - they have all kinds of add'l details that I am going to leave out (like thinly slice, coarsely chopped, fresh, etc for time sake, if you want to know a specific one, lmk): apricot, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, granny smith apples, peaches, pears, pineapple, raspberries, chocolate chips
nuts (optional) pecan, sliced almonds, toasted, walnut pieces

PAGE 3:
fill the tin - overfill tins by about a 3/4 inch mound. Bake until golden brown and spring back lightly about 30-35 min.
Make the glaze 12 1/2 oz (3 cups) confections sugar
one of the flavors:
plain - 6 T water
Maple - 1 C pure maple
Lemon - 6 T fresh lemon juice
Orange - 6 T fresh orange juice
Pineapple - 6 T pineapple juice
Cinnamon - 6 T water, 1.4 t gr. cinnamon
Ginger - 6 T water, 1.4 t ground ginger

should drip off spoon, add 1 T water at a time if needed.

When muffins cooled down but still warm coat with glaze - wait 20-30 to dry (won't dry completely).

I have to say FOR ME - it's way too much glaze. Yesterday I did the plain glaze 1 batch for 2 batches of muffins and still had some left over. The coconut / chocolate I barely drizzled and honestly would have been great plain. The blueberry did need the drizzle and I regular drizzled and they were perfect.

LMK if you have questions.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
bec28 (04-17-2020), MaybeGracie (04-15-2020), Quiteria (04-15-2020), ViolaMum (04-17-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #11
twoplustwo

UPDATE: All 24 muffins are eaten. 24 GIANT muffins as snacks. I know crazy.

So I made 24 more GIANT Muffins today. (Lemon Cranberry and cinnamon white chocolate chip <-- using up ingredients I have).

So I reduced the whole wheat to just 1.3 of a cup. Not sure if that is enough to make a health difference but they puffed up very nicely. Not sure if I will try and do more whole wheat and see where the line next time or stay here.

I did a little less sugar as usual.

But the big change is I used up all my sour cream on the last run, but had exactly 2 cups left of cottage cheese from the lasagnas I made last week so I substituted that (with 4 T of milk and some lemon juice - which I was already juicing) and there is not taste difference. And I like that the cottage cheese is healthier (per the online article who said how to substitute sour cream). I may alternate on that based on what other foods I am making.

Next week I will get pineapple and use more of the coconut I have on hand and another TBD flavor.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Quiteria (04-17-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #12
knitlove
Rose Garden

I would love to see a picture of your giant muffins

twoplustwo (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I would love to see a picture of your giant muffins

Oh yes, they turned out very pretty this time.

I sent the prettiest ones to a neighbor (the mom had a stroke, the dad is still there and adult dd - but by adult I mean 18 or 19. Just graduated HS last year). But I bet I still have some good looking ones left. Tomorrow.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
knitlove (04-16-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 05:36 AM   #14
twoplustwo

Next to cans for size perspective.

Cinnamon:

Lemon Cranberry:

Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (04-17-2020), Quiteria (04-19-2020), ViolaMum (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 06:27 AM   #15
knitlove
Rose Garden

How do you get them out oof the pan with the top intact?

If my muffins ever spill.over on to the flat of the muffin tin they are doomed to be broken and misshapen because I can't get them out.