Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #91
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vitamin D FAQ :)

the "acceptable" range with 30 at the bottom is only for some of more old-school western docs. not even my family practice likes my numbers. breastfeeding mom with a number of health conditions, i ought to have a much higher number. so, i went from 23 to 32. either that or the less-than-helpful office staff looked at the old result and reversed the numbers I'm making a follow-up anyway, it'll be good to chat with the doc.
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #92
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's not a great number, but the increase was better than nothign, I thought.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SamRose For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (06-30-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #93
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation

My Vitamin D was at 22. Dr prescribed 5000 units per day. What is the best way to take it? Do I take it all at once or spread it out? I'm still breastfeeding? Is that okay? Anything else I need to know?
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #94
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

re-read the OP, brastfeeding mothers requiring supplementation should take 10,000 a day. with a level of 22 (and you are shooting for a robust 60 or so to protect you and your nurseling from infections) you should for sure take 10,000 and re-test in 3 months or so.
i am not aware of a need to spread it out. oil-based drops seem to be most well-absorbed.
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #95
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation

Thanks Irene. I read the thread through about a week ago when the doctor said he thought this was the problem and due to my levels being so low, I forgot almost everything I read. I can't wait to not have foggy brain anymore! I did get oil based capsules and started taking them. I just had a sudden panic this morning...have I said I can't wait to be better? I'm scheduled for a retest in Nov.
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thia For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #96
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

, boy can i relate, i hate foggy brain!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #97
jblairosu
Rose Trellis

jblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant future

I just got my lab results back and my vit d was 23. I've been prescribed 50000units 3 times a week for 12 weeks and then go back in for a re-test. Does that sound right? DS2 is 18 months and still nursing...will that be okay for him? Do I need to worry about having him tested as well?

Doctor also wants me to do a bone density scan in a month. Have any of you had that done?

Also, my cholesterol was a bit high. The hdl and triglycerides were "normal" but the ldl was 121. Is that in any way related?

I'm so grateful and thankful that you ladies are so smart! I don't know what I'd do without you!

Mommy to ds1 (02/07) and ds2 (02/10)

jblairosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #98
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

Why does he want to do a bone density scan? Just because of the Vit D? Mine was lower than that and no one brought up any extra testing.

I did take the 50000IU perscription for a while, but the perscription is D2 so I switched to a oil based D3 supplement after 3 mo.
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #99
jblairosu
Rose Trellis

jblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant futurejblairosu has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbiroads View Post
Why does he want to do a bone density scan? Just because of the Vit D? Mine was lower than that and no one brought up any extra testing.
Yes, I think it's just because of the low Vit D.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #100
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

I'd ask more questions.
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #101
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

for me it would be a no on bone density, unless you are over 60, i'm assuming you are not.

if you are comfortable with d2 after reading through the thread, by all means, go ahead

*i* would get a much better quality d3 and dose myself starting at 10,000 per day, and re-test in a month. 10,000 is what every mother should get every day while pg and bf.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #102
jblairosu
Rose Trellis

What's the concern with the bone density test? I'm 30, definitely not over 60 ...although it feels like it some days!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #103
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblairosu View Post
What's the concern with the bone density test? I'm 30, definitely not over 60 ...although it feels like it some days!
first of all, why is he doing it? any time there is a test, i need to know a) why b) then what?

if you have a very rare condition that causes loss of bone mass at your age, you should know about it.

it is a radiation exposure, and an expense, if not to you, then to the insurance company.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #104
jblairosu
Rose Trellis

I have a call in to him so we'll see what he says...

Oh, and just in case anyone was curious, here is how the following professionals responded to my question "is it safe to breastfeed while taking the prescribed d2:"

pharmacist: well, I don't think there's any chance of harm to the baby...it's fine there's nothing it could do to him but check with your doctor

nurse at my son's pediatrician: I'm not sure but it says only moderately safe so you should pump and discard your milk and actually stop breastfeeding altogether because it's probably not safe

my son's pediatrician: it's fine just monitor baby for any changes

nurse at my doctor's office: I'm not sure, ask the pharmacist

my doctor: I'm still waiting to hear back from him

Really people!?!?!?! Is it this difficult to figure this out!?!?!?!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #105
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

geniuses

the levels of your milk's vit D are going to correspond to your blood's levels. but not exactly. with exception of alcohol, and a few other things, there is less of the substance in the milk, than in the blood.

women deficient in vit D make milk deficient in vit D.

unless you go toxic, your milk will have its levels of vit D restored to where they are supposed to be.

none of the professionals you are talking to have EVER been educated sufficiently in human lactation

Hale's may have some info, but i don't own one.

The Following User Says Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Rabbit (09-14-2011)