Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #91
somanyjoys

Default Re: Home-keeping Schedules

Fun thread! I'm new here, so I'm catching up slowly. I'm just ending my first trimester of pregnancy, so my routine has been off for a bit, but here goes:

Daily -- load of laundry, kitchen counters, load dishes into dishwasher as used, run and empty dishwasher as necessary
I start the laundry in the a.m. and move it to the dryer at some point. I fold it around 4:00, do a tidy-up, pick-up around the house, and start dinner.

Mondays -- bathrooms
Tuesdays -- dusting and living areas
Wednesdays -- floors (vacuum carpets, Swiffer hard floors, wet mop every other week)
Thursdays -- rotate bedrooms / office (so that I hit one every few weeks)
Fridays -- catch up or organization / project (closet, holiday decor, etc)

I love the system because my house is always presentable if someone drops by. I did really miss never having that "Ah, the whole house is spotless" feeling. Then, when I was at the height of tiredness and nausea, I hired a couple of ladies to clean the house one time for me. They did a fine job, but I still felt that I could have done it better and even having the whole house "spotless" that one day didn't last long. Made me rustle up the energy to get back into keeping up the house as best I can.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #92
tntmedic

Fun! I tried to figure out my "schedule", but realized I don't think I have one. LOL

That said, we generally always have a clean and tidy house because our daily routine and some general "house rules". AND... I would rather spend most of my time playing with baby than cleaning, so we try to keep things simple. Our routine usually goes something like this:

First thing in the morning, the dirty dipes go in the washing machine and are line drying by breakfast, followed by our daily laundry being done throughout our day. And the bed gets made as soon as we get up.
We keep a "clean as you go" rule in the house which means cleaning the kitchen after each meal (countertops, dishes) and putting toys away before pulling out new toys to play with. "Clean as you go" also means that laundry gets put away as it gets folded (um, MOST of the time!)

Depending on weather and other daily activities (like getting out to the park, library, play groups, etc) we either have breakfast and head out, or get one of our "big" cleaning things done, like cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, washing floors, whatever. Floors get done at least twice a week, bathrooms once a week, and dusting once a week. We try to keep on top of the little messes so we don't have BIG messes later (like wiping up spills in the fridge right away or using a "touch it once" policy when it comes to putting things away where they belong) but the BIG things that do come up, I usually try to squeeze in during my husband's "Daddy Time" when it needs to be done.

Clutter happens, but we have a few rules to manage it.
-The "one basket rule": Kids are only allowed to have all the toys that can fit in one basket per child. This rule is great for disuading well-meaning grandparents who bring gifts all the time, as well as reducing whining for new stuff. The older kids understand that if they want a new toy, they have to get rid of an old one to make room for the new one. Simply asking "Which toy will you be donating to Goodwill if we buy this one?" usually makes them think about whether or not they REALLY want the new item.
-The "End of the Day rule": means all the toys have to be in the baskets by the end of the day, and tucked away where they belong.
Grown-ups have to have thier clutter stored by the end of the day, too!
-The "Everything has a Place Rule": means everything has a specific place it goes. If we don't have a space for it, it doesn't come in!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #93
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are all so detailed & organized! Do you actually do all those things? Some of the things you do daily & weekly, I rarely do monthly

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #94
kakrmom

I HAVE to have a schedule for everything or NOTHING gets done! The kids and I do basic pickups all day as we're finished with stuff, My older ds and I make our beds and straighten our rooms right after breakfast in the morning and otherwise my days look like this:
Monday: Wash 2 loads of kids clothes & Clean Kitchen
Tuesday: Wash 2 loads of adult clothes & Clean Bathroom
Wednesday: Wash 2 loads of towels/sheets/blankets & Clean Family Room
Thursday: Wash 2 loads of adult clothes & Clean LR
Friday: Wash 2 loads of kids clothes, Vaccuum Bedrooms & Run Errands

I do my washing and deep cleaning in the afternoons while my kids are sleeping. All that said.....I by no means keep up with my schedule the way I would like to, but if I didn't have one I wouldn't end up doing much of anything besides wondering around overwhelmed wondering what in the world to do next!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #95
Anani
Climbing Rose

Anani is on a distinguished road

I was just thinking about this yesterday! I need a good schedule to STICK to.

I am gonna go back and read all the replies now.
Anani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #96
Joyful Mommy
Climbing Rose

Joyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really nice

I don't have a schedule per se, but do things when they need to get done, and that TENDS to be on the same day of each week, but not always. I am trying to crack down on it a little bit more, and have a routine that we can follow...
A [12.14.06]
N [10.24.08]
Shalom born to heaven [02.01.13]
Surprise baby due this August

Joyful Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #97
boobymummy

Ditto Jenn, only my table is covered in (more) laundry. The book shelf is in bubs room - the only tidy room in the house prob coz he doesn't sleep there. Correct that - its messy now because after 4 nights of no sleep we both slept on the floor in there last night, leaving dh to snore his brains out in peace in our room. Its hard to keep the house clean whilst carrying a 9kg 6month old. Also, its easy to put a load of washing on, harder to take that load out and hang it and later get it off the line AND fold it.

I try to get out of the house most days. It is very hot where I live (and humid) which makes it extra hard, carrying bub and doing housework with our sweat combined. Also... am I the only mum of a 6month old who doesn't get to sit down in peace for 'only 10 minutes' to fold laundry? I spose I could do it while he is sleeping, but Im usually sleeping myself then or in the car out of the house.

My only routine is my son usually awakens at around 6am and wont be boobied back to sleep anymore, so we get up for an hour or so. He goes in his play station while I get some musli (granola). Then I sit and 'talk' to him in his playstation for about 15mins. Then we take the compost out (I usually put the dinner scraps in the fridge overnight), showing Asher the plants and veggies growing haphazardly outside. Let him play with the wind chime and have a chew on it lol. Let him chew on the rainbow garden flag also. Have a shower together. Booby to sleep, and have a nap with him. If that doesn't work I put him in my home made carrier and try to do some laundry until he gets bored and complains. I try to let him touch and explore whatever he is interested in around the house, delaying what I want to 'get done'. Usually more mess gets made then cleaned, a carrier left here, a play mat left there, a chewed on seed packet cast to the floor while I wasn't looking. Etc.

Then hubby gets home around 8am and he usually half grumbles and half happily holds Asher while I rush off to throw some clothes on or straighten my hair or put deodorant on. 5mins break max. Then Steve wants to sleep. Im usually hot and bothered by this stage and my back is sore and I want to get out of the house.

We visit in laws, I take Asher swimming while steve films surfers down the beach (his other job) or I entertain asher under the umbrella down the beach for a few hours. We buy a smoothie. We go home. Its ridiculously hot inside, I wipe the benches and spray bleach in the shower whilst thinking how bad it is for the environment and my health but how I never manage to keep completely on top of the mould and I wish I could find the time or energy or desire to be truthful to prioritise scrubbing it down with some bi carb soda concoction.

Asher might be too awake to sleep so I carry him over to the shops.

At night I might make dinner or just have more cereal. Steve puts the dishes in the dishwasher (out of sight out of mind) and leaves it for a week until black with mould no matter how many times I ask him to actually DO the dishes. And then he puts the cycle on and can't be bothered getting them out so they end up getting washed about 3 times before coming out. EWWW. At least he keeps his clothes in his cupboard in order...

Hmm, not feeling very Christian right now. Complaining about my husband. I love being a mum and I prioritise time with my son over housework. But I feel pressure to do more of both.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #98
Bookworm13

I am inspired by those of you who have a daily schedule. I tried it once, but couldn't stick to it. I think I'm going to give it another shot. I always feel guilty cleaning instead of playing with the boys though. :/

--Stephanie
Old 03-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #99
raquel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm13
I am inspired by those of you who have a daily schedule. I tried it once, but couldn't stick to it. I think I'm going to give it another shot. I always feel guilty cleaning instead of playing with the boys though. :/

--Stephanie
I completely get this feeling too! I've tried scheduling times throughout the day where I'm specifically interacting/playing with Shelby and times when she's playing independently. She loves the attention but I think it's also her "job" to play and learn through play whereas it's not necessarily my job to play with her so much as facilitate it. That means I might set her up with some toys and play a bit so she knows how it works but then leave her to explore, play and do her thing as well. I also try not to schedule more than 1-2 hours of housework besides meal prep and laundry work per day. Most of the time my "extra" housework takes no more than 40 minutes following the Motivated Moms schedule (that's not including the Daily Chores which I fit in at set times of the day eg Morning, Afternoon and Evening Routines). Good luck trying a daily schedule again!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #100
OkiMom

I really need to get a home keeping schedule. I had one once upon a time before nursing took up 75% of my time. So, heres what Im thinking of.. who knows if its going to work

Cleaning:
Monday: Kitchen/laundry area, make list of anything that we are out of
Tuesday: Living/dining room
Wednesday: Playroom/Den/Master bedroom
Thursday: Bathroom and hallway
Friday: catch up with anything I missed, prep for the weekend, meal plan for the next week
Saturday and Sunday are off days so I can enjoy time with my husband and girls.

Laundry:
Monday: DD1's bed linens, Girls clothing, Diapers
Tuesday: Our bed linens (except extra blankets), DH and My clothes
Wednesday: One extra blanket, Whites, Diapers
Thursday: The other extra blanket, towels
Friday: Diapers and anything else that needs to be caught up on
Saturday: Diapers again (I don't like doing laundry on Sunday, its my day of no house work- well very little at least), DH's uniforms

Daily:
Dishes
Sweeping (it needs to be done more than once a day here, the floors are dust magnets)
Wipe down counters
Quick bathroom wipe down (I don't like a dirty bathroom)
Take out trash
Cooking/baking
Wipe down table
Put away toys, tidy playroom

I think that's everything.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #101
raquel

That looks like a really good and completely doable plan OkiMom! I like your laundry plan. I'm thinking I need to work out a laundry schedule too. Well, once the newborn comes and we start cloth diapering again it'll be essential--at the moment I can get away with just doing bits and pieces as I think of it but I remember being overwhelmed at times trying to do that when I added cloth diapers to the mix. Off to start a thread for more ideas on how others make it work.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #102
OkiMom

Thanks Raquel!
I do a lot of diaper laundry since we barely have enough for two days of normal use (so if shes peeing/pooping a lot its more like daily laundry). What Ive found out works really well for me is I gather up the diapers and throw them in the wash as I go to sleep at night. Then when I get up to work out I put them through another wash this time without detergent. When I'm done working out I throw the diapers in the dryer and then go about my business. By the time I shower, get dress and make breakfast the diapers are ready for the day.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #103
raquel

That's a very good system! I'll have to remember that. Part of the problem for me and diaper washing is the walking up and down the 30 steps of our unit block to the laundry for the three stages of diaper washing (rinse, wash, dryer). But splitting it up over night and first thing in the morning is a brilliant idea and DH is often up to exercise early so if I can get him in the habit of switching to the next stage as needed that would help me a lot too!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #104
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

Well this is interesting. Can't believe I didn't find this thread earlier!

I have tried the "pick up as needed" thing, and it never seems to work out. Somehow, for me, keeping a cleaning schedule FORCES me to do it, even when I don't feel like it, and that's a GOOD thing.

Mondays: Clean Kitchen. Includes dishes, counters, cabinets (INCLUDES cleaning out any 'junk drawer', making sure inside cabinets is straightened out and there are no avalanches, etc.), table, sweeping/hand-scrubbing the floor, cleaning off all kitchen appliances, cleaning out the fridge/cleaning off the fridge, sweeping the pantry. Dust chandelier and anything else that needs dusting. Clean sliding glass door and sweep outside patio (just off the kitchen) if it's stopped raining long enough to allow me to do so.

Tuesday: Living room and family room: pick up any stray items, dust ceiling fans, dust tv and everything on tv stand, sewing table, pictures, window sills......clean with cleaner all surfaces, tables, window sills and windows, large toys in the family room (such as kitchen, my computer desk, etc.), vaccuum, scrub foyer.

Wednesday: Laundry...generally a few loads, and clean out the van.

Thursday: Clean bathrooms (we have 3). Scrub counters, pedestal sink, toilets, floors, tubs/showers. Rotate towels, empty trash cans.

Friday: Tidy up bedrooms, and vaccuum upstairs (bedrooms, school-room...always clean now that we don't homeschool...and upstairs hallway).

Saturday: More laundry

Sunday: none

Our house is 2400+ sf, and two stories. 3 bdrm/2.5 bath, plus a family room and loft. (I didn't have this type of schedule when we lived in a teeny house).

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Titus2Momof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #105
Gentlemum

My week schedule is:

Monday: Laundry
Tuesday: Baking
Wednesday: Secretarial Day (I make phone calls, catch up on email, write letters, mail packages, etc.)
Thursday: Errands Day (we wash the car, go grocery shopping, hit the library and go to the farmer's market)
Friday: Cleaning Day (clean the bathrooms, sweep, vacuum and wash floors and change sheets on beds)

Then supposedly my daily tasks include:

Empty and reload the dishwasher
Do one load of laundry
Wipe down kitchen surfaces (counters, dishwasher, micro, stove and fridge)
Have cuddle time with kids (a half hour close contact, we sing, read together, write letters to grandparents, call aunties on the phone, do baby massage, or fun snuggly things)
Go outdoors
Prep dinner (during the boys nap)
Make dinner
Sweep under the dining room table (after eating)
Quick pick up the house (after kids are in bed)