Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for shopping hacks

We recently added a baby and kids from my previous marriage, going from 3 people to 9, virtually overnight. Needless to say, I'm slammed with the work of it. The non-stop dishes, sweeping, child disagreement mediation, diapers, breastfeeding, you all know the drill. But I've got to say, HANDS DOWN, the chore that is slamming me the hardest is food shopping. I go twice a week, both times a full to over-flowing cart. I don't mind, so much, the frequency, because I like to have fresh fruit in the house. But the fact that it's always an exhausting afternoon affair is so hard. I would love to use a shopping delivery service or maybe add dry goods to our Amazon subscribe and save, but I'm afraid their prices will be far too high. I would love to hear suggestions on how to make this easier. 80% of what I buy is the exact same thing week after week, surely this could be automated somehow?!
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #2
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for shopping hacks

I would just do Walmart or other grocery store pick up. So you're not walking around the store picking all your items. Even if you do it for all the easier items like butter and milk and then you run in and pick out your own produce and the shopping trip that could have been to 3 hours is now 30 minutes total

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

And definitely priced out bulk. It is expensive upfront but you do a little bit at a time this week you buy two weeks worth of rice and the next week you still by your wait is worth of rice even though you have an extra week at home and then when you have a little extra money again you buy two weeks worth of rice and then you always have two weeks worth of rice in the pantry so that you get sick, can't go to the store for a week, or the bank messes up and you don't get your whole check when week or whatever it happens to be you have that little bit of space.
And you do that a little at a time I would do it with beans and rice personally because we eat beans and rice and it's a really cheap meal so it is also cheaper to buy extra of. And just slowly go from there. But be careful to buy extra of what you will actually eat and use as a family and not just because it's cheap or on sale..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
Llee (09-01-2021), rjy9343 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

first- I'm happy to hear your children have been reunited with you! I use Imperfect Foods for food delivery. You fill your cart once a week. Lots of produce choices. They deliver. They recycle the cold bags and icepacks if you leave them out. In my area, there are gluten free and other specialty pantry items available. Some items can be more expensive than the grocery store, but it's really not bad. In addition to the convenience, I feel like I am reducing my plastic use a lot.
I don't have any grocery store delivery options where we are. My sister loves combining Ibotta coupons with walmart delivery. I like to use fred meyer and target grocery pickup. fred meyer also has great deals for shipping dry goods. I've gotten tons of rebates combining ibotta with online shopping.You can usually just duplicate previous orders pretty easily. I think Imperfect has an option to repeat orders.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (09-01-2021), Llee (09-01-2021), Maedchen (09-01-2021), SewingGreenMama (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #4
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Curbside pickup is a great thing for those with little energy to go through the store.

Here in my area you can have curbside pick up from WalMart, Dollar General, Big Lots (they have great deals on even some GF items in the pantry. I get Maple syrup in the 32 oz bottle for about $14 but sometimes when in the store I can find it for $10. They also have a huge bag of Himalayan Pink Salt for either $4 or $5.) Those are curbside, so you can shop at home.

Walmart will even ship to your home free if you spend so much money on an order or if it isn't available for curbside when you place your curbside order.

I have started looking at the weekly specials for WalGreens and have them deliver for free. (Coffee for $5 a can on our brand, so I have it shipped.)

Vitacost has the private label for Kroger and they are very reasonable (If you join their free email sales, they send you coupon codes for so much off a month. THey have even had the sale apply to the private label lately.) If you spend at least $49, you get free shipping to your door.

If you join the free emails of WalGreens, BigLots and Dollar General, they have digital coupons and sometimes send you coupon codes that can be applied to your order.

Check your Ethnic grocery stores in your area for cheaper prices. I have found that the local India Grocery store has great prices on my rice and rice flour. Their spices are great also. My Mediterranean grocery store sell fantastic meat at really good prices. I can get a gallon of olive oil for about $30 from them as well.

There is a place online that you can purchase in bulk. Bulkfoods.com and if you spend about $75, I think they charge $5 shipping. They have flours, grains, legumes, baking supplies even candy and some powdered health items.

There is a food delivery that you buy in bulk, but the name escapes me now. It is organic foods that you can go to a drop site and get in your area (possibly)

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

One other thing I just remembered which is a huge help to me because our Whole Foods is about a 40 trip because of traffic and very difficult for me to do energy wise.

If you are a member of Amazon Prime and have a Whole Foods 'near' you. You might have the option for delivery.......which is available and you add a tip. You go to Amazon Prime and then click on the Whole Foods portal. You can shop their weekly sales, and they even deliver frozen, sea food that is fresh and all over items in a normal grocery store.

I have used this way of shopping several times now and have been very pleased. My sea food arrived chilled and I just had them do delivery to the porch so no contact. They texted me when the shop started and when they were on their way and finally when it arrived on the porch.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Your children
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (09-04-2021), deena (09-03-2021), graciousmomma (09-01-2021), tempus vernum (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #6
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I would do Walmart pickup orders and use a smaller store in between for getting more produce. Sam's Club also does curbside if that is an option for you.

You can also order a lot of household goods and non-perishables on Walmart.com - they have two day shipping if you spend $35 but for me lately most of it shows up the next morning via their local delivery service. I think prices for a lot of things it works out better than Subscribe and Save, plus you are not bound by a monthly shipping date.
deena (09-04-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #7
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, wal-mart pickup.
I don't shop at wal-mart much, but their grocery pick up and ordering in by far the easiest and best. You can even pick acceptable substitutions for OOS items while you are ordering, which is so much better than not getting an item at all.
Sometimes, they sub something and give me the more expensive version for the price I ordered if it is OOS.
And, you can toss in the occasional random, non grocery item, like a laundry basket or school supplies.
The other thing I like is that when you search for an item, like "pancake mix" it puts the ones that you have ordered before at the top and they say "previously purchased." so ordering groceries is really quick.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
deena (09-03-2021), Llee (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so happy all your children are with you!

Walmart grocery pickup is fantastic. Other stores have it, too, but it's not as seamless.

I hate shopping, I'm so drained afterward. When I do prefer pickup, it's glorious.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
deena (09-03-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #9
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I like Aldi's for paring down the food shopping. Most foods have only one brand choice, and they've eliminated most artificial colors and preservatives, so there's very little decision-making or label reading.

When I go in person, I think about what I need by aisle while I'm driving there. I make ONE pass through the store, up and down the aisles in order, and if I forget anything, we can live without it until next week. I can get an overflowing cart there for less than a half-cart anywhere else.

To make it easier, some people type up a checklist of the most common items, again by aisle. So, like: apples, bananas, salad from the produce aisle; milk, cheese, eggs from the dairy wall, etc. That helps for being able to build a grocery list faster when most of it is the same as last time.

There are some free phone apps that will hold repeating grocery lists by department like that, but it takes a bit of work to get things added to begin with, so I haven't figured out which ones actually save time.

The online prices for Aldi pickup are still cheap, and WalMart's. Our local grocery store upcharges on each item, but I don't think Aldi and WalMart do. WalMart just has a minimum order of $35 in groceries to avoid a fee, and Aldi has a flat fee of $2/trip or $10/mo, but their prices are low enough that I'm saving more than that on any trip. ETA: The Aldi pickup orders have you pick substitutions for things that are running low, and they send automated texts while the shopper is getting your stuff, so you can reply if they make a substitution on the fly that you don't like.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.

Last edited by Quiteria; 09-01-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
deena (09-03-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 07:16 PM   #10
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Kroger also has free pickup on orders over a certain amount, like $35 or maybe $50 now. My frequently bought items are remembered so I can just check them off. They don't let you pick substitutions, you can not allow them but otherwise they will pick the better item or the closest sub.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
deena (09-03-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 04:02 AM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Delighted to read this and praying.

I don’t grocery shop (DH does) so I cannot help but was beyond moved to hear you have your babies back

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (09-04-2021), deena (09-03-2021), SewingGreenMama (09-03-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #12
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Would minimizing your list help? One large family I know of has really simple meals. An example would be a big pot of spaghetti sauce and noodles. That's it! I personally would have a hard time with just that and want to add at least baby carrots and sliced cucumbers but something can be said for simplicity. I find putting groceries away to be very tiring, so to have less to put away would be lovely.

Shelf stable staples is also a good idea. Think of what can be served over rice or noodles. If you have freezer space you can buy a bulk bag of ciabatta buns and have pizza buns or cheese buns.

I would tackle the issue thinking of fewer ingredients, less prep needed, and fewer dishes. Grocery shopping is only part of what is taking time and energy when it comes to feeding a large family.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
deena (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #13
Close2MyHeart
Rose Garden

Back for Friendships

Close2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

Excited for you!! Shopping is overwhelming sometimes for our family and TBH, we're not super organized with it. We buy meat from a family member and fill our freezers during butchering season. We have staples on hand all the time: pasta, rice, baking goods, etc. We always have back up in the basement. Once the items from the basement come upstairs, we put them on the list to buy next time we're in town. That way we don't run out. We do bulk shopping at Costco and get fresh fruits and veggies from the local market. We combine shopping with kid activities... so if one is at ballet, we run to the store to grab what we need while they're in class.

I've heard the To Go options are good, but I always worry they won't pick the freshest things.
DS1(21), DS2(20), BD1(20), DD1(19), BS1(17), DS3(16), BS2(14), DD2(14), BD2(10), BD3 (8)
(B = Bonus/Step)
Close2MyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Close2MyHeart For This Useful Post:
deena (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #14
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are so kind with all the love regarding the kiddos. I need to write a full update for you. As for the groceries, I'm working on a big Walmart pick-up order for dry goods and clearing out a space in the basement for them. I'm excited to see if this makes it more manageable for me.
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (09-04-2021), Close2MyHeart (09-04-2021), graciousmomma (09-04-2021), kiloyd (09-09-2021), Maedchen (09-03-2021), RiverRock (09-03-2021), tempus vernum (09-03-2021)
The Following User Says they are praying for deena:
ECingMama (09-04-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #15
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

I am so happy for you to have your kids!!!!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (09-04-2021)