Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-01-2022, 06:13 PM   #16
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meals: No Refrigeration / No Heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
does he having savings? can he buy a restaurant meal for the family?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
We have an electric teakettle that we take with us when we travel to heat water. DH uses it for coffee, but I've used it for meals sometimes.
We have one too. We use it camping.

And there are some yummy Asian meals that you just add hot water too right? More than cup of noodles?
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:28 PM   #17
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an instant pot, you could cook 1 meal in the motel and the snacking would not be so challenging during the day.

What about making veggie burgers and supply salsa for dipping?

Salad in the cooler and open a can of chicken or fish and divide over the salads.

Energy balls made from oatmeal and whatever you want to throw in them. They would travel well.

Individual cans of baked beans....can be eaten room temp when paired with a sandwich. You could open some coleslaw bags and easily make a side dish for the beans and sandwich.

Rice cakes can hold a meat, veggie, cheese or tahini

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Because of our allergies, I took a griddle with me last time we traveled. I made toast and eggs to make a breakfast sandwich and then a simple meal at night when we arrived at the room. This way we only had to snack during the time we were out.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:35 PM   #18
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

My kids had a whole case of Yakisoba noodles from Aldi that were cooked with hot water in the microwave...bigger serving and thicker than cups of noodles or ramen. I haven't seen them in a while, but I have seen cups of quinoa, couscous, overnight oats. Couscous usually doesn't need cooking beyond boiled water. Quinoa might need a microwave, but has more protein than most options. Some of them have flavors, beans, maybe even meat, but not sure. They're a little more pricey than getting a large box to prepare from scratch at home, but probably cheaper than takeout. And again, if you have refrigeration, there are frozen blends with more meat and veggies...I like to get a Southwestern one that has black beans and corn and maybe chicken (can't remember if it was vegetarian or chicken)...I usually mix that with a plain pouch of rice or quinoa or veggies to stretch further and reduce the sodium, but normal people might prefer eating them as is.

Did anyone mention that they make microwavable pouches of precooked ziti now, if you wanted to do Italian without a pot of spaghetti. Kinda sad without meatballs, but something different for flavor.

With a good enough coupon, takeout pizza might also be economical for one of the nights. Domino's is $6 for two-topping pizzas...they're not huge, but you can choose two meat toppings to get a hot meal with some protein.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #19
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Salad will be early on but eventually we will run out of cooler food.

We do have a griddle. but its big and not sure on that. Plus all that food will need to be stored. Im looking for super easy food that will store for a week before eating.

Ok, and a really hard NO to the cold baked beans. What is the matter with you people? I AM JUST TEASING both of you. BUT maybe we can see where ds gets his pickiness from . . . Because I am not picky and he is not picky OVERALL but apparently we are cold food high maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
Did anyone mention that they make microwavable pouches of precooked ziti now, if you wanted to do Italian without a pot of spaghetti.

With a good enough coupon, takeout pizza might also be economical for one of the nights. Domino's is $6 for two-topping pizzas...they're not huge, but you can choose two meat toppings to get a hot meal with some protein.
No, i dont know about these microwavable pouches. That might be good for hotel rooms AND good for plane travel. And packs up small and light. Ill have to look into those. I have not seen or used them.

Good point on the pizza. While 2 pizzas dont even begin to cover us 4 (ds will eat one medium dominos himself) . . We do dominos here occasionally so 1. have the points so overall slightly cheaper than the $6. I think we have 1 free pizzas now in there. . . .. Plus we could do just 2 additional pizzas and dh and I could eat some additional snack food, like a kind bar. So a medium pizza for ds and a medium for dd and dh can have 1 slice of ds and a bar and I can have 1 slice of dd and a bar. So the pizza is the whole meal for the kids and a supplement for the adults who wont complain. (dd wont complain but I dont want to leave her out bc of that).

Ok, I just looked. I have 40/60 points at Dominos. If we do pizza 1 time in March we will get 20 bonus points so will have plenty for free pizza while we travel. That will make ds *REALLY* happy. Pizza is his favorite food. He made pizza last night for dinner (I have buy extra ingredients for when we do homemade pizza for that purpose. we didnt have any meat left and he put salami on it. . . . nope, no idea where he gets his pickiness.

I did tell him 2 meals a day out of the car and he groaned and I said you need to come up with some ideas for you and he said not today (school, track, soccer) bc its too busy of day for him to think about it.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 03:22 PM   #20
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post

Ok, and a really hard NO to the cold baked beans. What is the matter with you people? I AM JUST TEASING both of you. BUT maybe we can see where ds gets his pickiness from . . . Because I am not picky and he is not picky OVERALL but apparently we are cold food high maintenance.

My whole family will also eat cold beans out of the can if they are baked beans.

I laugh and laugh at your commentary.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (03-03-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 03:31 PM   #21
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We do have a griddle. but its big and not sure on that. Plus all that food will need to be stored. Im looking for super easy food that will store for a week before eating.
Would you not have access to a grocery store along the way on your trip? That would make it easier so you don't have to pack as much. We have allergies and can't always find safe items, so we have to travel with all our food from home.....so I would understand.

Quote:
LOL, Lawd have mercy Girl, you obviously aren't from the south. LOL Cold baked beans are a staple of any bar b que or picnic. LOL

What about boiled eggs....... you could store them in a ziplock in the shell for ease of travel. Or shelled for easy meal in the car on the road.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
arelyn (03-08-2022), knitlove (03-02-2022), Llee (03-04-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 05:58 PM   #22
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

What would your ds eat cold from a can? These aren't my first choices for travel food, but any soups or stews? Vienna sausages? Flaked turkey/ham/chicken or canned luncheon meat?

What about a variety of flavoured tuna packs? Tuna snack packs with crackers?

What alternative to peanut butter could work?

Would he eat chili on a bun like a sloppy Joe?

Is there a meal that your ds would eat that you can just repeat over and over and over?

Can you buy shelf stable milk in tetra boxes in the US or could you use an alternative milk? If you can what about a big bowl of cereal?
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-03-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #23
amommy23
Rosebud

amommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really nice

I like the ease of pita pockets for a picnic. Fill with tuna or chicken salad. You can use those packs of tuna/chicken that have no juice to drain out and get the little mayo packs that are shelf stable. There are even little single serve cups of baby dill pickles. You could mix it up with a small jar of pesto instead of the mayo. Or a “rustic” hummus with canned chickpeas you mash with a fork and mix with tahini and lemon juice.

Or cereal with shelf stable milk (or even powdered milk mixed in a bottled water). Slice a banana in it for a little something extra.
amommy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amommy23 For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-03-2022), RiverRock (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #24
RiverRock

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

What about stopping at a grocery store for a rotisserie chicken? Add a loaf of French bread or buns, and maybe a pre-made salad. This could end up costing much less than a pizza dinner.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.

Last edited by RiverRock; 03-02-2022 at 08:06 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
arelyn (03-08-2022), Llee (03-04-2022), Quiteria (03-06-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 07:46 PM   #25
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

Costco usually has some pre-made foods in shelf-stable pouches. I really like the Madras Lentils. Sometimes they have other foods in shelf stable pouches. You'd want to microwave those, but the pouches themselves are not microwavable.

Costco also has that crunchy cauliflower, and sometimes broccoli. That's really good!

And I also agree on looking at freeze dried meals that you can buy for back packing, but those might be as expensive as eating out.

Also, Trader Joe's has some interesting shelf-stable foods, including freeze-dried fruits.

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:36 AM   #26
twoplustwo

Lots more info. He was pleased with the Dominos pizza idea and there seem to be several right off the highway along the way including the cities we are stopping in - so thats 1 meal that will make him happy. I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
Would you not have access to a grocery store along the way on your trip?
Probably but I was hoping to avoid. It will be a lot of early starts and late endings so hoping to not have to hit a grocery but we could make it happen. ts a total of 12 hours TO and FROM with 4 major stops/cities plus some little ones along the way. Its really a packed itinerary.

He might do ONE hard boiled egg but is not a big fan in general. I was thinking HB eggs for the beginning of the trip. First breakfast in the car so we can hit the road early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
Is there a meal that your ds would eat that you can just repeat over and over and over?

Can you buy shelf stable milk in tetra boxes in the US or could you use an alternative milk? If you can what about a big bowl of cereal?
No to all the questions until repeat and then . . PIZZA. But for the most part he doesnt like to eat the same things over and over. Not even things he really likes. Thats part of the problem both at home and travel.

Idk about the milk thing. . . but . . . he does like a few different cereals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amommy23 View Post
I like the ease of pita pockets for a picnic.

Or cereal with shelf stable milk (or even powdered milk mixed in a bottled water). Slice a banana in it for a little something extra.
He does like pita pockets and pesta. What if we didnt grocery shop but halfway got a thingy of milk and . . .

Quote:
What about stopping at a grocery store for a rotisserie chicken? Add a loaf of French bread or buns, and maybe a pre-made salad. This could end up costing much less than a pizza dinner.
HE LOVES those Rotisserie chickens. AND would eat if after its hot with BBQ sauce which is super shelf stable. So not a fully grocery stop but maybe 1 person (me) runs in for a chicken, bread, milk, apples and bananas. Like a super quick stop.

Last trip we flew and grocery shopped so it took forever but it was all 4 of us doing the entire week of food. If we had all the shelf stable stuff already and then just 1 person went in and got an update. WE already would have the cooler and it would be empty by the time we hit the grocery store . . .t hat might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBoo View Post
And I also agree on looking at freeze dried meals that you can buy for back packing, but those might be as expensive as eating out.

Also, Trader Joe's has some interesting shelf-stable foods, including freeze-dried fruits.
We dont costco, dont have a trader joes close and yes those freeze dried meals were expensive.

Im going to keep the milk / chicken / fruit grocery run in my back pocket. First I want ds to get back to my with HIS solution before I solve it for him.

Thanks all! Keep it coming. We love to travel and bc we love to travel always doing it on a budget so we can keep doing it. So even if I dont use the suggestions now they may be good later.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Old 03-03-2022, 03:51 PM   #27
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

We get Tasty Bite Madras Lentils from Costco, too. It's part of the snowstorm survival plan. We've gotten a couple of other varieties, Channa Dal is the only one I can think of offhand. I've seen Tasty Bite at regular grocery stores, so you should be able to find it locally. It's microwaveable or can be put in hot water. This article should have some options for you!

Cereal with (Parmalat) milk is the only other thing I can think to add. My kids are picky. They'll live on snack food, though.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 07:13 PM   #28
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

How does your son talk about trips between trips? Does he randomly mentioned how much he hates the food on your trips at any point other than when you bring it up for meal planning?

I like bringing gallon zip lock baggies filled with a frozen meal that can start thawing in cooler but will reheat in the crock pot. How many days are you in the same location? Never?

okay, oh, my goodness, you have to watch this video on double speed. With your son. A few inappropriate jokes, so I broke the link. But it's engineering!

https://youtu.be/S-XBheSfvjU

eggs and bacon and oatmeal in the hotel with the iron and a coffee maker

https://youtu.be/iODrN07xIXA
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016

Last edited by ECingMama; 03-03-2022 at 07:19 PM.
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (03-04-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 07:57 PM   #29
RiverRock

Quote:

HE LOVES those Rotisserie chickens. AND would eat if after its hot with BBQ sauce which is super shelf stable. So not a fully grocery stop but maybe 1 person (me) runs in for a chicken, bread, milk, apples and bananas. Like a super quick stop.

Last trip we flew and grocery shopped so it took forever but it was all 4 of us doing the entire week of food. If we had all the shelf stable stuff already and then just 1 person went in and got an update. WE already would have the cooler and it would be empty by the time we hit the grocery store . . .t hat might work.
Winner winner chicken dinner! I was up to the challenge to help you find a meal that would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
Cereal with (Parmalat) milk is the only other thing I can think to add.
Parmalat is the exact milk I was thinking of in my earlier post. I spent a year in Brazil when I was a teenager and this was the only kind of milk one of my host families used. I've never seen shelf stable cow's milk in Canada so I wondered if it was available in the US.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (03-04-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 08:42 PM   #30
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Winner winner chicken dinner! I was up to the challenge to help you find a meal that would work.

Parmalat is the exact milk I was thinking of in my earlier post. I spent a year in Brazil when I was a teenager and this was the only kind of milk one of my host families used. I've never seen shelf stable cow's milk in Canada so I wondered if it was available in the US.
It is the only brand I used to see until relatively recently. Well, until the proliferation of alternative milks, actually.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (03-03-2022)