Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #16
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: March Meals

Tonight I'm making a hashbrown sausage casserole in the crockpot with green beans and applesauce on the side.

Lunches are so hard! We do leftovers mostly, but also sandwiches (cold meat and cheese, hot meat and cheese, tuna melt, grilled cheese) and sometimes pasta or enchiladas or frozen pizza when I can find it gluten free and egg free. Sometimes I'll make soup for myself out of leftovers or what I have on hand. I love soup but no one else does.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:06 AM   #17
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

We had a kind of stew last night, with pearl barley and ham hock. It was really nice, but quite salty - I think I’ll use less stock next time, to take into account the saltiness of the ham.

I’m stuck for tonight - I have a grocery delivery arriving, but too late to start cooking afterwards - should have planned ahead better! So I’ll just need to put together whatever I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
What do y'all do for lunches, both for at home and for when you have to be out? I feel like I am getting stuck on lunches.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
This is me, too. Lunch is so hard.
We really like snack-y lunches (cheese, crackers, a fruit and some raw veggies, olives or pickles, then whatever else I can put out, like hummus or boiled or deviled eggs if I have made them.) There are so many good gluten free crackers now. But, we can't eat that every day or people will get tired of it.
I find lunches hard, too, and we definitely get stuck in a rut. We usually end up with bread or crackers, cheese, sometimes cold meat or eggs, and the some salad bits. In the colder weather we’ve been eating quite a lot of tinned soup, and the occasional beans on toast for the dc (I don’t like beans).
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vicki_T For This Useful Post:
knitlove (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 05:52 AM   #18
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
salmon.

lunches

Now that they're older (youngest is 13). they're either at school/work for lunch or they fend for themselves at home. I keep lots of easy make things on hand (mac and cheese, frozen chicken nuggets, taco shells and cheese for quesadillas, pasta and sauce, eggs, bread, etc.).
Salmon tonight with these spinach/feta cheese phyllo dough rolls. I made them before and were a big hit and have half a pack of the phyllo dough left. And rice. Ds doesnt eat salmon so IDK what Im going to do for ds... maybe have dh get some turkey sausage from the grocery today and Ill make that too.

I have to pick up ds from track at 530 and take him to soccer. He will carpool home so I plan prep dinner then. AND dd is gong 30 minutes away to do PV practice INSIDE somewhere getting ready for the meet this weekend and that goes until 7pm too - so itll be an unusually late dinner for us! Ill think Ill just eat earlier and have a small piece of salmon and save my spinach rolls for lunch tomorrow.

I do very loaded salads for lunch every other day for everyone with sandwiches or leftovers for dc and the other day they eat at school. The off days dh and I still eat salads I make. On weekends and such I usually like to do our big meal for lunch and then easy for dinner. Because I have more enegry earlier plus then I can do clean up and after dinner its less work.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16

Last edited by twoplustwo; 03-03-2022 at 06:02 AM.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #19
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Lunches -

I usually eat leftovers. The kids won't eat them, though.

The older kids usually prefer to fend for themselves. I keep pouches of Madras Lentils on hand, pasta, cheese sticks, fruit, rice cakes.

I try to have some sort of prepped salad ingredients in the fridge every week - a lettuce/veggie, a crunchy topping, dressing. For this week, it's Asian Slaw (mixed cabbages, carrots, scallions). There are sunflower seeds and a jar of dressing. Some weeks it's just romaine and the usual salad veggies. We all like the THM salad sprinkles (with sesame seeds and nutritional yeast, maybe flax meal) so I make that periodically and keep in the back of the fridge. I can easily make a salad to take with me if I have the prepped ingredients.

For dinner tonight, we're having Asian lettuce wraps.

Tomorrow night cod chowder in coconut broth.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:35 PM   #20
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

chicken tettrazini tonight per the request of my 15 year old
Old 03-03-2022, 05:46 PM   #21
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
chicken tettrazini tonight per the request of my 15 year old
Suddenly, it seems chicken tettrazini is everywhere on the internet, and I honestly never heard of it until two weeks ago!

We had cubed steak I made in the instant pot, egg noodles and creamed spinach.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #22
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Suddenly, it seems chicken tettrazini is everywhere on the internet, and I honestly never heard of it until two weeks ago!
It was cafeteria food where I grew up. I must admit, I shudder a little thinking that people are raving about it right now because I have no fond memories.

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
Old 03-03-2022, 07:18 PM   #23
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
It was cafeteria food where I grew up. I must admit, I shudder a little thinking that people are raving about it right now because I have no fond memories.

I usually make a Turkey Tetrazzini if I have enough turkey left over after all the other things I make with leftover turkey. I think that is pretty standard. The thought of chicken never crossed my mind.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 03-04-2022, 05:55 AM   #24
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

and honestly I never even really heard of it before my sister gave me the recipe. My kids LOVE it!
Old 03-04-2022, 08:13 AM   #25
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Im going to make what I said I was going to make last night but didnt make. (By the time I got home and got showered it was getting late and I was tired and on the plus side we finished off all the leftovers instead). Its not a run day and there is no soccer after track so I have more energy and time for a big to do meal.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
Old 03-06-2022, 05:19 PM   #26
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

Honey balsamic beef stew made in the instant pot. https://www.thereciperebel.com/insta...f-stew-recipe/
Old 03-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #27
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

Homemade pizza.

(Mine had gorgonzola, mushrooms, and cubed pepperoni.)

The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
charla (03-07-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 07:23 PM   #28
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

We had pasta with alfredo sauce and pan seared chicken tenders.
No veggie.
Tomorrow is hamburger vegetable soup and bread.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 03-06-2022, 08:34 PM   #29
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

3 of us had Brussel sprouts and salmon
2 had pasta with white sauce and meat
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:05 AM   #30
twoplustwo

Saturday was stir fry and then take out pizzas for dc and dh and I went out for date night. Sunday was burgers and I forgot to meal plan so have nothing planned or shopped for this week so no one is eating dinner here this week thank you very much.

Actually its a very busy week so I need easy stuff.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-08-2022)