Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #31
slingmamaof4
Rose Garden

slingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ideas for giving them a learning rich environment.. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoto
I've seen those bookshelves out in front of stores for free.
Really!?!?!!? O haven't even seen any of these bookcases in a long time except at the local library.

Custom Photo Cards. PM me for details!

slingmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #32
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingmamaof3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoto
I've seen those bookshelves out in front of stores for free.
Really!?!?!!? O haven't even seen any of these bookcases in a long time except at the local library.
Me neither.

I love the rain gutter idea, I may use that someday when I am ready.....

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #33
Mamatoto
Deactivated

Mamatoto is on a distinguished road

Yes, I didn't pick it up b/c it wouldn't fit in our car. :/
Mamatoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #34
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

this might sound kind of stupid, but what about just having the kids stack the books on the shelves? That's what we do. Mine are four and one, though, so there ability to put books in "properly" is limited. They have two shelves (and older dd has an additoinal one in her room) on the big bookshelf and the books are just stacked in their shelves so they can put them away themselves. We don't have space or money or anything else for special shelving and we have TONS of books! (I'm a book freak)
Old 05-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #35
slingmamaof4
Rose Garden

slingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsleesmommy
this might sound kind of stupid, but what about just having the kids stack the books on the shelves? That's what we do. Mine are four and one, though, so there ability to put books in "properly" is limited. They have two shelves (and older dd has an additoinal one in her room) on the big bookshelf and the books are just stacked in their shelves so they can put them away themselves. We don't have space or money or anything else for special shelving and we have TONS of books! (I'm a book freak)
That is what happens to the books when my kids put them away...they are stacks. But it still makes it harder to find a certain book and get books out that are toward the bottom of the stacks. We also have tons of books...some in the kids playroom, some in the livingroom, some in the kids bedroom.

Custom Photo Cards. PM me for details!

slingmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 AM   #36
Oliveshoots
Rose Garden

Oliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really nice

Another idea is using little tubs or plastic/cardboard/basket containers. We did this when I was teaching, and we would divide the books out by science, Bible, poetry, fiction, etc....whatever themes we wanted, and put them in tubs. I have sort of done this with dc's....we have one small basket that has 10 or so books about dinos/underwater creatures/animals/science. Another has many (not all) of their favorite board books or mini books. Another one has flashcards and card games. This is not something they can maintain on their own, but it does put a little more organization than just all of them lined up in the book case. I also have a basket next to my bed for bedtime story books, a basket in dd's room for "her" books, and probably will add a basket in the bathroom and in the living room for books there. We have books strewn all over our house all the time, so might as well have some "book receptacles" all over the house, too.
Kristen<br />Wife to David<br />Mom to ds (8-17-03) and dd (12-21-04)<br />Jesus is my bail-out. The Holy Spirit is my stimulus package. His blessings of family and friends are my recovery acts. &quot;Those who have been required to memorize the world as it is will never create the world as it might be.&quot; ~Judith Groch
Oliveshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #37
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

yup we've used individual shelves and clear plastic bins -- but I still want one of those shelves where it shows the cover someday if I can find a cheap way to do it

Old 05-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #38
Oliveshoots
Rose Garden

Oliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really niceOliveshoots is just really nice

I know what you mean, Janet. We have a couple of those in our church nursery and they are just awesome! I also love love love the gutter idea, but right now, we just don't have the space for it (plus we rent, and I really don't want dh to have to patch all those holes when we move.) BUT when we get a house and a playroom, I'm definitely doing the rain gutter shelves. It's just so kid-friendly and looks more organized, to me.

Are any of your dh's good carpenters? I wonder if you could find plans/instructions for the display shelf you're wanting?

Has anyone looked to see if Ikea has anythign similar? It would be way more affordable than the daycare furniture catalogs.
Kristen<br />Wife to David<br />Mom to ds (8-17-03) and dd (12-21-04)<br />Jesus is my bail-out. The Holy Spirit is my stimulus package. His blessings of family and friends are my recovery acts. &quot;Those who have been required to memorize the world as it is will never create the world as it might be.&quot; ~Judith Groch
Oliveshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:31 AM   #39
GrowingInGrace

For around $5, you can get a tub of buttons of different colors and shapes for older dc. It's a great sorting and counting manipulative. I am amazed at some of the cool buttons that are in there.

I also love "wonder bottles" for the smaller dc. Filling up water bottles with different materials - water, food coloring and sequins/glitter/baby oil; food coloring and corn syrup; rice and a bunch of small toys or items found around the house (paper clip, penny,buttons, etc). I have bottles filled with colorful buttons in one, and dried beans of different types in another. Super glue the lids to the bottles and then just leave them at child height. They are great and inexpensive.

Seashells are great too. I have some in the house for exploration, but I want to get some more and put in the sandbox outside for treasure hunting.

I hunt the remnant section of fabric stores for textured/patterned fabrics. I've gotten some really cool fabrics for really cheap - curly fur, soft fake fur, silky material, tulle, scratchy fabrics. If there's a Hancock fabrics going out of business near you, they have decorator fabric swatches (large ones) for 99 cents a piece. I bought some neat ones - a red herringbone, a light blue satiny one, a dark blue weaved cotton/poly blend, a chocolate brown striped textured one. And they have finished edges so they won't start unraveling.

Paint swatch cards are great for color identifying, sorting and sequencing from light hues to dark. I like the big ones from dutch boy since they are perforated and will separate easily. And the best part - they are FREE!

Old 05-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #40
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingInGrace
I also love "wonder bottles" for the smaller dc. Filling up water bottles with different materials - water, food coloring and sequins/glitter/baby oil; food coloring and corn syrup; rice and a bunch of small toys or items found around the house (paper clip, penny,buttons, etc). I have bottles filled with colorful buttons in one, and dried beans of different types in another. Super glue the lids to the bottles and then just leave them at child height. They are great and inexpensive.
Those were great ideas, I want to make some of these when Maya is old enough

Old 07-14-2007, 01:04 AM   #41
mon

Wow, I love this thread

Suscribing
Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #42
fairolivia

I'm so inspired! Subbing.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #43
lonibelle

loving this thread!
1) for an art gallery, it is hard to beat fine art calendars purchased in February for a $1! just take them apart and hang only the picture part.
2) we love books-on-cd in the car. we've done most of the Classical Kids and many by Jim Weiss and others.
3) if you sew, knit, crochet, whatever, teach your kids, all that stuff turns out to be great for brain development and helps with both reading and math skills
4) get fish, tadpoles, spiders, butterflies, ladybugs or other critters and keep in your house for a few weeks
5) magnifying glasses (good ones) and a decent small microscope (pond and puddle water will never be the same for you)
6) chores! best done together with lots of singing (especially ones involving lots of water!)
7) a good family song book (we love Song night! in addition to Game night, Movie night, and many family Read-aloud nights)
8) lots of time with nothing to do and nowhere to go, (this last one is the one that I think is THE hugest gift you can give your kid)
9) oh, and letting your kids see you pray and turn to the bible when in need
Old 10-04-2007, 11:01 PM   #44
tree_hugger

This is a great thread! Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:46 AM   #45
MrsLisaE

Involving the child in general life!

Early on we included our daughter. She was 3mo old on her first campout/fishing trip. By two she was casting. She caught more fish than her daddy last weekend! We taught her how to use machines in the home and how to cook. Her daddy taught her how to break down a computer and he's going to teach her how to rebuild one this month as a gift for her aunt. She's 8 now and just naturally interested in everything it seems. Library trips started as soon as she could walk and I was reading to her before she was born. She's an avid reader. Just the other day we packed home 40 library books to devour.

We were walking out of the BOA where we just moved..I was tired and just ready to get home but low and behold we stepped outside the door and were swarmed by lady bugs! She had a blast catching and studying them for at least fifteen minutes as we stood outside the BOA..

Also, just letting her explore anything she wants and not holding her back..Watching "Night at the Museum" led to a full study of the characters in the film..She couldn't wait to get to the library and start studying Historical characters! We just let her try and study what she wants and as much or as little as she wants...If she stops short of learning from frustration or boredom, we let it drop and she'll usually try it again at a later time..