Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Starfox
Deactivated

Ain't nobody got time for perfection!

Starfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond repute

It is a skill for sure. That is why it is sooooo important for there to be lots of resources for mamas. I would consider a cradle hold an advanced skill because it takes a lot of fine tuning, and there is a very narrow window of what is safe. Tummy to tummy is very basic and a way that is very easy to protect the airway.
Starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starfox For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (11-27-2012), JenLovie (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ring slings for newborns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysforme View Post
I would have loved to see that.

I think the general population does not understand that Babywearing is a skill. It is something that one must learn to do properly. I see countless people babywearing incorrectly, even in something simple like a Bjorn.

I am not a huge fan of the cradle hold for a newborn, in a ring sling. I never felt confident enough doing it, I always wanted to prop them up with my arm which then kind of defeated the whole point of the sling in the first place.
This is me too. I have learned baby wearing from you tube, and wish I had someone IRL to show me exactly how to do it. (Blondie )

With DS2 we did the tummy to tummy in the RS, and in the moby, but when I tried to do dishes or really anything it would feel like the baby was shifting, and it made me nervous. DS2 loved being worn, but I literally just wore him, nothing else because I was so scared his airway would get blocked, and I wouldn't notice.

With this baby, with the help of a certain babywearing queen, I'm hoping to get over the newbie fear.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TenderLovingWillow For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (11-27-2012), Starfox (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I could never even figure out the cradle hold in a ring sling, but I have done it in the pouch sling - with my oldest it was often the only thing that would soothe her as a very fussy newborn.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! I can help. I think it's important to keep them high and tight...especially since their weight shifts as they settle in. You need to be able to kiss their head the whole time you are wearing.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to blondie For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (11-27-2012), Aisling (11-27-2012), Calliope (11-27-2012), duckwithoneleg (11-27-2012), shaslove (11-27-2012), Starfox (11-27-2012), TenderLovingWillow (11-27-2012), TestifyToLove (11-27-2012), Two Little Birds (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
Two Little Birds
Deactivated

"Knitting is Mama's job"

Location: Where the wind blows, the snow flies and mere mortals can't breathe
Two Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie View Post
Yay! I can help. I think it's important to keep them high and tight...especially since their weight shifts as they settle in. You need to be able to kiss their head the whole time you are wearing.
High and tight. That's what surprises every mom when I show them how to use it. I need a baby to sling! Not really, but I need one to borrow.
Two Little Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Two Little Birds For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (11-27-2012), Aisling (11-27-2012), MercyInDisguise (11-28-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #21
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

I wear mine so high, I can literally hear their breath and feel it on my neck. I never, ever, ever, ever cradle hold a newborn. I did in my early baby wearing days, and my instincts screamed at me every time I did. My last two were only chest to chest, heart to heart, so close I could hear them.

If I cradled, it was nursing (as in, actively felt my nipple working ), supported by the other arm while shopping/cooking. Nooooo chin tucking. Those little airways are thinner than drinking straws, and it takes very little to close them off. So their spines need to make a straight line from the top of the head to their little bottoms.

Last edited by Aisling; 11-27-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (11-27-2012), MercyInDisguise (11-28-2012), momyshaver (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I know it's time to switch to the Ergo when I constantly find them at my belly area They've gotten too heavy to sling them the way I like to.... I hate doing hip carries with the ring sling.

Not that hip carries are hard or not ok... I just had to do a hip carry with Jayden for nearly two years of her life all day long every single day. I got tired of it, and cannot do nearly as much while doing a hip carry. ok... bit of a tangent, haha.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
Starfox
Deactivated

Ain't nobody got time for perfection!

Starfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond reputeStarfox has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting a babywearing demo doll.
Starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Starfox For This Useful Post:
Aisling (11-27-2012), duckwithoneleg (11-27-2012), JenLovie (11-27-2012), Llee (11-27-2012), MercyInDisguise (11-28-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #24
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

Does anyone have a website link that has comprehensive babywearing safely information?
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momyshaver For This Useful Post:
shaslove (11-27-2012), TenderLovingWillow (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #25
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

The Babywearing Guide portion of this site looks good!
http://www.becomingmamas.com/
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
momyshaver (11-27-2012), newday (11-27-2012), shaslove (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thebabywearer.com/article...ositioning.pdf
I give this article to people--it's newborn positioning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
momyshaver (11-27-2012), newday (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #27
FaithnPraise
Rose Garden

AKA Dr. Duh!

FaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by momyshaver View Post
Does anyone have a website link that has comprehensive babywearing safely information?
Yes ma'am!

Babywearing Safety: Are Baby Slings Safe? - Babywearing International
Wife to Mac 6/03 ~ Mama to Faith 4/09 & Praise 7/11
*Team Pee-Free Paws*

Assume positive intent - I'm INTJ Cheeky - yes! Snarky - no!

FaithnPraise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FaithnPraise For This Useful Post:
Aisling (11-27-2012), newday (11-27-2012), Starfox (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

i often had my littlest babies i a ring sling, but is was just an extra support. i still always had an arm or hand supporting them as well. if my hand went off of them it was just for a moment, and then it was back to holding them with the sling as a helper.
i did do hands free sometimes () with my babes in the rebozo. they would lay on top of my chest and i could kiss their faces by barely bending my head. that stage didn't last long though. usually only the first month or so.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfox View Post
I'm getting a babywearing demo doll.
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

Here is how I nursed in the Ring Sling. Her head/face isn't under any fabric -My arm supported her head/neck while she was nursing. I don't do hands free at this age, it was more to keep her in a comfy position for nursing and give my other arm a break.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blondie For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (11-27-2012), Aisling (11-27-2012), duckwithoneleg (11-27-2012), newday (11-27-2012), Starfox (11-27-2012), StewardofLOs (11-27-2012), TenderLovingWillow (11-27-2012)