Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #16
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiders? Be prepared w/this poultice remedy!

I'm so glad this was bumped!! I have both on hand but won't have thought to use them on a spider bite.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
celestial princess
Rose Garden

...sometimes I can't see it for the trees

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

Seconding the sticky - we have brs here and I've been anxious about it since we moved here
celestial princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #18
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

I talked to my friend yesterday.
On Sunday night she showed me the bite. The area was large, yellow and red, and very itchy. It was already sloughing skin, and she had hot flashes off and on.

On Monday, she said the red/yellow area hadn't spread any more. As long as the poultice was on the skin, there wasn't any itching. The hot flashes had stopped, too. I'll call her tomorrow to see how she's doing.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
PurpleButterfly (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

will this work on rattle snake bites (on the way to the hospital, of course)
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #20
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spiders? Be prepared w/this poultice remedy!

Wow! Okay I have a question though. Having studied up on the ab/adsorption action of therapeutic grade calcium bentonite clay, I am wondering if it's a bit counter-productive to mix it with colloidal silver? Because the clay aggressively absorbs heavy metals. So I would think that the cs would be less effective if mixed with bentonite, and the bentonite would be less effective if mixed with cs.

Of course this question is probably irrelevant since you've already established that the treatment works, but I'm just wondering

The other option was a poltice of black walnut shell powder? How long do you leave the poultice on? Your skin would be very brown after you washed it off

Edit: Oh wait, it's not the shells but the green outer hulls (which contain the black-staining juice) that have medicinal properties. Apparently so do the leaves and bark, but to a lesser degree.

How would you know if you saw a brown recluse? I have looked them up online before but they just look like every other nondescript brownish spider to me.

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars

Last edited by Taedareth; 06-15-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #21
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

so glad i read this. saw my first br today IN MY HOUSE and i'm still freaked out. i have some bentonite clay, praying i wont need it but now i know it can help in the mean time till we get to the dr.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #22
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

So glad this is helping others. Identifying the spider after a bite is not usually common since they tend to flee quickly or in many cases you don't feel the bite until at least minutes or longer after it actually happens. When I identified the baby brown recluse it was only because I was right there at the time it was fleeing when I went to check on my napping son, and I had a heightened awareness of spiders at that time since our sandbox had been infested with black widow spiders.

The way I treat any bites in our home today is this:

1. Apply "After Bite" tube remedy (W'mart, drugstores, etc.) - not the ammonia version but the tea tree, aloe and baking soda version. Yes I can make it myself but the After Bite is cheap and super convenient. I keep tubes at home and in both vehicles. Works amazingly well on mosquito bites which my ds is allergic to but no ER trips if we get the After Bite on immediately after.

So no matter what kind of bite, I apply After Bite as soon as we are aware of the bite. This is the one in the purple packaging - don't bother w/the ammonia one as it stings, stinks and isn't very effective IME.

http://www.amazon.com/After-Bite-Rel.../dp/B001O8NLAI

2. If any reaction continues I do the poultice. Reaction symptoms would be skin that is hot to the touch, feels hard/swollen/taut or abnormal in any way, person feels nauseous or feverish. If it's a brown recluse bite the rings will begin to appear and the area will grow pretty quickly until you get the poultice on.

3. I also give the bite victim oral echinacea, big dose of Vitamin C, zinc (excellent for tissue health and regeneration) and astragalus if there is no fever.

To help keep spider bites at bay, we have taken all bedskirts off our beds and made sure blankets/sheets do not come close to touching the floor - these are all ways that spiders more easily climb onto beds. I also regularly spray a very strong concentration of peppermint and lavender essential oils under and around beds, headboards, shoe storage areas, closets, dressers, furniture, you name it.

Orange and lemon are also good spider deterrent essential oils but I love the uplifting and light scent of the lavender and peppermint in the house so it's easy to remember to spritz every couple of days or so. I found the least expensive way to get good quality and larger quantity is through Vitacost. I have used their NSI brands of these EO's for years and loooove them!

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-100-Pure-Lavender-Oil

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-100-Pure...boughttogether

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer

Last edited by PurpleButterfly; 06-15-2011 at 11:26 PM.
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PurpleButterfly For This Useful Post:
celestial princess (06-17-2011), Damselfly (06-16-2011), ECingMama (06-16-2011), SilverMoon (06-16-2011), Taedareth (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 04:17 AM   #23
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Kym,thankyou! We have been having some amazing results using the clay for healing.Didnt think to use with the silver together.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote