Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #196
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diatomacious Earth ( DE ) thread :)

Great info here on the various benefits of DE, how it works, and how much to feed your pets and farm animals: http://www.holisticlivestock.com/de_faq.htm

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-07-2013), me (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #197
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
I don't know if one is safer than the other. The brand here that is used for human consumption is Perma-Guard.

BTW last summer I did 3 consecutive months of taking 2 TBSP of DE daily. Just me, not the rest of the family (so if anyone else has parasites, I suppose I've been re-infected by now ). But my teeth-clenching at night went away while I was doing that, and returned after I stopped.

My holistic dentist measured the electricity level generated by the metal fillings in my teeth, and it was very high (this causes the jaw muscles to twitch and clench while you sleep). So somehow, taking DE before bed interrupts this "battery" effect in my mouth. THe clenching returned after I went off DE. I want to start up again but we moved recently and my kitchen stuff is still in storage

Also this fall-winter my immune system has been far stronger than in previous years. I think it's a combination of the things I did over the summer - more sunshine exposure (got a good tan!), taking DE, taking some therapeutic-grade calcium bentonite clay, and basing our meals around in-season vegetables plus meat, and lots of fresh fruit. Basically a great whole-foods diet. THe previous two years we were sick ALL THE TIME. This year, nothing but two minor head colds
oh wow, sarah i didnt realize you have metal fillings?! You should keep a glass bottle of hydrated clay by your toothpaste and swish everynight with some, spit it out. It should be able to grab some leaching before it goes into your body. And clay baths wouldnt hurt. Not to mention adding smoothies with cilantro or parsely, perhaps a metal detox is in order?
eta: ok not a detox but just as support

Last edited by me; 01-20-2011 at 08:51 AM.
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-07-2013), tempus vernum (01-16-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #198
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

Oh whoops, sorry for the incomplete health picture

I read somewhere that you don't want to start with the parsley/cilantro or other heavy metal detoxes until you have eliminated the source of the metal leaching (dental fillings).

Checked with my holistic dentist and it'll be $1k to get my fillings replaced. Plus the cost of any naturopath visits and prescription supplements to help safely flush the mercury buildup from my body. We can't afford it yet

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Old 01-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #199
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Does anybody know whether the Perma-Guard brand sells ONLY the food-grade kind? Or do they also sell other grades of DE that are unsafe for human consumption?

Our local feed store sells a 50 lb bag of Perma-Guard DE for $26. The label says it's intended for livestock; I just wondered if it's the same as the "Pure Fossil Shell Flour" that they sell for human consumption?

Edit: This is the same product I got at our local feed store http://www.earthworkshealth.com/detail.php?id=4 Except that I paid a grand total of $30, versus $66.50 if I bought online and had it shipped to me

Last edited by Taedareth; 01-16-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #200
righteous mama
Rose Garden

righteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to read through the entire thread, but I'm too impatient. I have questions...

1. Both times I've taken my DE, afterwards my mouth feels like after you eat poprocks. Is that normal? I'm assuming I have a lot of yeast, so could it be eating the yeast in my mouth/throat?

2. I was told not to take it at night, but I would like to take one TBL in the morning and one at night. Would that be ok? The lady that sold me the DE said it'll cause me to have a lot of energy if taken at night.

3. Can I mix it in kefir for my girls? Would that work? My middle chicky needs to take this stuff 'cause she bites her nails...fingers and toes. I can't wait to see what will come out of her!

4. I was told to take it two months on, one month off. What would you recommend? She also told me not to eat any breads/gluten, dairy, or sugar. I'm fine with no sugar, but it seems ridiculous to me to not eat ANY gluten or dairy if you have no issues with them. We've been eating a lot of lunches consisting of organic corn tortillas, cheese, green sauce, and a side of apples. It's cheap and we love it. I would hate to give that up for more expensive chicken and salad. I can do that for dinner...but we try to keep breakfast and lunch healthy but CHEAP.

Personally I think she said that 'cause she's trying to get me to lose weight on her terms. I've been trying to lose weight for 10 years now and have tried it all. I don't appreciate her off handed advice, tbh.

My thought is to take this stuff and eat as many raw fruits/veggies as possible throughout the day. I did notice that when I went to drink a soda today it tasted awful! So, that's good!!!!

Oh, and can you give recommendations on amounts for...
M - 11 yo
B - almost 7 yo...I'm most concerned about her
H - 18 months
mama to farmer girl (21) princess lionheart (16), and dandelion queen (11)

~infp~

Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
righteous mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #201
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Marcella, I agree that most of the advice you've received is unnecessary and kind of silly

I don't know why you would get a "popping" feeling in your mouth after taking DE. Maybe it has some strange additive? I recommend PermaGuard brand Fossil Shell Flour (TM) which is a very pure and safe food-grade DE.

I once read that same recommendation about not taking DE before bed because it "might cause you to feel energetic." But I can't imagine any legitimate reason for that to happen. DE contains no calories and no caffeine I take 2 Tbsp in a cup of water immediately before bed and have never felt energetic as a result.

Kefir smoothies are great for hiding the chalky mouthfeel of DE.

Your two older kids could take 2 Tbsp DE per day. The younger one would be good with 1 Tbsp.

There are no contraindications about taking DE with food. There is absolutely no reason to avoid dairy, gluten/bread or sugar unless you wanted to for unrelated reasons.

Drink your dirt and have fun!

Edit: Oh! I missed one of your questions. There's no benefit to alternating months of taking/not taking DE. Actually it's a good idea to take 3 consecutive months of 2 Tbsp DE daily (for everyone in the family, but a smaller dose for toddlers). The reason is because intestinal parasites go through life cycles and you want to make sure you keep taking DE long enough to kill off all of them (including the ones that were in egg form when you first started DE). I did this and it kept me in good health, but I never saw evidence of parasites. That's okay, the vast majority of parasites are microscopic anyway. But our family is planning to take DE on a daily basis forever just so we don't have to worry about any parasitic infection getting a foothold. (Sorry if that sounds paranoid - there are lots of other benefits to taking DE, but just knowing how easy it is for children to transfer pinworm infections from one child to another, well, I just get a little paranoid sometimes LOL)

Last edited by Taedareth; 01-18-2011 at 07:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
righteous mama (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #202
righteous mama
Rose Garden

righteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know why you would get a "popping" feeling in your mouth after taking DE. Maybe it has some strange additive? I recommend PermaGuard brand Fossil Shell Flour (TM) which is a very pure and safe food-grade DE.
It's not really popping...it's more like a sort of scrapey feel. It's like AFTER the poprocks. Which is weird for me to say 'cause the last time I had poprocks was like 30 years ago. It goes away when I drink more water.

Right now I'm using what the lady at the store sold me (for $2/lb). She sells her own line of skin care and was diagnosing my horribly itchy eyelids. She said this stuff will help. She gave me some to get started on. After this, I'll have to figure out how to order some. Money-wise, that is.

~infp~

Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #203
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Oh yes, it does have a chalky (or fine scratchy) feel. Some folks don't notice it but I do. It's normal

Next time call a local feed store and buy a 50 lb sack for $30. Then it's cheap enough to use for other household purposes, like dusting your cat (kills fleas and ticks), feeding to pets (to kill intestinal parasites), and spreading in your garden (kills unwanted bugs).

Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #204
righteous mama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Oh yes, it does have a chalky (or fine scratchy) feel. Some folks don't notice it but I do. It's normal

Next time call a local feed store and buy a 50 lb sack for $30. Then it's cheap enough to use for other household purposes, like dusting your cat (kills fleas and ticks), feeding to pets (to kill intestinal parasites), and spreading in your garden (kills unwanted bugs).
That could be it. I'm very sensitive to texture. Hopefully I'll get used to it and it won't be such a bother.

I gave it to the girls in some kefir. Tonight I just did 1 tsp per kid and I'll do another tsp in the morning. I'm just getting them used to the idea right now. My middle one is the hardest customer. I had to convince her it doesn't taste. I gave her a straw, kefir with the stuff in it, and she slurped it down and asked for more! Nerd!

~infp~

Old 01-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #205
LorenP

I just had my first dose. I don't think I will be drinking it again. I may mix it in yoghurt because the big mouthful of grainy stuff at the end was hard to get down. Only 89 doses to go!!

Does anyone know if passing it would affect a septic sewerage system??? We have a biocycle system that uses worms and bacteria to purify our sewerage. I would hate for it to kill off all those good bugs/worms.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #206
Taedareth
Rose Garden

When mixed into water, there should *not* be a lump of clay at the bottom of the cup. Stir briskly with a spoon so that all the particulate matter is suspended in the water.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #207
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

You can do a homeopathic metal detox without removing metals. I was discussing a remedy I have had a long time for C with the homeopath and he's just now physically ready to do it. She was telling me she liked this particular one because it includes stainless steel and is helpful for people who have say rods in their leg or similar. I only have one teeny tiny filling that isn't composite, but I know she has given me a heavy metal remedy before when that filling broke.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-07-2013), me (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #208
me
Rose Garden

i just listened to a webinar on clay from Perry and she said it was ok to swish with clay water, especially if you have metal fillings.

So you dont eat parsley or cilantro? I was thinking more on the line of just getting it into your diet to help your body.

Are you sure they werent thinking of other methods? I have also heard that but not with clay or eating foods that support your body.

Eta: just saw there are a ton of other posts between mine and the last post by Sarah, oops, hate when that happens, time to catch up

Last edited by me; 01-19-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #209
Taedareth
Rose Garden

me - let's take this to PM's

The Following User Says Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
me (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #210
me
Rose Garden

I just wanted to add that the scratchy feeling can also happen on the other end when things start getting cleaned out, rotfl....please dont ask. But it does go away
Eat whatever you want and take it whenever you want! BUT!!! PLEASE, start at a 1/4tsp and work your way up if you arent in perfect health and have NO signs of parasites. If not, then PLEASE work your way up. I have heard so many people say it didnt work or it hurt them, if you start slowly and work your way up this wont happen. You start small, take about 3 days, add more, wait, add more, wait. That way if you start bloating or getting constipated you can adjust your diet and keep things going forward. You want to always have the stuff in your system. THis way you dont have to stop taking it, you just stay at the smaller amount till your body self corrects. If you want to make big changes, remember it took big changes to get where you are and we should be patient in bringing the body back to where it use to be. And not everyones body is the same, so when you go up i increments you can watch your body and see what amount is right for you at that moment in your life. Sometimes I take more sometimes i take less. Same with my kids. Also, when you work in increments, you can see symptoms go away and know at what amount you needed. So if you felt great at 1TB, then worked up to two and the night grinding went away, then once the night grinding goes away you can back down to 1Tb and see if it works for you at 1 tb. THen lets say, you pick up a bug and dont know it yet, you start grinding, you know to up your amount to 2tb.
Begin with the end in mind

I dont know about the bio system, worms and bacteria. On one hand, it is something natural that they would come into contact anyway, on the other hand, it kills worms so why not those too. Perhaps clay would be a better alternative if you find out that de isnt gonna work. And if clay isnt going to work i would rethink the system, rotfl...cause clay kills things that shouldnt be in our body and clay is actually what dirt should have in its prime. If they are truly beneficial in nature they wont be affected.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-07-2013), Llee (05-04-2013), Taedareth (01-19-2011)