Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Beverages *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-17-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
Persinette
Rose Blossom

Persinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud of
Default Favorite chai recipes?

I drink a LOT of chai (not the kind of concentrate, but black tea, cooked with milk--for me soy milk--ginger, spices, etc), and I'm always looking for new ideas/ recipes to try. I would love to hear some favorites.
Persinette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Persinette For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (04-18-2011), runningmama (04-17-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
runningmama
Rose Bouquet

runningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite chai recipes?

I haven't made any homemade yet, would love some recipes and tips too.
(11-07)

As an INFP please be assured that this post was probably deleted and rewritten 50 times before posting.

http://countitalljoy.blogspot.com/
runningmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

I make the "chai" without the tea by heating milk, putting a splash of vanilla and a bit of honey in it, along with some cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom. I don't measure but jyst do small pinches of each spice until it tastes right.

Mama to my four dear children ages 22, 19, (forever 13) and 10
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Patrysha
Rose Trellis

Patrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond repute

When I'm making a "real" chai and not just water, tea, milk & sugar boiled up just so...

I boil cardamon pods (squished just a smidge so they open), ginger root, & a cinnamon stick in and boil that before adding the tea bag and then boil up the sugar and milk the same way as a the casual cup...

That's just the way I've been making it since I was 8...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Patrysha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrysha For This Useful Post:
Aisling (04-17-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

I'll freely admit to boiling just cardamom pods and honey in milk and drinking it that way, but that's not really chai. I'd love to make my own.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

I make my own concentrate and refrigerate it for quick chai lattes.

I put 3 c. water, 2/3 c. sucanat, 2 t. vanilla in a mason jar the microwave til the sugar was dissolved. I added about 2 T. of raw honey to the hot water and then steeped four Tazo organic chai tea bags. Voila, just like the boxed stuff. Use it just like the concentrate and mix 1/2 c. milk & 1/2 c. tea (or however much you want, I guess).

Actually, now I think I need to go make some.
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niphredil For This Useful Post:
BearyBlessed (04-18-2011), mollobe (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Persinette
Rose Blossom

Persinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud of

I LOVE the idea of making my own concentrate--my favorite cafe actually does this, can't believe I've never thought of it before.
Persinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
BearyBlessed
Rose Garden

BearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great idea, Lindsay! Thank you.

Wife to my best friend since December 2000
Mama to my boys
Aji ~ My long awaited blessing ~ May 2007
Living with T1D since May 2012

YoYo ~ My HBAC miracle ~ November 2009

BearyBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

Once I was given a little jar of whole chai spices assembled as a DIY gift item. They were so pretty. Star anise is one I remember seeing in there. But I have no idea the amounts and everything that was in there so it could be duplicated.

FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

mollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond repute

Niph - how long do you steep the tea bags fo the concentrate? And what's sucanat?
Ian
: 9/07
Claire: 2/10
Owen: 4/13
mollobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
JJsMom
Rose Garden

JJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond repute

I want to try making some! I just use Good Earth decaf chai and coconut milk creamer.
Gave birth to my J-bird 10 yrs ago (ds)
Homebirthed my LuLu 7 yrs ago (dd)
Homebirthed my Punkin' seed (and Great Grandma's namesake) 4 years ago. (dd)
And had our newest arrival, JellyBean 2 years ago. (dd)

I still miss my Great Grandma every single day. I'm not ready to take her picture out of my avi. She feels closer this way.
JJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollobe View Post
Niph - how long do you steep the tea bags fo the concentrate? And what's sucanat?
Sucanat

I steep the tea however long it takes me to clean up the mess the children inevitably made while I was mixing the ingredients. I'm a very exact person, don't ya see...
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Niphredil For This Useful Post:
mollobe (04-19-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #13
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote