Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #1
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teaching a child to swallow a pill?

I'm not sure quite how to go about this. I have a teen who can't swallow pills. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching a child to swallow a pill?

My oldest started with a single grain of rice in a spoon full of broth. After she could do that we tried things like ticktacks.

I also teach it where you fill your mouth with water. Push the pill ( or tick tack) in to the mouth tio the head back and shake until the pill is in the back of the mouth and then swallow the water.
This is still how I take pills. The only issue is with herb pills or things that float where you have to point your nose down so the pill floats up to the back of your throat

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-04-2021), ViolaMum (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

You can try and put pills in applesauce. I have had a few kiddos who have needed that.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I second the tictacs. Ds was a teen before he could swallow pills too. We used tic tacs. I used to have a trick for meds that taste bad too. I would put them under my tongue and then let them float up with whatever liquid I was drinking and swallow them without them touching my tongue. It helped prevent the gag reflex.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
You can try and put pills in applesauce. I have had a few kiddos who have needed that.
The whole pill? (You do NOT crush it first, correct?)

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
Old 08-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

My 10 year old was offered the chance to learn with mini M&Ms or other small candies. But she apparently was training herself on macaroni without telling anyone Ewww. But she can do it now and wasn't scared since the mac was soft enough to not feel scary to her. What she does now is take a drink of water to get her whole mouth and throat wet. Then a big drink of water held in her mouth, tips head back and makes a tiny hole in her pursed lips and pushes a pill through then takes another drink to swallow.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Llee (08-05-2021), ViolaMum (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 01:50 PM   #7
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
The whole pill? (You do NOT crush it first, correct?)
Yes, the whole pill. Some pills cannot be crushed bc itll ruin its extended release effect.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 03:10 PM   #8
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
We've done yogurt, too, as well as applesauce. Get a spoonful, pop the pill on, and swallow the whole spoonful down.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (08-04-2021), ViolaMum (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #9
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I always found milk easier than water. (I guess milk is halfway between water and yogurt lol.) It helped the pill stay suspended in the liquid better.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (08-04-2021), ViolaMum (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

Thanks, everyone! So many good suggestions.

Old 08-04-2021, 04:44 PM   #11
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

When my last was 3, she had a pill that our duty station could not liquefy. We practiced with English Peas.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 09:46 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Start with something really small. Even a sesame seed pulled off a bun or roll. I like the idea of mini M&Ms, too.

The trick is to tell yourself there's nothing on your tongue and just drink as if nothing is there.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 06:18 AM   #13
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

She can do tic-tacs and the really small stuff. But she can't get down an ibuprofen tablet. I suspect it's a little more psychological than physical at this point.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:52 AM   #14
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
She can do tic-tacs and the really small stuff. But she can't get down an ibuprofen tablet. I suspect it's a little more psychological than physical at this point.
Part of what got my girls over the psychological aspect was how nasty the liquid zertec taists - she quickly decied that it would be better to swallow the pill and then once she had swallowed a larger pill she has been able to do other ones with out issue

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #15
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Part of what got my girls over the psychological aspect was how nasty the liquid zertec taists - she quickly decied that it would be better to swallow the pill and then once she had swallowed a larger pill she has been able to do other ones with out issue

I have one who actually LIKES Zyrtec.