Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can we talk about anti-inflammatory diets?

I think I need to do this. I'm in pain and I don't like admitting it. I can still function and I feel like I'm too young to be dealing with this much discomfort. It is not all in my head.

My hip hurts. We suspect a torn labrum along with bursitis.

My hands hurt. I know I have CT issues. I am also starting to suspect neuropathy. Need to do more research on that.

Today my back hurts. I slept funny one day last week. Heading in to the chiro this afternoon and hoping that helps.

So, tell me what you know, what I need to know and where to start.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
MamaMansa (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we talk about anti-inflammatory diets?

I have done Paleo, full AIP, Whole30 - you name it, I've done it. I will say the only one that helped was a full, thorough, not-mail-order food sensitivities panel. This was a blood test I did through my naturopath.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-28-2021), SewingGreenMama (05-18-2021), Soliloquy (06-10-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 12:10 PM   #3
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I have done Paleo, full AIP, Whole30 - you name it, I've done it. I will say the only one that helped was a full, thorough, not-mail-order food sensitivities panel. This was a blood test I did through my naturopath.
I was looking at a IgA / IgG panel that tested 96 food sensititivies, but it was mail order, with drops of blood. Or did you have to do vials of blood? Do you think that would work? Would I have had to have been eating all 96 of those foods to have it show up?
I usually order my own tests because I don't have a good Dr, and go to a Quest lab.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-30-2021), MamaMansa (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

I have eliminated all sugar and grains and other foods that I know that I am sensitive to, for about 6 months. My seasonal allergies have completely gone away. I used to have to blow my nose multiple times a day, year round, and was constantly buying Kleenex in bulk. It was a gradual process and I don't remember exactly when it completely stopped. I generally follow the GAPS diet so I also try to eat fermented foods and bone broth daily. Other than resolving the allergies, I am sleeping better and feel better overall.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (05-31-2021), ECingMama (05-31-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #5
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
I was looking at a IgA / IgG panel that tested 96 food sensititivies, but it was mail order, with drops of blood. Or did you have to do vials of blood? Do you think that would work? Would I have had to have been eating all 96 of those foods to have it show up?
I usually order my own tests because I don't have a good Dr, and go to a Quest lab.
It was vials. I paid for a phlebotomist to come to my house. You have to be eating the foods for them to show up.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #6
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with bananacake. I have not done it personally, but my best friend has several AI. She tried all of the autoimmune diets. She saw no improvement with any of them. She got a blood test through her Auto-immune informed dietitian and found out that she reacts very strongly to chicken and sweet potatoes. Which of course are two of the most common foods on unfocused autoimmune diets.
She started eating only foods that were tested 100% safe for her and saw huge improvements. After several months of only eating the safe foods, she started introducing the slightly less safe foods, one a time, and slowly built her diet from there testing things to see what she would react to and what she wouldn't react to.
She then went to a naturopath, and got some other diagnosis that started really turning lights onto some of the roots of her health.
She is healing. She is getting better. But it is still slow going.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo

Last edited by SewingGreenMama; 05-18-2021 at 01:44 PM.
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-28-2021), MamaMansa (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

IMO the simplest way to start, which really isn't simple atall, but easier than any certain diet would be to cut out sugar completely and see how you feel. If it helps you could fine tune from there.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-28-2021), MamaMansa (05-18-2021), Pragmatist (05-18-2021), SewingGreenMama (05-18-2021), ValiantJoy07 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 05:05 PM   #8
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Sugar makes me hurt. Like arthritis in my hands mostly. I've been trying to give it up for years. I'm not making much forward progress, but it's become extremely apparent that it's definitely sugar that causes the pain.

I've been intermittent fasting for 2 years. So much of my pain is gone. I eat in a 6 hour window every day and I only have plain water or plain coffee outside of that time. Pain areas that have resolved: scar tissue, knee, bunion, Achilles tendon, arches, elbows, carpel tunnel, and hip. Now I only deal with pain in my hands if I binge on sugar.

The only thing I know about autoimmune diets is that I probably would not be successful sticking to one!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
ECingMama (05-28-2021), MamaMansa (05-19-2021), Pragmatist (05-18-2021), SewingGreenMama (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 11:27 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I take Qunol brand curcumin and drink tart cherry juice. My doctor says tart cherry juice capsules work better than NSAIDS for inflammatory pain.

I know many people who have done the diets but only a few who felt better. They are very restrictive and that, all by itself, usually results in some weight loss, but it's not necessarily going to result in a lower percentage of body fat. You will likely also catabolize lean body mass.

Processed foods and oils high in omega 6 are the things I would minimize. I would also minimize European olive oil sad it's rarely pure olive oil.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
MamaMansa (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 05:35 AM   #10
BestLaidPlans
Rose Trellis

What was I… eh, scrap it. I'm taking a nap.

BestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond repute

I do an anti-inflammatory diet, as well as does one of my daughters. I can’t type much now, so I will be back when I can. But I will say that it has done wonders for my body.

5 girls 2 boys
4 of my 7 are teens - now 5 are teens!
5 of my 7 have special needs

“Motherhood is heaven and hell, hard and holy.”
-quote from Rachel Nielson
BestLaidPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BestLaidPlans For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (05-30-2021), MamaMansa (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 07:22 AM   #11
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

In my early 20's, I had really severe arthritis in my knees thanks to a whole childhood/adolescence of cheerleading and being the catcher on my softball team. I know that gluten causes/exacerbates inflammation, and since I went gluten free 10 years ago, I haven't had a moment's arthritis pain.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
MamaMansa (05-19-2021), Pragmatist (05-19-2021), ValiantJoy07 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #12
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

It’s sugar for me. I can’t eat any white sugar. I was able to go off without a big detox using amino acids.

I don’t seem to be affected by gluten or dairy. I thought both were issues. I limit both anyway.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
BestLaidPlans
Rose Trellis

What was I… eh, scrap it. I'm taking a nap.

BestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond repute

(Sorry that I'm coming and going on the thread. Hard to type much on my phone, and hard to get time to sit down at my computer.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster View Post
I think I need to do this. I'm in pain and I don't like admitting it. I can still function and I feel like I'm too young to be dealing with this much discomfort. It is not all in my head.

So, tell me what you know, what I need to know and where to start.
I believe you that it's not in your head. And I'm sorry it is happening for you.

Suggestions of where to start?

There are generally accepted categories of foods that cause or worsen inflammation. I'm guessing you're somewhat familiar with at least some of them. Grains, dairy, sugar - these are the big three for most people, it seems to me. So many people start with avoiding processed foods. That's revolutionary in and of itself. It does allow you to avoid all grains, dairy, and sugar very "easily."

That can be overwhelming. So maybe you'd rather just decide to cut out one of those categories. Once you have that category down, then add in another.

Or, you can do it by meal. "For breakfast, I will eat no dairy, no grains, and and sugar. I tend to eat the same three meals all week. So now I need to find three new recipes for breakfast." Much easier. Then you can move to lunch, then move on to dinner. Or whichever order.

Another way you could begin is to simply decide you will add X number of vegetables to every meal, and decide that you will not allow yourself any of a certain type of food until you've had the extra servings of veggies. "I know I'm going to eventually totally cut out grains, so to ease into it, I will always eat 3 servings of veggies before I allow myself a roll at dinner." Because eventually, your meals will be very heavy on the vegetables anyway, and this way you simply are too full to eat grains. It can be a gentler way to push the grains/dairy/sugar out.

Another suggestion is to look at seasonal allergies. Some of the allergies to pollen have foods with which they cross-react. Not everyone has these sensitivities, but they can be useful to keep an eye out for. I discovered several links to my symptoms, but they were after I had a better handle on the big inflammation foods.

One thing is for certain. This is a marathon, not a sprint. And if you're feeling overwhelmed, some of us are always available to commiserate. But every day you try is a day you're better off than you used to be.

5 girls 2 boys
4 of my 7 are teens - now 5 are teens!
5 of my 7 have special needs

“Motherhood is heaven and hell, hard and holy.”
-quote from Rachel Nielson
BestLaidPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BestLaidPlans For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-30-2021), Pragmatist (05-30-2021), The Tickle Momster (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #14
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

This is quite helpful, thank you. I know gluten/enriched wheat is an issue. I also believe dairy and sugar are issues. I've already cut out gluten. I'm cutting way back on dairy and sugar. It is so easy to cheat though. Dh tries to be helpful but often forgets.

I tend to be all or nothing. I do much better with strict diets than with ones that allow an occasional cheat.

I am not sure about seasonal allergies. I wonder if that is part of what triggers my hands at night. . . That is seasonal. Although, I thought it was more winter than spring. This year it has been more spring and they have been mostly fine for the last few weeks.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (06-06-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #15
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I've been following principals from the low histamine diet. Even when I cheat, I learn something about what a higher histamine food feels like. Not everyone would be reacting to too much histamine in the food, or to the same histamines, or, to throw another monkey wrench in it, food that cause the body to produce histamine or suppress DAO production to deal with the histamine. The variation of individuals makes it hard to nail down a low histamine diet, but trying lets me learn the principals and I can really knock out 80% of a problem with 20% effort.

Clear as mud?

So, histamines are the part of wine that causes your face to flush. Red wine has way more than white. Distilled spirits have far less than brews.

Knowing what the face flush effect is has shown me that other principals are legit. Leftovers have more histamine and I'll often freeze leftovers quickly after a meal instead of refrigerating them. Meats flash frozen in the factory have less histamine than those sold thawed. Ground meat is way higher. Beef is always higher because it's always aged unless you specifically order it not aged. Longer cooking produces more so a broth made in an instant pot will be superior to that made from slower cooking.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (06-06-2021)