Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ow ow ow (fluid in the ear? Ringing?)

so I've had this nasty nasty cold (flu?) for a little over a week. Coughing, nose running like a faucet, sore throat, low grade fever. The whole delightful package. I've been seeing the chiropractor during this time, which I think has helped, if for no other reason than my back not killing me from being in bed.

Anyway, I think I'm on the upward trend finally... But yesterday I started getting an awful headache. I took some aspirin, but as soon as that wore off, the headache was back and this time I felt so much pressure in my head! I figure it's sinuses?

Last night (friday night) before bed, my left ear started to really hurt... And then REALLY hurt, and by the time I went to put the baby to sleep, it felt "clogged", with a really loud roaring/ringing. If I tilt my head a certain way I can hear fluid or something shifting. I woke up a bit ago to go to the bathroom, and it's almost unbearable. it's worse if I bend over and hang my head a big, but nothing really makes it feel better...

What's wrong with me and what can I do? I thought about putting breastmilk in there... But I don't know if that will help.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for crunchymum:
Peridot (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ow ow ow (fluid in the ear? Ringing?)

Ear infection. Treat it like you would your babes. Warm oil, garlic oil drops, massage it a bit if you can stand it.

It really does hurt.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShangriLewis For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (03-02-2013), Peridot (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

If you can make it to the chiro today, he can manipulate it and fix it quickly. I was amazed when I had ear pain like you describe how well chiro worked.

If that isn't going to work, what has helped me as well is manipulating and massaging my own ear.

Hope you feel better soon.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (03-02-2013), Weezie (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

I had this 2 weeks ago. Definitely ear infection. What helped me was lots of trips to the chiro, heat, garlic oil, steamed onion on the ear, lymph massage (theres a youtube video). My fever spiked the second night and the next morning the pain was gone, the fluid is still slowly working it's way out. I also used a neti pot occasionally and sometimes it helped and sometimes didn't seem to do anything. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Oh, and I'd definitely do bm in the ear!

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Domina
Rose Garden

Domina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond repute

It's not natural, but Benadryl helps to dry it up and relieve the pressure. Though that will also decrease your milk supply temporarily.

Beaming mama to Sumo since 2010.
Addicted to , curry and my Kindle.

Martyrs make lousy lovers and party guests. ~ Michael Flocker
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

I did breastmilk and garlic oil, and the massage. I also took some aspirin because I was ready to cry and thought I should try to sleep... Thankfully, my chiro practice has hours this morning. I was JUST there yesterday to see her, of course this didn't start up until later in the day!!!

This morning it's still all plugged up and the ringing is horrible. I also sounds like there's a walkie talkie in my ear when the kids say things, with a weird delay effect. It hurts, but it's not the agony I was in last night.

You don't think the massage I got had anything to do with this, do you?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
Domina (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Weezie
Rose Garden

A sign of God's love...

Weezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
Thank you!

I did breastmilk and garlic oil, and the massage. I also took some aspirin because I was ready to cry and thought I should try to sleep... Thankfully, my chiro practice has hours this morning. I was JUST there yesterday to see her, of course this didn't start up until later in the day!!!

This morning it's still all plugged up and the ringing is horrible. I also sounds like there's a walkie talkie in my ear when the kids say things, with a weird delay effect. It hurts, but it's not the agony I was in last night.

You don't think the massage I got had anything to do with this, do you?
I don't know of the massage having anything to do with it. I end up with fluid in my ears after using the neti pot and blowing my nose too hard. It stinks. The chiro helps me a ton. He also suggested a decongestant (and this is coming from a natural guy- I was surprised- but he could tell I was in agony the last time.)

Gentle hugs.
Beansie (8 yrs)
Trooper (toddling around)

The Boo and The Boy too
Daytime "second mother" to Cindy Lou Hoo and Petunia too
Currently DF and WF for trooper
Weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weezie For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

keep taking aspirin. the real aspirin, not motrin or tylenol.
do you still have the lpk ball i gave you? steam it (or nuke it if you are feeling lazy ) and rest over the ear. it's da best feeling

take elderberry and echinacea in large doses.

and last but not least, take some mucinex. (i like off brand from walgreens)

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

ok, i decided it was not fair to not tell everyone what lpk ball was
it's luk pra kob, a thai massage ball. muslin stuffed with medicinal herbs and formed into a ball with a handle. it's meant to be steamed and then used for massage. it's ha-maz-ing.
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Aisling (03-02-2013), crunchymum (03-02-2013), Domina (03-02-2013), Llee (03-04-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I did take some decongestant - I was hoping it wasn't causing a problem.

I'm on my way to the chiro. Man, I feel violent right now... something about the pain and pressure is making me really cagey.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for crunchymum:
Domina (03-02-2013), Peridot (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm on my way to the chiro. Man, I feel violent right now... something about the pain and pressure is making me really cagey.
decongestant may be causing the problem. when i said mucinex, i meant pure guifenesin, just the ingredient that breaks up the mucus.

so glad you are getting to see chiro!
feel better soon
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (03-02-2013), crunchymum (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Arnica taken often might help reduce some of the inflammation.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

What has worked for us every time.Giufenesen and taking half an onion and micro about 30 2nds till steamy juicy,wrap in very thin cloth,hold sliced side over ear so can feel warmth vapors until cools enough to apply directly then apply directly until cools.Then grasp back of ear with thumb andindex finger and make circles towards back each time circle gets in back pulling a little more firmly.Can do as many times a day.Sometimes just one time will do it.Sometimes has taken a couple days

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

Quote:

having just done this- huge hugs. My immune system is stressed- adn I cannot take echinacea becuase it makes my psoriasis go crazy. I tried garlic oil, tried the chiro (whom I normally love), etc.

Yes the pain and pressure was intense and made me angry- as did the constant Aural stimulation. I wanted to rip my ear off.

I gave up and got abx. That was after a week, btw. By day three my ear started opening up. yeah next time I'm not waiting.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

oh- and mucinex/guafeneisin made it horribly worse. increase mucus inside a confined space?? yeahno. Not a good idea.

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Yeah... I've only been on antibiotics twice in my life, and I'm worried about them messing with my system right now. BUT, seriously if this goes on any longer, I'm making an appointment on Monday.

I don't have a micro - is there another way to do the onion?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Peridot (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you put in pyrex dish and in low oven would do it. Just dont want it to get too cooked.Really works.Grand dd woke up in night one time crying in pain,fever,whole 9 yrds and by next day my dd didnt call ped.Another thing is to try an onion poultice where you would boil onion in small amt water and put in thin cloth strain water 1st

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Are you on prbiotics?Have heard of people kind of gargling with jt for throat issues.Maybe could try mixing with warm water and kind of gargling.Also doing same with warm sea salt water might help ear to pop and drain tube not eardrum

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Aisling (03-02-2013), crunchymum (03-02-2013)