Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default People still use Babywise?! AKA: thank you for the resources!

I've not heard about it in years. But a mom in one of my Christian fb mom groups just mentioned she uses it and my jaw hit the floor.
Thank you for the Resources here. She mentioned it as a good resource to a mom of 4 struggling with a difficult sleeper.
I was able to quickly link to resources so she would know the dangers of that book.

I'm now looking for alternative resources for helping baby sleep.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (08-26-2020), everybody's mother (08-26-2020), Hermana Linda (08-25-2020), Soliloquy (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People still use Babywise?! AKA: thank you for the resources!

Wow! I didn't think anyone was still using it either.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-29-2020), SewingGreenMama (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Elizabeth Pantley as an alternative resource.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-29-2020), Llee (08-26-2020), SewingGreenMama (08-25-2020), The Tickle Momster (08-26-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

The mom needing help just admitted she used it with her others and said she was trying other things with this babe because he was not calming down and working himself into a mess.
I've honestly never had a difficult sleeper and have always bed shared. IDK what are good resources.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi View Post
Elizabeth Pantley as an alternative resource.
Thank you!

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-29-2020), FlyingBlueKiwi (08-26-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had an easy sleeper and it's very important for her to know that it's NORMAL and OKAY. It's not easy, of course, but it doesn't mean she's doing something wrong. It is biologically normal for babies to wake to feed during the night.

A baby showing signs of discomfort or pain is another thing but sleep training isn't the answer for that, obviously.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (08-26-2020), everybody's mother (08-29-2020), FlyingBlueKiwi (08-26-2020), Llee (08-26-2020), mommychem (08-26-2020), Quiteria (08-26-2020), rjy9343 (08-26-2020), SewingGreenMama (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 05:00 AM   #6
Beatrice
Seedling Rose

Beatrice is a jewel in the roughBeatrice is a jewel in the roughBeatrice is a jewel in the roughBeatrice is a jewel in the rough

This mom that you mention really needs help. It's one of the most dangerous sources that can find in my opinion. I think you should talk to her and explain it. Hope everything is going to be okay.
Beatrice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beatrice For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-29-2020), MariJo7 (08-29-2020), SewingGreenMama (08-26-2020), Soliloquy (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 05:23 AM   #7
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
This mom that you mention really needs help. It's one of the most dangerous sources that can find in my opinion. I think you should talk to her and explain it. Hope everything is going to be okay.
She was alarmed by what I shared in my post about BW and the Ezzo's and said she would read the links.
I'm really saddened and disheartened that more of these women I've come to care for are stepping up admitting to using BW or a modified versions of CIO.
Praying for Grace and a loving tone to open hearts and minds.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-29-2020), Llee (08-26-2020), mommychem (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the world champion for worst sleeper. There is a reason I have five years between my children and even at ten and five, they wake up at night. I get the why behind it, she's desperate for sleep. I completely understand why she would even consider it.
That being said, I never did it. For Ivy, I took the side off of a crib and put it against my bed and I think we tied the legs to the bed, but it's been so long I can't remember. For Jacob, I put a bedrail on a very firm twin mattress and put it against my bed. Both of them would need to nurse frequently, but slept much better because they didn't have time to fully wake up and fell back asleep while nursing. I usually fell asleep pretty quickly afterwards and was much less tired.
Assuming her baby isn't dealing with colic, allergies, reflux or other medical issues, then her baby might just need to be reassured that everyone is still there and he or she is still safe. That's normal and baby will outgrow it.
I guess my point is to give you something a friend tried and liked. CIO isn't the answer, but it's a very socially acceptable thing to do, so here we are. Add in a the moral issues that BW and others assign sleeping through the night, then it's very hard not to do it.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-29-2020), Llee (08-26-2020), SewingGreenMama (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjy9343 View Post
I had the world champion for worst sleeper. There is a reason I have five years between my children and even at ten and five, they wake up at night. I get the why behind it, she's desperate for sleep. I completely understand why she would even consider it.

That being said, I never did it. For Ivy, I took the side off of a crib and put it against my bed and I think we tied the legs to the bed, but it's been so long I can't remember. For Jacob, I put a bedrail on a very firm twin mattress and put it against my bed. Both of them would need to nurse frequently, but slept much better because they didn't have time to fully wake up and fell back asleep while nursing. I usually fell asleep pretty quickly afterwards and was much less tired.

Assuming her baby isn't dealing with colic, allergies, reflux or other medical issues, then her baby might just need to be reassured that everyone is still there and he or she is still safe. That's normal and baby will outgrow it.

I guess my point is to give you something a friend tried and liked. CIO isn't the answer, but it's a very socially acceptable thing to do, so here we are. Add in a the moral issues that BW and others assign sleeping through the night, then it's very hard not to do it.
Yes, I mentioned bedsharing, I stepped back a bit because I didn't want her to feel like I was badgering her.

everybody's mother (08-29-2020), rjy9343 (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I see babywise recommended a lot. Also I feel like bedsharing is under huge attack lately. When we started people thought it was weird. Now I hear more stuff like that it isn’t safe and if you really love your baby you won’t do it. We still do it.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-29-2020), knitlove (08-26-2020), Llee (08-26-2020), mommychem (08-26-2020), rjy9343 (08-26-2020), SewingGreenMama (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #11
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I see babywise recommended a lot. Also I feel like bedsharing is under huge attack lately. When we started people thought it was weird. Now I hear more stuff like that it isn’t safe and if you really love your baby you won’t do it. We still do it.
Yes. It is under HEAVY attack.
It was a forbidden topic in one of my due date groups because it always caused an outright war.
Another one was better moderated so it was permitted with restrictions or the thread closed. Those who are against bed sharing are militant about it, which is why I'm always hesitant to say anything online, some insane people go real life, and most who think bedsharing is dangerous aren't calm about it.

Aerynne (08-26-2020), everybody's mother (08-29-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

A bassinet next to the bed, a crib next to the bed, or a co-sleeper are all safe options for those who don't want to bed share.

I had a Snuggle Nest with my first and it kept me from going insane. I was so afraid of rolling on her, as she was my first. She would not stay asleep unless I was touching her. I went the first 3 days of her life without sleep. I sent my DH to the store and told him not to come back until he found one. (Mine looked different than this one but it's the general idea.)

When she got too big for it we bought an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper. It can be used as a regular pack 'n play, too. I also used that with my second baby and our first was still in our bed when he was born.

This one looks good, too. https://www.amazon.com/RONBEI-Bassin...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (08-26-2020), SewingGreenMama (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #13
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
A bassinet next to the bed, a crib next to the bed, or a co-sleeper are all safe options for those who don't want to bed share.

I had a Snuggle Nest with my first and it kept me from going insane. I was so afraid of rolling on her, as she was my first. She would not stay asleep unless I was touching her. I went the first 3 days of her life without sleep. I sent my DH to the store and told him not to come back until he found one. (Mine looked different than this one but it's the general idea.)

When she got too big for it we bought an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper. It can be used as a regular pack 'n play, too. I also used that with my second baby and our first was still in our bed when he was born.

These are awesome, I'll let her know.

The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-29-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #14
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingGreenMama View Post
Yes. It is under HEAVY attack.
It was a forbidden topic in one of my due date groups because it always caused an outright war.
Another one was better moderated so it was permitted with restrictions or the thread closed. Those who are against bed sharing are militant about it, which is why I'm always hesitant to say anything online, some insane people go real life, and most who think bedsharing is dangerous aren't calm about it.

I agree it’s under attack. They were very vocal about baby being on his back in a crib or bassinet in the hospital this July when I had my fifth. It was also a big point of contention in a Pregnancy group I was in. So much so that for DS3’s first few days of life, I re-researched bedsharing like I had done with my first. I almost felt like I was being irresponsible though I did it with my other DC. I was reassured again when I saw risk factors of smoking in the house, mom being under the influence of drugs/alcohol and reminded that breastfeeding is actually protection for babies, helping to prevent death of infants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post

I used a snuggle nest with DD1, also. And DH voluntarily left the bed for peace of mind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-29-2020), SewingGreenMama (08-26-2020), Soliloquy (08-31-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #15
rcsmom
Rose Bouquet

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz

rcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to all

I just want to second the books by Elizabeth Pantley. I am actually rereading "the no cry sleep solution" right now and am so encouraged by her gentle tone and the obvious sympathy she has. My library has this an ebook loan so that might be an option for that mom.
rcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rcsmom For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-29-2020), Llee (08-28-2020), MariJo7 (08-31-2020), Quiteria (01-24-2021), SewingGreenMama (08-27-2020), Soliloquy (08-31-2020), The Tickle Momster (08-27-2020)