Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
SillyMommy
Climbing Rose

SillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Screams When Pooping

NAK

3 times now I've seen that dd was about to poop when I went to change her diaper - I held her over the potty and the first two times she stopped going and screamed. The last time she finished going and then screamed. Tears and everything, she gets REALLY upset. Any ideas?

I've not even tried to catch pees - the whole thing overwhelms me. She gives no cues that I can see.
and Mommy to R1 (12) T3, R2 (8.6) T4, R3 (6.9) T1 and R4 (13m)
PaperbackSwap | Goodreads

SillyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Screams When Pooping

Does she scream when she poops in her diaper, too, or just the potty? That affects my response.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-06-2014), MercyInDisguise (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
SillyMommy
Climbing Rose

SillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond repute

No, just the potty. I'm holding over the actual toilet, too, if that matters.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing she's scared she'll fall in. Toilets can be scary.

Do you have a little potty chair? I would leave that out in her normal play area and let her get used to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
mellifera (05-08-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

You're ec'ing though, right? Isn't she new? Or is she one of your older kiddos?

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Oh, I didn't look at your siggie. This is a newborn? I thought it was an older baby/toddler. I would try gradually getting her used to pooping without a diaper. Start with a very loose diaper, then a diaper that is open but still on her butt, give her more diaper free time so she pees/poops with a diaper as a matter of course, etc. It also could be the sitting position. Have you tried letting her poop in her diaper in a sitting position?
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
SillyMommy
Climbing Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
You're ec'ing though, right? Isn't she new? Or is she one of your older kiddos?
I want to but I've never done it. It seems really hard, I mean she sleeps swaddled always, naps swaddled in the swing... how do I do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Oh, I didn't look at your siggie. This is a newborn? I thought it was an older baby/toddler. I would try gradually getting her used to pooping without a diaper. Start with a very loose diaper, then a diaper that is open but still on her butt, give her more diaper free time so she pees/poops with a diaper as a matter of course, etc. It also could be the sitting position. Have you tried letting her poop in her diaper in a sitting position?
Yea, she's almost 3 months. She's pooped into an open diaper before, no problem. She didn't get mad this time until after she was finished... maybe I should try a baby potty - but darn, that's just as messy as changing a poopy diaper, maybe moreso!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I cradled my babies with their backs against my chest when they poo'd. And I let them go in the sink. (I don't have visitors, and I'm not grossed out by bm stool. I just wipe it with a wipe if I want it cleaner after I run water over it.)
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016

Last edited by ECingMama; 05-06-2014 at 09:26 PM.
ECingMama is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (05-08-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

My second son poo'd in my tub. EBF poo doesn't gross me out either. I'd squirt it with some all purpose
Cleaner and rinse it down. Being able to cradle him while I was seated on the edge of the tub was perfect for us.

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (05-08-2014), SillyMommy (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
SillyMommy
Climbing Rose

I'm not grossed out by poo - sink or tub or toilet is fine with me. It's the idea of doing it into something (baby potty) that's not as easy to wash that gets me LOL.

I read a few of the links last night and tried to catch a pee first thing this morning but she'd already gone. By the time I unswaddle her and get the dipe off I've missed my chance I think. We were gone all day but with no plans tomorrow I plan to let her be bottomless while she's awake (she's still only up for 40-60 mins at a time before she goes back to sleep).

It seems really hard, I mean she sleeps swaddled always, naps swaddled in the swing... any tips?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

My only tip is to remember that the goal is not catching, it's communicating.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (05-08-2014), SillyMommy (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #12
SillyMommy
Climbing Rose

I laid her on a towel this morning so I could see how often she went and try to find a cue. She peed 3 times and I never saw it coming!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #13
PlateauMama
Rose Trellis

PlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond repute

Did you cue her when you saw her peeing? So she learns to associate it?
Havi (April '07)
My wild flower Zan (June '09)
My hon bun Loam Loam (Oct. '16)
PlateauMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PlateauMama For This Useful Post:
SillyMommy (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #14
SillyMommy
Climbing Rose

No, but I will try. If I try to hold her in any way when she needs go she gets REALLY mad. I have a friend with a tiny potty that I'm going to borrow and try. For now I'm just laying her on a towel when she's awake, trying to figure out her cues. I will start cueing her, too.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

At first, I find it really hard to catch *all* the pees. It seems like they pee every 10 minutes those early months!! Especially in the morning! Making your sound while she goes for awhile will help. Then, eventually, you can make the sound and she will start to go. And she might start to make her own version of your sound. e.g., I make a "pssssss" sound, and ds2 would blow raspberries. He is the only one who has made any sort of recognizable cue for peeing of the three kids I have done (part time) ec with.

For trying to catch the first pee after being asleep, it's easiest when they are sleeping in the room with you so you can hear them start to wiggle. Sometimes they will wiggle, you undress them so they pee, and then they go right back to sleep in your arms! Also, sometimes they are so comfortable that they pee in their diaper while still basically sleeping and then go back to sleep, so the wetness you feel isn't actually from the post-sleep pee, it is from a mid-sleep pee. Even if they have a wet diaper, I almost always try when they wake up anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
SillyMommy (05-10-2014)