Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:46 PM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Want to help me find a dress to wear to my son's wedding?

My son is getting married in August at our church. I'd like a dress that I will wear again.

Bridesmaids colors are burgundy, so I can't do that color. And I just ordered a royal blue dress for dd2 (almost 16) so now I can't wear royal blue either.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CDA&th=1&psc=1

What do you think about this one?

If this one fits, dd2 will wear this in royal blue. I can't/shouldn't get a dress similar to hers. She's not in the wedding, but will do guest book or something.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...VS9PJK9B&psc=1
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:15 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to help me find a dress to wear to my son's wedding?

That one is really pretty. I might do emerald green to keep with the jewel tone theme if there is burgundy and royal blue.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 05:25 AM   #3
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I like it! Very pretty.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2023, 07:22 AM   #4
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I think that’s a beautiful choice. Lots of colors to choose from. Which ones do you like?

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 09:36 AM   #5
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

My DD has the bottom one in a light blue, and she loves it. It is one of her favorites and she finds a lot of occasions to wear it.

I like both of them.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 05:31 PM   #6
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter got her dress today and it's fits well and is so pretty! It's spinny!

I would do royal blue for me, but I can't wear the same color as my daughter! I could do grape or gray/blue, I think this green is a bit dark for a summer dress

DD1 might wear an orangey dress. Haven't ordered hers yet.

Feel free to look up dresses for me!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 06-02-2023, 08:34 PM   #7
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

They’re both gorgeous!

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 01:15 PM   #8
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

What colors do you typically wear? And how much do you want to accessorize?

I really like the pinks. There's a blush/ballet pink and a brighter rose one in the second. Either would look nice in August. The dark green would wear well going into fall, though, and champagne or gray could be dressed up or down a little more easily if you like jewelry or wraps/cardigans.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 06:30 PM   #9
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
They’re both gorgeous!
Do you think they are different enough that I could get the one with the flowy sleeves (no idea what they're called)?

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
What colors do you typically wear? And how much do you want to accessorize?

I really like the pinks. There's a blush/ballet pink and a brighter rose one in the second. Either would look nice in August. The dark green would wear well going into fall, though, and champagne or gray could be dressed up or down a little more easily if you like jewelry or wraps/cardigans.
I like blues and purples. I like hot pink okay but not regular pink.

I don't really wear jewelry. Somehow over the years I just stopped wearing necklaces or ear rings (well my ears get itchy from ear rings and I haven't figured out what metal is causing it)
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 06-03-2023, 08:36 PM   #10
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I like this one:

DRESSTELLS Women Vintage Cocktail Dresses, Modest Bridesmaid Dress, Formal Prom Tea Dress Color: Green Flower. https://a.co/d/cCVRw1T

Oh wait! Maybe this one!

DRESSTELLS Women Vintage Cocktail Dresses, Modest Bridesmaid Dress, Formal Prom Tea Dress color: Navy Blue Flower. https://a.co/d/5Jbivig

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God

Last edited by Hermana Linda; 06-03-2023 at 08:39 PM.
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 04:13 AM   #11
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

What is the Mother of the Bride wearing?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:17 PM   #12
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
What is the Mother of the Bride wearing?
I will find out
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 06-06-2023, 02:01 AM   #13
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
Do you think they are different enough that I could get the one with the flowy sleeves (no idea what they're called)?

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

I like blues and purples. I like hot pink okay but not regular pink.

I don't really wear jewelry. Somehow over the years I just stopped wearing necklaces or ear rings (well my ears get itchy from ear rings and I haven't figured out what metal is causing it)
Nickel is the most common culprit. Stainless steel and other cheap alloys usually have some nickel in the mix. Some people do well with nickel-free hypoallergenic earrings. Some need to stick with silver or gold. Some end up buying more rare metals like the one that's rainbow-colored. I can't think of the name right now.

If you buy silver or gold earrings, it's best to take note whether they are solid silver or silver-plated. Plated means a thin layer over cheaper metal...and that can chip off. For gold, the number of karats can matter for some people...the higher the karat, the more gold is used in the mix, versus the lower the karat, the more cheap metals are mixed in. So, a 24K gold is more hypoallergenic than 14K or less.

It's also worth noting/observing whether the earring post and earring backs are the same material as the rest of the earring, or whether one of the pieces is a cheaper metal because the maker assumes that it doesn't show or you've accidentally swapped the backs to another pair, etc.

I used to lean toward buying dangling earrings with hooks or loops instead of posts/studs, because I could buy jewelry pliers and replacement loops in silver from the craft store to be able to fix my cheap problematic earrings rather than having to buy every pair with expensive metal. For a long time, I wore a single pair of wire hoops with a few colored beads for decoration that I changed to match my outfit without having to use pliers, but I don't know whether that may have gone out of style.

If necklaces are uncomfortable, it might be the same metal allergy, in which a simple replacement chain or string might feel better, like a satin cord or silver/gold chain. Again, you have to make sure that all components are safe...no cheap metal clasp on the nice safe satin cord. But if pendants are on top of your clothes rather than on your skin, they don't matter as much.

I don't wear jewelry anymore either. Too much bother with too few occasions to care. My ears have long since grown over, so I'd have to wear clip on or screw on earrings if I were really determined, like if I were a bridesmaid in a wedding where everyone in the bridal party had matching jewelry. But for the most part, I'm comfortable saying that it's just not me anymore and not worth the time and cost to come up with jewelry that I will never wear again.

I might make an exception of wearing a necklace for a wedding, because they really do seem to help outfits look more formal. That was one of my tricks for looking more professional when I was teaching, and sometimes you can thrift, borrow, or make fairly cheap options. But it's valid to skip if that doesn't appeal to you.

---------- Post added at 05:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 AM ----------

Oh, also, some people with metal allergies can get away with dipping their earring posts into petroleum jelly or hydrocortisone ointment as a temporary barrier between you and the metal. I'm way too sensitive for that trick, but it helps some people on infrequent, short occasions.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 07:28 PM   #14
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Thank you for taking the time to write that. I really should try to figure out what earrings work.

For necklaces, there's no issue, I just got used to not having one on.

Tonight, at dd1's graduation, I saw a teen wearing the dress I like with the flowy sleeves, in green! I told her I really liked it.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (06-09-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 06:55 PM   #15
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I have allergies to metals and have a really hard time with jewelry, especially when it is hot.
I have tried Claire's hypoallergenic line and it wasn't something I could wear very long. What have found is that nickel free doesn't really mean much in my case and I will react to a lot. I have tried coating my earrings in different things without success.
Simply Whispers is a brand that specializes in hypo allergenic jewelry that I have had good luck with wearing. Pearls and other gemstones are a great option for me since there is no metal to irritate my skin. Sterling silver is supposed to be safe, but I haven't had much luck with it, but I can do 18 karat gold. I have been told that 14 Karat is just as good, but that hasn't been my experience. Some stainless steel is good as long as it isn't mixed with other metals like nickel or copper.
I also have more luck when I choose things like bangles that slide around and don't trap heat or moisture. French hooks are better than studs since there is more air flow than a stud and backing. If I wear studs, they are going to be 18k or worn for a few hours or I will react.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (06-14-2023)