Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   for those who don't use toothpaste (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=394095)

NovelMama 01-24-2011 08:58 PM

for those who don't use toothpaste

We've yet to find a toothpaste AJ can tolerate. They all have too much flavor. So we just brush with water. But her breath lately is pretty ick. What do you (besides chew gum or use mints, both of which she won't do because, again, too much flavor) to keep that from happening?

Aerynne 01-24-2011 09:02 PM

Re: for those who don't use toothpaste

We use Dr. Christopher's tooth powder, but that will probably have too much flavor, too.

What about just brushing with xylitol? It's great for teeth and mild-tasting.

TuneMyHeart 01-24-2011 09:04 PM

I would try xylitol too. AK will tolerate a tiny bit of strawberry Tom's of Maine.

everydaygrace 01-24-2011 09:08 PM

We make a homemade toothpaste and add flavoring to it. That way it doesnt have to be as strong. Let me see if I can remember. It's Ben a while...

IIRC, I think it was just baking soda, vegetable glycerin, and flavoring. We usually used mint. But I did use an orange flavoring once that was kind of weird because I don't associate it with toothpaste. Your daughter might not have that association though, so it might be ok.

houseforjoy 01-24-2011 09:09 PM

xylitol or baking soda. also make sure you are brushing her tongue really well as that is really where most of the bad breath comes from

Damselfly 01-24-2011 10:25 PM

We order toothpaste online and sometimes run out for a while until we can get more ordered. I have my children rinse with a herbal infusion after brushing. (I use it too.) It keeps the stinky mouth syndrome away. :giggle I usually use a mix of rosemary, thyme, spearmint and sage but sometimes I just use thyme. I make a strong infusion and keep it in the fridge. I dilute it with warm water before rinsing.

homesteadmama 01-25-2011 08:43 PM

I brush just with baking soda. I do notice that if i don't get my tongue good enough, my breath stinks.

me 01-26-2011 03:00 PM

calcium bentonite clay (internal grade) mixed with water and raw honey. Most allergy friendly thing I could come up with. Super cheap super effective.THE BEST!! will get rid of the bad breath too. you can add flavor to it, whatever is liked the best :D

cobluegirl 01-26-2011 07:40 PM

Thanks Me for that suggestion...

We have yet to find a toothpaste ds will use too. He is supposed to be using Xylitol. I can't honestly say if he is using it though.

me 01-27-2011 12:34 PM

yw :) I have found that the kids actually learn to crave the health that clay brings and will ask me for it. Plus, there's nothing more fun than making your own toothpaste and letting them personalize their own toothpaste with a flavor they love. lemon was a hit here. though its yummy as is, who doesnt like honey.

Thankfulforgrace 01-27-2011 04:08 PM

we just do water :shrug

lalani 01-27-2011 04:11 PM

i did baking soda for a while, but the sodium started to irritate my gums (i have super sensitive skin). currently using a burt's bees product b/c it has less of the "mouth stripping" ingredients (which i was becoming allergic to). their children's toothpastes might be flavorless enough? :shrug3

me 01-27-2011 06:46 PM

awesome heather! i wish we were so blessed. our teeth would be all gray grimey if we tried that, cause we have.rotfl seriously, I would LOVE to be able to just brush with water. but you know what they say about the gut and the mouth. we are always having to be mindful of our teeth. just born that way :(

starbyfar7 01-31-2011 08:07 AM

we just use baking soda mixed with a little peroxide to make a paste. as long as dd brushes her tongue really really well and keeps up with the flossing, her breath is fine. but when she's lazy and does the quick 20second brush her breath can be pretty:yuck