Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute
Default General Anesthesia

I had no idea where to put this.

Because of insurenace nightmares my kids have never been to a dentist till yesterday. And as expected, they have several problems to get fixed. They are recommending that the 5yo go under general anesthesia to get it done and that I keep it as an option for the 7yo if the first appointment with local goes poorly.

what are the risks?

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Anesthesia

anyone?

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

I am not finding good info via google. No one has any input?

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneandbaby
Every kid of mine has had general anesthesia for something by this point. Honestly, the number one side effects of general anesthesia are nausea upon waking, upset tummy, and sore throat from the tube they use to keep the airway from being compromised. Often they'll have an anesthesia "hangover" for 24 hours or so, with headaches or just a general feeling of being "off".

Very rarely, a child can have an allergic reaction to components of the anesthesia used. But really, general anesthesia is pretty safe, almost always safer than the side effects/risks of the actual procedure they're undergoing in the first place.

HTH.
Thank you

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Old 02-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Lisa

Your question reminded me of this video I saw last night. I dare you not to laugh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b8Q5BK3-ZQ

My oldest ds had to go under general anesthesia and he came out fine, no nausea, but he was groggy for a day or two afterwords.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Poor kiddo. I've felt like that

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Old 02-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I had sedation for oral surgery. I'm not sure if that's the same as GA. I had an IV and I think a high dose of valium but I don't remember, I was a teenager.

Would it be done in a children's hospital or the dentist's office? Personally, I'd be more comfortable in a hospital w/ an anesthesiologist there. A dentist may not be very experienced in GA.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

i would either be a dental hospital - like surgery place. Or the office. Both pediatric and both do them regularly

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
This Busy Mom

I know MommyTay has had more than one foster child who has had to be put under anesthesia for dental work. I am hoping she sees this.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
mommyTay

Sorry, just finally seeing this, it has been a hectic few weeks. In 2004, I had 3 little ones have MAJOR dental work under general anesthesia. They were 3, 4 and 5 at the time. They had no complications and do not seem to remember anything about the whole situation.

The only one that got sick from it was ME. I was 5 months pregnant, and foolishly scheduled all three the same day. I had no sleep to keep them from eating and drinking after midnight (not as easy as you might think), worried for the kids, monitoring the birth parents that came along, and the surgeries were running way behind schedule. Other than me, the surgery and recovery went very well.

My 16 yo will be going under GA for a dental issue as soon as our insurance accepts the claim.

Thinking back, it seems we had less complications and frustrations in that situation than our current 2 in braces.

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything specific.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute

Mac just had extensive dental work under general anesthesia in 3 hours he had 2 extractions (molars) 6 silver crowns placed (the remainder of his molars) and 2 porcalin crowns placed (2 front teeth)

He came through just fine...and was able to get EVERYTHING DONE including a very good cleaning and some gum work (he has pominent upper gums) something we could never do in a dental office.
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote