Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default My cat picked up something infectious at the vet

When my cat came home after his surgery, he had this little tiny red patch on his belly close to where his incision was. I thought it was just a spot where he had licked because he couldn't get to the actual spot because of his cone. It went from being pinkie nail sized to the size of an oval shaped quarter. It was black and kind of scabby. I am kicking myself because I didn't call the vet then and there. He had a similar small scab near the base of his tail after a day or two of being home, which I also thought was just his overactive grooming after being released from the cone. It was buried in his fur so I couldn't really see it, only feel it.

Well, we just got back from being away for a week & he has a similar black spot around the side and base of his left eye. The belly scab has half fallen off & is pink and oozy. I am so worried that his eye will get this way too. I'm also worried that it is something infectious that will transmit to his sister or to us humans.

I should stop googling because I'm getting horrific pictures of feline miliary dermatitis and feline ringworm. And every site seems to say that whatever it is could be shedding so we should be keeping him isolated in the house. He's been sleeping on every couch & sleeping surface, and right now is snuggled up in bed sleeping with dd.

Our cat is an indoor cat & the only exposure he has had to other cats (other then his indoor sister) is the cats at the vet. They had a whole room of feral cats that were part of a spay and release program. He was kept in a different room, but now I'm suspicious that something was transmitted.

It is a holiday week here where I live and everything is closed. Tomorrow I'm going to have to try and track down our vet to see what we should do.

Do these black scabby things sound familiar to anyone here?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
mom2boys
Rose Garden

mom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My cat picked up something infectious at the vet

I have no idea, but it sounds icky!
Have you called the vet?
Ben (14) Greyson (11) Gabe (8)
INFP and DYT 3/2
mom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute

Take him to the vet ASAP. It sound like what my Mom's elderly cat had...his cheek fell off It was a skin infection not sure what caused it...but ewww.
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get a hold of your vet? It doesn't really sound like ring worm to me. I would get it checked out for sure.
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm taking him to the vet this morning. It has gotten worse since I first posted.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry. I have no idea. How frustrating! I will for you lil' kitty.

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
expatmom
Rose Garden

Well, the vet thinks it is ringworm. He looked at it under a blue light & said that is what it is.

Because our cat is an indoor cat only & the only contact he has had with other animals is when he was hospitalized at the vet, he probably contracted it there. The jr. vet was none to pleased to admit it might be a hygiene issue at his clinic. I'm honestly not too bothered if that is where he got it. They do a lot of charitable work with feral cats there plus the staff spends a lot of time snuggling and loving on the animals, so I can see how a particularly rampant infection could possibly be passed. I know they are going to be far more cautious now.

The vet offered treatment for our cat & his sister free of charge. The wounds on our cat are pretty gross, so he's kept him at the clinic until they are fully healed (which he says might take weeks ) and given me antibiotics for our other cat.

Honestly, I'm a bit skeeved by the thought of all of us contracting ringworm so if they can fix him up at the clinic then I'm okay with that.

Anyways, that is the update. I hope he heals quickly and completely.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen black scabs from ringworm...usually they are white. Ringworm is not the only fungal infection visible under black light.

If you do see signs of ringworm on your other pet(s) or yourselves, you can cure it with apple cider vinegar dabbed on the affected area 4-6 times a day. It changes the PH of the skin so the fungus cannot survive, and IME works far better and faster than topical medications and harsh chemical baths.

I've worked at several animal hospitals, we've all loved on many pets both domestic and ferel, and never ever have I heard of a pet contracting a fungal infection from a visit. Especially a surgical patient - who should be in purely sterile areas the entire duration.

I would be very hesitant to leave my kitty (recovering from surgery at that) in this facility and definitely would not use them again.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Just thinking a bit more....this could more likely be mange...and that would explain why he wants to keep her for weeks...

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
expatmom
Rose Garden

I appreciate your insights Kym.

I'm honestly not convinced it is classic ringworm, although I know there are a variety of different types. I'm hoping they will do a culture on it this week. I've googled mange & it definitely doesn't look like that either. What I am convinced of is that it definitely is some sort of infection.

Our cat was at the clinic for a full week last time, so there was definitely time for exposure. They didn't have their permanent cat kennels ready yet, so it wasn't as pristeen as it is now.

We don't live in North America & standards are different here. I am confident with the quality of care that we have received at this particular clinic and quite honestly we don't have any better options.

I am going to see if I can buy some apple cider vinegar tonight. I would think it would sting on a open wound, wouldn't it?

My plan is to let them keep him until I know he has stopped breaking out in these wounds & then bring him home.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot you are in another country...

Mange in cats is uncommon but when I've seen it, it is more black dot/scab than hair loss as seen in dogs. Typically it's a secondary bacterial infection on top of the scabies.

Definitely do not apply ACV to any wounds or open sores! It should only be used on your or other pets if you see obvious signs of ringworm, which never include open sores unless it has gone untreated for seriously long periods of time.

I would absolutely request a scrape/culture - it only takes a minute to look under the microscope to determine if it is ringworm or something different. Also, the treatment for topical infections is generally quite toxic and something you want to avoid at all costs if possible for cats.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
expatmom
Rose Garden

I'll call today to ask for the scrape.

The vet did say that ringworm, in its various types, is a massive problem here. He saw more ringworm in his first month here then he'd seen in his whole career in the UK. This is the same country where rabies is the leading infectious disease for human death.