Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation
Thumbs down I have a peice of glass embedded in my foot.

So I stepped on a peice of glass about 3 weeks ago. It wedged itself up underneath my callus on the outside edge of my foot.

yuck warning-

I got a big peice out, but not before I heard a 'crunch' and immediately knew a peice had broken off inside. I thought if I kept the skin soft with a drawing salve, that peice might work its way out.

Fast forward to the begiining of the week last week- It seems tender. Covered it again, tried more drawing salve. well, it's not helping, the area keeps getting more tender...and I am sure there's a peice in there.

How long can I wait to get seen? We have no money and no insurance.

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say they are praying for Peridot:
Damselfly (08-26-2010), Rabbit (08-16-2010), sweetpeasmommy (08-16-2010), tofufoofoo (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Leen
Deactivated

Leen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have a peice of glass embedded in my foot.

Oh, no!

I don't know...but you don't want to get an infection. Praying that it comes out or you can find a way to be seen without having to fork over a lot of money you don't have.
Leen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leen For This Useful Post:
Peridot (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
joyful mama
Rose Garden

Word of God speak...

joyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond repute

eek! that's not good

My sister got a salve from the health food store a 'drawing' salve that draws things out of the skin.. that's what she did for glass.

I wouldn't wait on something like that, if you can figure something out... a clinic?

Married to my knight in shining armor

Work-in-progress mother to my three awesome kids:

S (8), T (6) and the Little Guy (3)
...and always remembering our little angel

joyful mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joyful mama For This Useful Post:
Peridot (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think glass is one of the things that works itself out.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Peridot (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

A needle?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
Peridot (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Peridot
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful mama View Post
eek! that's not good

My sister got a salve from the health food store a 'drawing' salve that draws things out of the skin.. that's what she did for glass.

I wouldn't wait on something like that, if you can figure something out... a clinic?
yup. The salve I used was a drawing salve- Porter's it's called. It's worked on deep splinters before, but this is too deep, I think, and too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post
I don't think glass is one of the things that works itself out.
Now, I'm thinking not either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
A needle?

well, when I got the first peice out, I couldn't see anything else- so I think it's pretty deep. I could soak it in epsom salts, and keep it covered with more salve- just to keep it soft.

i'm thinking I have to find someone to look at it- I can't end up hospitalised for a blood infection right now.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

The Following User Says they are praying for Peridot:
Maggirayne (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no!
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
Peridot (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

Owwie, owie, pain! I'll be praying for you and that piece of glass to come out asap.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
Peridot (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I got a huge shard last week. It was bad enough without the breaking off. I hope you can figure out a way to get seen. Do you have a clinic that will charge based on income?

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Peridot
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
I got a huge shard last week. It was bad enough without the breaking off. I hope you can figure out a way to get seen. Do you have a clinic that will charge based on income?
Oh No!

I think there may be a sort of 'shepherd's Clinic' sort of deal. You have to apply for it though. I need to get an application from my Pastor.

i soaked it in epsom salts, and then used a foot razor to take off thin layers of the callus. it does ssom like there's a round white spot in there...it's less painful now, I'm going to cover it w some salve and a bandage, and see what it looks like tomorrow.

My friend's husband is a doctor, and he may be willing to open it for me.

The Following User Says they are praying for Peridot:
sweetpeasmommy (08-16-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

That's so stinky. M had to do minor surgery to remove a piece of glass from my foot a couple of weeks ago. no fun!

Hope you find a way to get it taken care of soon.
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Niphredil For This Useful Post:
Peridot (08-17-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
Leen
Deactivated

Leen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond repute

How is your foot?
Leen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leen For This Useful Post:
Peridot (08-19-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to chime in & say that glass will work its way out. It just takes time. My dad put his arm through a plate glass window when I was 12. It was at a family party. There were 2 RNs there. They helped get all the glass they could & bandaged him up. Years later he would feel glass working its way out. Not sure about yours being on the bottom of your foot though.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
Peridot (08-19-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
Peridot
Rose Garden

I think it being in the bottom of my foot is the problem.

Last night at church fellowship, I was able to get my doc friend to look at it. He poked it, and it hurt! He said it was probably working in deeper due to walking on it.

HE said and x-ray would show the glass, but if I wanted to try cut in myself, I should soak my foot before I do.

I may try that. but not tonight.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

I got a shard of pottery deep in the ball of my foot early this summer. The body will encapsulate it. You have to keep making sure there is no infection. In my case, it took 3-4 weeks for the last shard to finally work its way out. Until then, I wore Crocs or sneakers which evenly distributed my weight so I could walk and also so it didn't keep getting embedded deeper with the walking.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote