Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anxiety - natural remedies?

Dh has anxiety issues. He doesn't realize how bad his anxiety is (until I told him yesterday after a specific incident), but everyone around him sees it.

Anxiety runs in his family, his mother and all three of his siblings suffer from it to some extent.

He is not opposed to medication, but we'd like to try natural remedies first. He is currently off sugar (just for about two weeks now). He takes some supplements but not with consistency. He eats mostly well (when he's home) - his diet is organic and whole foods, low grain (some brown rice and natural, whole grain breads baked by me), low dairy (and raw when he does eat it), high protein (beans, grass-fed beef and free-range chicken we buy locally); and a decent amount of fruits and vegetables. He does sometimes eat not so great at work or when he's stressed (though that's improving).

Suggestions?

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anxiety - natural remedies?

Have you considered a classical homeopath. That has helped me and my ds SO much with anxiety.

Low grain, high protein is good - GAPS diet is good.

Specific treatments:

Rescue remedy for specific situations
Cal/Mag at night for overall calmness
B complex
Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil blend

Trying to remember what else we've used.

We only use the above now that we are SO much better due to homeopathy and the GAPS diet

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (03-29-2012), RiverRock (03-29-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
MamaMansa
Deactivated

MamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to all

Several of our family members take:

Good Mood Tonic (thanks SonshineMama!)
Chamomile Peppermint Tea
B-Complex
Cod Liver Oil Softgels
Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin D blend

Also use Rescue Remedy.

We use a lamp ring with essential oils like lavender, orange, chamomile...they have some blends that are made for anxiety too.
MamaMansa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaMansa For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (03-29-2012), tempus vernum (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to the above I occasionally use certain teas. The herbs help and so does the ritual of slowing down to make and steep a cup of tea. Chamomile is mildly calming. When it is more intense I will go for kava. Traditional Medicinals also makes one called Easy Now that can help bring me down when I'm headed for an anxiety spiral.
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iarwain For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (03-29-2012), RiverRock (03-29-2012), tempus vernum (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, I forgot about the above -- I used to do good mood tonic every day until GAPs

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I see someone annually for med management. He's VERY up on the latest research in meds (attends conferences at the Mayo Clinic and many other places). When I saw him last month he said that there is a ton of research that came through in the last year suggesting that the amino acid NAC (N. Acetyl Cysteine, IIRC) combined with B-12 and D is making a big impact in this area. It takes 4-6 weeks to kick in, but apparently can almost equal some prescription meds.

He suggested to me:

Start on NAC at 600mg twice daily for a week, then go to 1,200mg twice daily. B-12 1000 to 2000mcg once daily and D 1000IU once daily.

It seems to have helped in my case, which is as an addition to a med.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (03-29-2012), Katigre (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

sub
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Been dealing with this also. What's mentioned already is great: cognitive behavior therapy, RR, B complex, fish oils all help.

I'll add, getting enough sleep, at least 8 hours. And phosphatidylcholine has helped tremendously at the onset of feeling anxious. Poliedopy (sp?) mentioned it over a year ago, others agreed, so I tried it.

Also I picked up a "Christian" book at life way. I've been insulted by lots of Christian views on anxiety but this book was by a doctor and it was so helpful. The verses were uplifting as well as practical ways to implement the cognitive behavior therapy that katigre was talking about. If your DH is into self-help books this could help. http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Anx...3070185&sr=1-1 I liked it because there was no inclination to me that I could pray anxiety away or that something was spiritually wrong with me because I had uncontrollable anxiety.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018

Last edited by simplegirl; 03-29-2012 at 06:20 PM.
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (03-29-2012), Katigre (03-29-2012), RiverRock (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, everyone.

He does take fish oil. I know the B-complex helps me, so I will get some for him. I also take Calmag so maybe he'll share it with me.

Rescue Remedy didn't work.

He often doesn't get enough sleep.

A friend of mine just told me about her homeopath, and I've been meaning to give him a call and make appointments for everyone. I guess I'll do so sooner rather than later.

I'll try some of the other recs, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplegirl View Post
Also I picked up a "Christian" book at life way. I've been insulted by lots of Christian views on anxiety but this book was by a doctor and it was so helpful. The verses were uplifting as well as practical ways to implement the cognitive behavior therapy that katigre was talking about. If your DH is into self-help books this could help. http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Anx...3070185&sr=1-1 I liked it because there was no inclination to me that I could pray anxiety away or that something was spiritually wrong with me because I had uncontrollable anxiety.
Dh has this book and used it in the past, and he said it worked well. Those things aren't working now (I guess ) as the intensity seems ratcheted up. Or maybe he needs to reread it.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
L-Boogie
Rose Trellis

L-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond repute

Exercise helps my dh.

11/06 2/10 8/13
L-Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to L-Boogie For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Boogie View Post
Exercise helps my dh.

oh yeah, this too.

Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Sunlight can also help.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
Those things aren't working now (I guess ) as the intensity seems ratcheted up. Or maybe he needs to reread it.
Cognitive behavior therapy only works for us (ds and I) relatively stress free times of life. Right now, we are in a super HIGH STRESS, FAST PACED month and we need LOTS of nutritional support. I actually have wished for my xanax a few times this month don't have scripts anymore though - it's been A LONG time now .

ANd I personally find that some things help during specific seasons (For example, our anxiety causes the most sleep disturbances during summer why I have no clue - so we melatonin it in summer). When I am super stressed, rescue remedy plus good mood tonic every a.m. is the only way (i mean rescue remedy in my water that I sip - not a dose when I am showing my anxiety). Rescue remedy does nothing for our panic attacks but only works preventatively for us. Sometimes I can actually feel it coming on or see it in my dc. I either do the water or first thing in the a.m. if I know they'll be anxious - or I give it to them right before the event if I know it will cause anxiety.

I think it's really a personal issue that can take years to figure out how to manage. We still have flare ups but for the most part we are away from the "med danger" and are all safe and managing naturally

Praying as you navigate all the options -- that you find what works best for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
simplegirl (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We took Simon to this doctor www.elementalsliving.com and they muscle tested him for a bunch of supplements. Wow, complete turnaround! Simon's anxiety was ruling our family previously.

This is what Simon takes:

Immediately upon waking, empty stomach:
Probiotic (BioKult)
GABA

With breakfast:
L-5-hydroxytrytophan (5-htp)
L-tyrosine
N,n-dimethylglycine (DMG)

With lunch:
B12 (2,000 mcg)
L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-mthf)

Mid-afternoon, empty stomach:
GABA

Dinner:
5-mthf
L-tyrosine
5-htp

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

He can muscle test himself for any supplements. Of all the ones I listed, the ones I would try first are GABA and 5-htp. They're at vitacost and any hfs. Probiotics are essential, imo, with any emotional/mental issue.

Self testing: http://www.ladybarbara.net/html/self-testing.html

Had he ever had an IgG allergy test done? Any digestive our skin issues?
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (04-01-2012), hellomama (04-04-2012)