Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Vaccination Awareness *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vaccination Awareness *Public* We encourage you to study and learn about the pros and cons of vaccinations so you can make an informed choice.
A public forum.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute
Default I told my pediatrician I'm not vaxing

You all converted me. blech. But here I am, "on the other side". Mostly because my pediatrician poisoned my child with acid reflux medicine and a naturopath healed him. So my trust of conventional medicine - wavering in the first place- took a major nose dive.

He's ten months old and hasn't been there since his two months and, truth be told, I'd rather never bring him for a check-up again. But I need her for referrals and medicine. so whatever. Plus, I didn't want them to accuse me of medical neglect. I have yet to navigate the legality of all these decisions. So I dragged my butt there and prepared myself for the angry speech. Which was about as bad as I thought it would be. I told her that I wasn't doing it light heartedly and she was like, "you giggle but it's not funny". I TOTALLY giggle when I'm nervous. So I tried to put a sober face on then.

His pediatrician started to make a case for DTaP and I immediately jumped in to say that that was the one vaccine I had wanted to give him but when I researched it I found that there was dairy in it and he is allergic to dairy. She said that she has patients that are so allergic to dairy that one taste of it they have to go to the emergency room and they get that vaccine. I looked at her kind of blankly. She was expecting me to be like "Oh, of course, go ahead then and give him the vaccine with an ingredient he's allergic too". Instead I said, "well, I'm still not giving it to him". We both kind of just stared at each other like we were at an impasse, which we were. I bet you she wouldn't give an egg based vaccine to a child allergic to eggs. I bet she didn't even know about the dairy thing. Because it's a very little known fact. I bet you those kids who got it went home and had bad reactions that she isn't even aware of.

I had to refrain myself from debating her and just nod. I couldn't bite my tongue though when she said that 250 people got the measles in a recent outbreak. I looked at her with fake incredulousness and said, "there were 250 unvaccinated kids?" Knowing full well that most of them were vaccinated. And she was like "well, not kids, but people" Totally proving to me her ignorance. I wish doctors would educate themselves on both sides of the issue. Then she transitioned into "That guy got sent to jail" which was a terrible transition because I"m thinking the guy who brought the measles virus in town? But I eventually figured out she was talking about Andrew Wakefield, of MMR vax study fame. I wanted to be like, "that's a witch hunt" but instead I made a mental note to look into it further since I'm not really informed on that.

Finally she ranted a little about Jenny Mcarthy and how she can say what she wants without getting sued, whereas she-herself would get sued if there's a vaccine reaction. And in my head I'm like because that's bull. If something went wrong the government insurance program would pay up and that would be the end of it.

So, I thought that went pretty well considering. I should get a sticker for keeping my mouth shut.
Mom to: 4 boys, a girl and one due Dec. 12. ( is a different Dad. This man ISN'T abusive.)

Last edited by deena; 04-29-2012 at 06:34 PM.
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
hey mommy (04-25-2012), HomeyT (04-25-2012), momyshaver (04-25-2012), MrsHutch (04-24-2012), staceylayne (04-24-2012), StrangeTraveller (04-25-2012), ValiantJoy07 (04-24-2012), WI Mama05 (04-25-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

loving my family since 1991

Leslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I told my pediatrician I'm not vaxing

You know if I ever decided to go non vax I would just see a family doctor. They dont ask I dont tell.

Mommy to our valentine sweetheart, Jessica Lynn, and March Jellybean, Kaitlyn Elizabeth. My heart is overflowing with love for my precious girls.

Wife to my best friend

Homeschooling, co sleeping, baby wearing mommy
Leslie_JJKs_mom is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leslie_JJKs_mom For This Useful Post:
deena (04-24-2012), Zooey (04-29-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

A type 1/2 E/INTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me more about you saying he poisoned your child with acid reflux meds?
Remembering 'lil Hutch since Feb 2012
Approved to adopt from foster care since Nov 2013
Waiting for God to grow our family

PM me to connect with other Complementarian/WoS ladies.

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
gentlemommy (04-24-2012), PDX Mommy (04-24-2012), Quiteria (04-29-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
MiriamRose
Rose Garden

Growing is hard work

MiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond repute

If a doctor ranted to me about Jenny McCarthy I would and say "I don't even know who that is. What does she have to do about my decision about this?" because I hear her name brought up a lot (by people trying to invalidate someone's decision not to vax) but I honestly have no idea who she is. Nor have I heard or read anything by her in any of the sources I've used to inform myself.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

And also if you need a mainstream doctor for the referrals and stuff, I would switch to a family doctor who is better informed and more respectful.

Wife to my Submariner for 5 years!
MiriamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MiriamRose For This Useful Post:
Llee (04-25-2012), ValiantJoy07 (04-24-2012), Zooey (04-29-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

Location: Autumn Sunshine ...dozey prose...in a city of parks ...
ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

woke doctors can be so frustrating. I don't jot vaccinate lightly..but after researching the history of vaccines and experiencing some horrible reactions I don't vaccinate lightly either (we delay and are very selective.
Since 2005
Peace living, home schooling, knit loving Mama to my JOYS...
R 6 DYT 2
A 5 DYT 3/4 SPD and other stuff
P 2.5 DYT 1/4 or 4/1
two
Carefully avoiding all the foods.
I promise, I'm a nice person. I post between things... fast! I like you, read my words with 3 kids talking loudly between us and you'll get it. I want to people, so I post... a little briskly some times.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

*rubs hands manically and goes in search of another pro vaxer to convert.....*

J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (04-26-2012), hey mommy (04-25-2012), joysworld (04-25-2012), MrsHutch (04-24-2012), Niphredil (04-25-2012), PaperMomma (04-25-2012), PrincessAnika (04-24-2012), Shutterbug (05-11-2012), tazmom (04-25-2012), Thankfulforgrace (04-26-2012), Weezie (04-26-2012), WI Mama05 (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
MercyInDisguise
Rose Garden

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.

MercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie_JnJs_mom View Post
You know if I ever decided to go non vax I would just see a family doctor. They dont ask I dont tell.
Oh, they ask alright.
Mama to
A brand new
a little one who will only ever know heaven 8/1/13
MercyInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MercyInDisguise For This Useful Post:
houseforjoy (04-26-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
DoulaClara
Deactivated

DoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you have to poke around. I feel fortunate that we've been going to a vax-choice-friendly doctor for the last five years. He does vaccinate, and he does recommend certain ones (about four), and abhors certain other ones, and will. Not. Do the Gardasil one, but he always leaves it up to the parents. He's a DO, and may we be so lucky to find someone of his ilk in NY. We don't agree 100% about vaccines, but he knows that firing patients over vaccines, or even making a toddler-esque stink over non-vaxing patients, is detrimental to his practice, and doesn't help families or children in the slightest. Maybe someone in your area has a good recommendation?
DoulaClara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

I brought our little man in to meet the doc yesterday...you know just incase we need one in the future....and totally got the vax talk... She even mentioned grave stones etc. Shock! Total guilt trip. Like we weren't making an informed decision. Anyhow thanks for sharing your story! I was feeling down about my visit your shared experience gives me comfort!

Last edited by HomeyT; 04-25-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Maybe a little sensitive
HomeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeyT For This Useful Post:
deena (04-26-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
ReedleBeetle
Moderator in Loving Our Husbands and Little Explorers
I support GCM!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

Wait...wait....?!?!

Yeah......it does say Deena.

hold on....

Yep.....that's her picture.

Wait.....wha?

I'm so......surprised and impressed! Kudos for coming and even letting us know you switched sides and double kudos for keeping your head so well!!!

Committed my to Boogalah June 2004

2 Little Ones I'm waiting to hold in Heaven.

ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
deena (04-29-2012), J3K (04-26-2012), Thankfulforgrace (04-26-2012), WI Mama05 (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
WI Mama05
Rose Garden

God, you've got this!

WI Mama05 has disabled reputation

Yay!!! DD3 is the only non-vaxed of mine and I am 100% sure it was the right thing for her! I am blessed to have an AWESOME pediatrician who is ON BOARD with our vax status
WI Mama05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
I couldn't bite my tongue though when she said that 250 people got the measles in a recent outbreak. I looked at her with fake incredulousness and said, "there were 250 unvaccinated kids?" Knowing full well that most of them were vaccinated.
Here is a very good explanation of this issue from cbmk4 in another thread: http://gentlechristianmothers.com/co...d.php?t=446843

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmk4 View Post
It's been stated that higher percentages of the whooping cough cases are vaccinated people as opposed to unvaccinated. While, I have not researched to see if this is actually true, I would not be surprised if it were and neither would any scientist. Here's why:

Take disease X for which a vaccine exists. Let's assume the vaccine for disease X has about 85% efficacy in producing immunity and protecting those immunized. (If we are thinking about the average efficacy of all vaccines, that is probably low, but for the vaccine skeptical, I'll keep it at 85% for this illustration. We know that no vaccine is 100% effective for the entire population.)

Now let's assume that for disease X about 95% of a given population is fully vaccinated. That means that for a population of 100,000 people, 95,000 people are vaccinated and 5,000 aren't.

Of those who are vaccinated, we can expect that 80,750 people have protective immunity, while the remaining 14,250 do not. If we add the 5,000 people who aren't vaccinated with the unprotected vaccinated people we get 19,250 people who are potentially at risk for contracting disease X.

During an outbreak of disease X let's assume that the unprotected people have a 50% chance of catching disease X if they are exposed. (This estimate may again be low, because in real life diseases like measles and whooping cough are highly contagious. I've kept the attack rate low on purpose for those who may argue that the unvaccinated people may have a high rate of natural immunity--an argument I wouldn't agree with if we are talking whooping cough or measles) Anyway, that means that 7,125 vaccinated people will fall ill with disease X, and 2,500 unvaccinated people will fall ill with disease X.

Yes, more people who are vaccinated than unvaccinated became ill with disease X, because there are so many more people vaccinated to start with. Additionally, of all who fell ill with disease X, roughly 75% of them were vaccinated. Again, same results for the same reason of so many people being vaccinated.

BUT, let's look at these numbers a little differently: of all the vaccinated people, only 7.5% became ill with disease X, while 50% of the unvaccinated became ill. That's a huge difference, in my opinion.

My example is completely made up, but principles hold true whenever we are talking about a situation of disease outbreak in a highly vaccinated population. The numbers serve to illustrate the effectiveness of vaccines, not their failure.
In other words, what is relevant is the comparison of the percent of unvaccinated who become sick (which is much higher) to the percent of vaccinated who become sick with the disease. If you are looking at the wrong thing (how many become sick who were vaccinated compared to the overall population of all vaxed and unvaxed), it can lead to a great misunderstanding of this issue.

If you still decide to not vaccinate, your choice, but it is good to have a proper understanding.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

I abhor doctors who deign to treat me like a small child and try to belittle, shame and argue me into compliance. There's no better way to get me to dig in my heels than to do that. I have such a knee-jerk reaction that I confront them head on about their bed-side manner. I won't debate the vaccine issue, I inform them I refuse to be talked down to as though I'm ignorant and did not do my research. This is MY child, I am HIS mother, and I know him best.
The doctor that argued with me over every little thing received that speech, along with an accusation that he had been argumentative from the moment he walked in the door. And he argued back that he hadn't been arguing!

WTG on standing firm. The hardest part I've found is the assumption that no vax= no research. The assumption that I don't vax because of Jenny McCarthy is shot down by pointing out I chose to not vax at least a decade before Jenny McCarthy had her son. My decision is based on research, not Hollywood star-worship.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
Llee (04-26-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

. The ped we saw when Sammy was first born was very pro-vax. Though he did say he would work with parents who insisted on delaying vaxes. We switched peds after S's first visit. The ped we have now is a delayed/no-vax friendly dr he suggests a few(very few. He doesn't agree with all the crazy vaxes they have out now), and leaves it totally up to tbe parents. S has only had a vit. K shot at birth and i think not vaxng him has been great.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

I find it incredibly rude that one would think that the reason a parent makes such an important decision is based on JM...who, by the way, besides being on some mag, I have no idea what she really does.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote